Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
BTW you can pretty easily mod POTD to keep its larger number of enemies but set their stats to normal levels, so that the foes don't feel so spongy at the beginning in TB.

Unfortunately it just gets even easier later as a result, so hm.

Tigranes

Arcane
Re. Magran - I meant for RT. Seems OK for TB.

It seems like there are some oddities around TB rules (as expected), but yes, it seems to help make two-handers a bit more viable, for which I am glad.

POTD isn't very spongy if you're running optimised parties - if you're not & you're below the curve on accuracy or something else, I can imagine it gets a bit sloggy.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seems people have not tried Streetfighters with two-handers (such as Estocs). They are plenty fast and plenty viable even in real time when you trigger the Streetfighter speed boost (and you usually can).
Actually once you amass a certain amount of speed boosts, dual-wielding after the nerf really starts to fall off.
Admittedly it remains the best option for damaging Full Attacks.

Zakhad

Savant
So I held off on this because Pillars 1 was only OK, and only after a whole lot of patches, and even then, never as good as I wanted it to be.

But finally played 16 hours or so of this with the new TB mode and I really like it. Combat system with TB is way better than half the games a lot of us love (e.g. Arcanum, PST). Just makes me realise how bad RTWP is as a system. This is a million times better. Don't know what the complaints are with the plot and writing either, all seems fine... about equal to BG2, which is where it's aiming. The big weakness is the lack of villain, and I guess that might bring it down as the game goes on. But (and maybe it's because my expectations were really low), so far I've been really pleasantly surprised.

Tigranes

Arcane
I've gone with Eothas, Ondra, Rymrgand (modded to include Woedica's "Prepared Meals only for healing" section) and Skaen.

The drake & digsite is a pain as usual, but we'll see how the difficulty is after that. It certainly does seem to change some of the dynamics.

At the digsite, my experience wasn't you couldn't really 'pull' enemies easily (or even accidentally) like in RT, but you could try and set them up in a bottleneck, e.g. to keep the Boars at bay; they collide a lot more and can't just skate through each other like in RT. Together with engagement changes where you don't engage enemies automatically by being close to them, perhaps turn-based makes bottlenecks & space management easier? We will see.

Eder could Escape as a free action as well, making it a lot more useful than in RT to raise deflection, move around, and again manage the battlefield more deliberately.

user

Savant
can't just skate through each other like in RT.

Fuck that skating, it was the most annoying thing in the game, only second to five consecutive spells missing against an equally leveled enemy with a fucking 20 perception wizard.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Don't know what the complaints are with the plot and writing either, all seems fine... about equal to BG2, which is where it's aiming. The big weakness is the lack of villain, and I guess that might bring it down as the game goes on.
The writing becomes a more severe problem as you progress through the main quest. A lot of the side content (companion quests being the primary exception) is acceptably written.

Reinhardt

Arcane
25744.jpg

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The drake & digsite is a pain as usual

It's a wonder how no one has bothered to kill this commonplace myth. Both of those fights are entirely skippable with stealth.

I'm not saying one *should* stealth it away, particularly with a party of 3 (or 5), but it's an easy option for those who think it's a pain or whatever. Both fights are eminently soloable, anyhow.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

It's a wonder how no one has bothered to kill this commonplace myth. Both of those fights are entirely skippable with stealth.

Don't you have to kill everything in order for them to get out of the cage? They seem to refuse to do so if you don't?

No. You can skip to the arena sub level, finish the quest, and both packs will be cleared, with the NPCs waiting outside.

Tigranes

Arcane

I'm not saying one *should* stealth it away, particularly with a party of 3 (or 5), but it's an easy option for those who think it's a pain or whatever. Both fights are eminently soloable, anyhow.

Oh, sure you can. I enjoy fighting them, and I like the fact that there's a big roadblock early on to test your party. I meant it's difficult as usual.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Man, the game is way, way better turn-based but some of the encounters and areas were definitely not ever meant to be played turn-based in their current forms. Poko Kohara turn-based is a nightmare, every single room is a battle that takes 20 minutes. So far, it's taken me 2 1/2 hours and I still have 3 more battles left on the second floor. Good god.

bataille

Arcane
Man, the game is way, way better turn-based but some of the encounters and areas were definitely not ever meant to be played turn-based in their current forms. Poko Kohara turn-based is a nightmare, every single room is a battle that takes 20 minutes. So far, it's taken me 2 1/2 hours and I still have 3 more battles left on the second floor. Good god.

I've designed my team to wear the enemies down by killing them with a thousand cuts while keeping at (near)full health. Needless to say, that it took me 35 (thirty five) minutes to clear the first pack of 3 sand blights and a dozen grubs.
I'm kinda demoralized and don't want to launch the game again...
:cry:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

I've designed my team to wear the enemies down by killing them with a thousand cuts while keeping at (near)full health. Needless to say, that it took me 35 (thirty five) minutes to clear the first pack of 3 sand blights and a dozen grubs.
I'm kinda demoralized and don't want to launch the game again...
:cry:
That giant statue took me the entirety of this album -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_zOpHsKPz4

No joke, start to finish. Maybe a little longer. Get yourself some music or watch a movie or something.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
If it takes you that long to win battles, it's because you're not paying attention to enemy defenses.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom