Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
1,2,3 - The factions don't have much to do with the drama about the Gods and the wheel. People, including myself, seem to be satisfied enough with the faction plotlines.

They still count as examples of player agency. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.
In a largely unrelated part of the plot that I'm not criticising. Sure, it has agency there, never meant to say otherwise.

You can argue the presentation was bad, but it's still player agency. There are 13 different endings based on what you tell Eothas to do in the final conversation.
The main plot is fundamentally garbage because it has an invincible protagonist, it's not merely bad presentation. If your defense of the player's role in the main quest is that you get to pick ending slides in the last of the derisory conversations, why are you defending it at all?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The main plot is fundamentally garbage because it has an invincible protagonist, it's not merely bad presentation.

Not sure what argument you're trying to make. Invincible protagonist? Judging by the fact that Eothas crushes you the moment you fight him, that's not true.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll repeat my suggestion: How about QUIT ADDING MID GAME EXPANSIONS YOU FUCKS

then you can design encounters knowing that players will be at max/post-OC levels

but no that would actually make sense

fk u obsidian

Well, yeah, but consider the completion rate statistics. Would you really want to narrow down the potential market for your DLC that much?

mitochondritom

Educated
1,2,3 - The factions don't have much to do with the drama about the Gods and the wheel. People, including myself, seem to be satisfied enough with the faction plotlines.
As for 4, ending slides are not a substitute for having something to do in the plot of the game itself. And the conversation with Eothas is pathetic, you don't seem to need any stats, items or knowledge to persuade him. You can try to persuade the literal God of Redemption to annihilate all life, and if you fail to persuade him by giving a lame non-reason, he still does it anyway. It's ironic, you are finally granted agency with Eothas but it's retarded: you can persuade him of anything for no reason. It's like turning up to the Master in Fallout, telling him he's wrong. But you don't say his mutants are sterile and you don't have the evidence of it anyway. So he ignores your non-existent argument. But then he ''feels doubt'' and self destructs anyway. That's literally how bad the last conversation of PoE2 is.

Compared to the ending of White March P2 where you confront the Endless and deal with Abydon, Deadfire was really weak in comparison. I understand that the Eothas encounter at the finale was deemed too long and was butchered, which in itself lead to a bunch of stuff not making sense regarding the Wheel and what came before. It is actually mind boggling that they decided to do that. It is still not clear to me after 60 hours of the game what the hell Eothas was doing when he possessed Waidwen. Why did he not just manifest as a gigantic statue for round one? Especially because Waidwen was nuked by a bomb and yet Green Dr Manhattan can withstand a volcano then a tsunami.

Something about this game has left me a little soured on the setting. And really, I was a bit of a Pillars of Eternity apologist anyway. I wanted to love this game, but the story was just so poorly constructed. I hate that they went hard on stupid romances, chasing Whedonite Dragon Age lovers and in doing so we got Xoti. Fucksake, it could have been good.

Sizzle

Arcane
Honestly though the Obsidian's decision to do a direct sequel AND double down on gods retardation is momumental mistake.

It could have been done well, but they kept (and made even more prominent) the most boring parts of the gods (namely - their bickering and passivity).

What you end up with is a pantheon that's at once so dull, incompetent, and yet still arrogant - you want to bitch slap them all. And I doubt that was the experience they were aiming for.
I think "wanting to bitch slap the gods" was one of their goals

He deliberately took away player agency? Why - in order to make some flimsy point? Now, I - and I'm sure most players, too - wasn't expecting a traditional combat showdown with Eothas, but I was expecting some way to influence the goddamn plot in ways that didn't just amount to: "Eothas, sir, could you pretty please break the wheel in a way that benefits my allies?" Like BING XI LAO said, the Watcher's connection to the adra made me think we would have an option to somehow enter Eothas (probably with divine assistance), and do something. It also further demonstrates how the rest of the game doesn't have almost any connection to the Eothas part - you don't need to muck about with the factions, all you need is enough gold to purchase the best ship. Amateurish, and a wasted narrative & gameplay opportunity.

As to the gods being pricks - this is a game. It's fine when you have characters like these (a common staple of RPGs - characters which are more powerful than you at the beginning of the game and bully you into doing their tasks for them), but not having the option to somehow fuck them up or tell them to shove it isn't. There's no pay-off, just plenty of negative build-up.

Is it more realistic like this? Maybe, but I also play games in order to get a dose of power fulfillment. New Vegas was also pretty down to earth, but there you actually could accomplish great deeds and kill off all the NPCs that thought you were their subordinate, while here you play tag along to an impervious giant statue and a go-between a bunch of assholes that can't be bothered to communicate directly.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
ss_79f42f61b7867f79e6b4d5d71eaa970255626fc9.600x338.jpg

ss_c90191d06805893c10f18444687d62283b234e9a.600x338.jpg

ss_8e9b6991194e680960a0f0e3987449c92b53dabd.600x338.jpg

ss_17f79b7579949348a454c28df74e813baf487a32.600x338.jpg

ss_dfe27353ac3e5689bd70df0c76bf3076294f5c23.600x338.jpg

ss_a09b58719e9efcca7077cb7daa0c3e881f74c2c0.600x338.jpg

ss_1bb1783945ea10f1c3b26c7181cea20aac66c93c.600x338.jpg

ss_88e14b4cc71dd9552f088cd86dbaf6dc70d9ab92.600x338.jpg

ss_b5b6af1f9ca17330103695ac2af6da697778206a.600x338.jpg

Far in the southernmost reaches of the Deadfire Archipelago, frost and death have encroached upon the land of the living. You, Watcher, have received a missive from the isle's residents: worshipers of Rymrgand, the god of entropy and disaster. They call you Duskspeaker, a harbinger of the end, and pray you fulfill your destiny.

In this new DLC for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire:

• Embark upon an adventure that will take you to Hel itself.
  • Join forces with Vatnir, an Endings Godlike and Priest of Rymrgand, to bring battle to the monstrosities that roam the Beyond.
  • Confront an ancient dragon, whom even the gods fear, before she brings Eora to an icy end

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Yeah. I shared evidence of Waiden, the godhammer, and the dozen awhile back in the thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Confront an ancient dragon, whom even the gods fear, before she brings Eora to an icy end
okay they're really ripping off IWD here.

I also see some sort of time travelling lore visioning stuff happening for players to re-live the events that were more interesting than actual story as players were asking all the time I guess

Piotrovitz

Savant
Is this reasonably patched yet, i.e there are no initially OPd as fuck classes, like cipher in PoE etc?

Not sure if I should hold on for few months more with first playthrough.

Also, are loading times at least slightly shorter than atrociously long ones in first one?

mitochondritom

Educated
I understand that the Eothas encounter at the finale was deemed too long and was butchered
SERIOUSLY? How is Obshitian THIS BAD!!?!? :x

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/174058952291/so-is-the-idea-that-before-the-wheel

It is quite frustrating that it was excised. In fact, I only really understand what is happening because I have read peoples summaries and also things that developers have written on Tumbler, Twitter and Reddit etc.

I am beginning to get the impression that nobody at Obsidian really agrees on the actual mechanics of the reality of Eora and all this soul guff. Hence someone writes Xoti sucking souls into her Lantern Ghostbusters style and then Eothas who has some souls inside him (including your part of your own). Or the Watcher who has half a soul, but can be a monk with twin souls ability (1/4th of a soul?). Oh and the Watcher also has a bell inside him and can erupt with other souls (but only once). It also seems in Deadfire that the Watcher peering into everyone's previous incarnations has disappeared (or is ignored).

Souls power everything and somehow the metaphysics of the world not only allow the purple soul ghosts to move through Adra, but if the Adra is special (luminous?!) you can teleport through it for realz. Actually writing it all out just reveals, frankly, how much of a mess it is.

Just think that the Engwithans could suicide into Gods using souls and Adra, but hadn't sussed out that you can teleport with it.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Sawyer went all in on the normie pandering. That last conversation could have been five times as long and that'd've been fine. Since the game didn't even release with a functional hard/PotD setting either, it's pandering to normies on both combat and story and is therefore shit. PoE1 had so much more potential than this.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sawyer went all in on the normie pandering. That last conversation could have been five times as long and that'd've been fine. Since the game didn't even release with a functional hard/PotD setting either, it's pandering to normies on both combat and story and is therefore shit. PoE1 had so much more potential than this.
No matter to who they pander,the game will be shit. Obsidian simply lack talent at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom