Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

TedNugent

Arcane
It starts that way in Tutorial Island but soon enough PotD is more of a guarantee against overlevelling.
Asking again - does PotD "inflate" base stats or does it change the level scaling?

Delterius

Arcane
It starts that way in Tutorial Island but soon enough PotD is more of a guarantee against overlevelling.
Asking again - does PotD "inflate" base stats or does it change the level scaling?
i think deadfire potd both inflates enemy stats and puts more enemies in every fight. level scaling is another option. overlevelling isn't an issue just because of stats, it's just that your options widen exponentially and the game doesn't always keep up. especially if you only scale levels in path critical fights.

CommunityGoat

Literate
Did you test it only for technical issues or gameplay-related?

We did both, actually. We had to make sure the game was ready to be ported for PS and Xbox so it was pretty important. We had to certify it and mark it ready for console gameplay. At the same time, we had to make sure there were minimal visual bugs, no story skipping, quest completion, item presence (in shops, sidequest, quest completion, etc.), general functionality with buttons and anything you can interact with (even when repeatedly changing settings and languages). Basically we had to push this game to its limits and exhaust possibilities of it going wrong. If it went wrong we had to report it, naturally.

I reached the performance of finishing the game in 3 hours (without sidequests ofc) for the general sweep on the game. I would basically do this everyday first thing in the morning, then go to other specific tasks. It was pretty insane but I had fun with this game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Did you test it only for technical issues or gameplay-related?

We did both, actually. We had to make sure the game was ready to be ported for PS and Xbox so it was pretty important. We had to certify it and mark it ready for console gameplay. At the same time, we had to make sure there were minimal visual bugs, no story skipping, quest completion, item presence (in shops, sidequest, quest completion, etc.), general functionality with buttons and anything you can interact with (even when repeatedly changing settings and languages). Basically we had to push this game to its limits and exhaust possibilities of it going wrong. If it went wrong we had to report it, naturally.

I reached the performance of finishing the game in 3 hours (without sidequests ofc) for the general sweep on the game. I would basically do this everyday first thing in the morning, then go to other specific tasks. It was pretty insane but I had fun with this game.
After being put through this crucible, do you think you could ever play it for fun? Just curious :D

BTW, I'm going to sound not one but two unpopular opinions this time.

1. I actually like TB mode and think it suits the complex systems of afflictions/inspirations, penetration requiring to prepare weapons, etc.

2. I find the walking animation, with an increased walking movement speed to be much more visually pleasing (and reminiscent of the IE games) than the running animation which makes movement too slow to fit the animation itself.
Put this in a Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\override\WalkSpeedMod\design\gamedata\mod_walk_speed.gamedatabundle file and switch your characters to walking:
{
"GameDataObjects": [
{
"$type": "Game.GameData.MoverGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
"DebugName": "Default Mover",
"ID": "c0bbfe6c-aa45-4018-b89e-fb51f9bcbf90",
"Components": [
{
"$type": "Game.GameData.MoverComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
"Radius": 0.5,
"Acceleration": 1024,
"AnimationRunSpeed": 4,
"AnimationWalkSpeed": 2.5,
"RunSpeed": 4,
"WalkSpeed": 3.5,
"ClipThroughObstacles": "false",
"CanFly": "false",
"CanJump": "Default",
"OverrideDefaultRotationRates": "false",
"StationaryInCombatRotationRate": 960,
"StationaryOutOfCombatRotationRate": 480,
"MovingRotationRate": 720,
"MovingSubtleRotationRate": 180,
"MovingSubtleRotationThreshold": 38,
"SlogForceWalk": "true",
"SlogVFX": "true"​
}​
]​
}​
]​
}

They will walk with (almost) the same speed as they used to run with, but the animation looks better.

I'm going through my backlog, picking which is next. I'm contemplating Deadfire (I was gifted it, including all DLCs). While I found PoE 1 to be thoroughly bland, I've read that combat in Deadfire is significantly better. That's all I want. I'm not really interested in plot. For someone who thought PoE was mediocre, is Deadfire worth a second chance? Is it a worthy combatfag game?

PS: I'm a mage supremecist. Hated wizards in PoE1, thought Ciphers were alright. Was unimpressed with priests and druids, but either were better than wizards. Are any of them better in Deadfire?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm going through my backlog, picking which is next. I'm contemplating Deadfire (I was gifted it, including all DLCs). While I found PoE 1 to be thoroughly bland, I've read that combat in Deadfire is significantly better. That's all I want. I'm not really interested in plot. For someone who thought PoE was mediocre, is Deadfire worth a second chance? Is it a worthy combatfag game?

PS: I'm a mage supremecist. Hated wizards in PoE1, thought Ciphers were alright. Was unimpressed with priests and druids, but either were better than wizards. Are any of them better in Deadfire?

Bloodmage Assassins are great. Even more so in Turn Based mode.

Lambach

Arcane
Now a bunch of people will say PoE has better combat than Deadfire. IMO Deadfire's combat is better.

Everything is better in Deadfire, it's a pretty massive improvement in every aspect over the utterly mediocre original. Except maybe the main plot, I'll have to give that one to the original, not because it's good, but because Deadfire's was just really dumb.

Giving it a shot. So far, cautiously optimistic. Games looks and runs great on Linux. Went with a single-class blood mage since spells are now per encounter. The spells seems a bit less "meh" than in PoE1, but I think that's just because I can basically use them at will now. Trying to get a handle on skills. Are there any that are of very limited value?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finally gave this a shot, years later. Whoever approved that ship-to-ship combat UI making it into an actual game should be ritually castrated. Otherwise not too bad. Feels pretty blah compared to the Pathfinder games though, both in terms of mechanical diversity, and area/encounter design.

Parabalus

Arcane

it buffs enemies' stats. there's no level scaling by default

veteran just adds more and harder enemies, doesn't change their stats

Other difficulties nerf stats, PotD is the baseline.

Does anyone mind explaining how the combat in Deadfire is better than POE?

More stuff you have to react to, and ways to react to them. Slower default pace. More interesting combos/abilities. Tactics to remove all tedious auto-pilot actions (like no-brainer self-buffs). Best-in-class itemization and it's interaction with characters.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
+Deadfire: more clarity, much more diverse builds, more combart interactions
-Deadfire: more contrived/simplified systems (afflictions), more plain bad systems (penetration)

TedNugent

Arcane
Other difficulties nerf stats, PotD is the baseline
Wait - you mean the other difficulties, NPCs have negative modifiers relative to the playable characters?

I was under the impression that POTD took base stats and gave them +15/+15 accuracy/deflection over what was achievable with the core stats in the game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Tactics to remove all tedious auto-pilot actions (like no-brainer self-buffs).
Stuff like Marked enemy, etc. still has to be spammed every time.

Marked enemy specifically doesn't need to, unless you are choosing the AA target yourself.

Think even if that case you can use the +tactics options mod to make it auto-cast on AA target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom