Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lambach

Arcane
To those that "know", as in, those that use NWN for its intended purpose - a game engine where u can download other user's adventures and play through them - NWN is probably one of the most amazing CRPGs ever. That is because there is a wealth, and I mean a WEALTH of user modules that range from good to extraordinary that one can play with a very sound engine and ruleset in NWN. Hope that helps! :)

Download whatever you want, there is no salvaging a game based on D&D 3.0 in which you can't control a full party. Imagine playing a non-caster class and having dozens of hours worth of gameplay consist of left-clicking stuff and watching passively as they die, only occasionally opening your inventory to pop a potion.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
IWD is good,
how long until the codex starts saying NWN is good

Glad you're around to keep asking the dumb questions, rusty. This would be like Volourn asking how long until the Codex would starts saying Fallout 76 is good.
I give it two years until people are praising NWN as misunderstood.

If only there was a rating that was both fabulously optimistic and retadred. Oh well.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
To those that "know", as in, those that use NWN for its intended purpose - a game engine where u can download other user's adventures and play through them - NWN is probably one of the most amazing CRPGs ever. That is because there is a wealth, and I mean a WEALTH of user modules that range from good to extraordinary that one can play with a very sound engine and ruleset in NWN. Hope that helps! :)

Download whatever you want, there is no salvaging a game based on D&D 3.0 in which you can't control a full party. Imagine playing a non-caster class and having dozens of hours worth of gameplay consisting of left-clicking stuff and watching passively as they die, only occasionally opening your inventory to pop a potion.

I sort of agree with this. NWN sucks dick all day, but the people who were really into PWs and saw that as the evolution of online RPGs and who loved NWN for supporting that are a different sort. That's actually truer to TTRPGs than CRPGs are.

Not sure what any of this has to do with POE 2 though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's toned down from the "epic fantasy" standard, and says much with few words. Just re-watch the intro cinematic, or watch a lets-play and hear the dialogues in Chapter 1.

Hey. You could watch my LP, i just started one for IWD1:EE. :) youtube.com/gamegodfluent <3
Some bold words, that Beamdog made the game playable on modern PCs :)
I've only played the original, community-patched. Though still want to do a playthrough of the EE, just to experience the differences in the ruleset, and create a half-orc barbarian.

You know what could be really cool - make an LP of the turn-based Deadfire (yes, the turn-based!), with an all-custom party of codexer characters.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
If that's the dumbest thing I said then by my standards I'm doing pretty well. :D

But yeah, that was wrong of me to say. The game I think worked fine before the EE on most systems.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh has said in retrospectives/answers to questions, that IWD was a low-priority project, sort of "can we push a quick game with the same engine, and with minimal effort, by assigning interns and junior people?" This lead to the positive side-effect that they didn't have much writing or voice acting because there was no budget.

Minimal effort is a bit exaggerated. IWD had about the same density of voice acting as Baldur's Gate and had better graphics. It was just a smaller, simpler game.

TedNugent

Arcane
I've started a playthrough on PotD, and I was very annoyed to find when I checked the combat logs against Benweth, he had 10 penetration with a fine saber. The detailed breakdown was 7 saber + 1 fine + 2 PotD.

So PotD gives +15 to accuracy, +15 to deflection, and +2 to penetration.

I feel like it would be easy to put this in the tooltip when you select the difficulty at the start of the game.
:rpgcodex:

The reason this troubles me is it makes me question even more the point of light and medium armor without AR bonuses.

Even with base penetration, you have 7 penetration with most one handers against 7 on medium armors base AR. So that actually makes base AR for most weapons like spears, sabers, etc actually 9 on PotD, making even the base AR on heavy armor equal to the penetration of a base saber, meaning they get penetration, e.g. 100% damage. Would you not be better off just ditching armor rating above 5 in PotD unless you can somehow get at least +1 AR and heavy armor on a tank? The recovery penalties are not inconsequential, and penetration above = doesn't really matter until it doubles out.

Luckily I built my crusader-faggot to have an AR aura and unbroken, so that trying to get some underpenetration is not completely pointless on him, at least.

I am not a huge fan of how the armor rating system works...

Also, my crusader's defensive and accuracy stats shit all over Eder. And he can heal. Great.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You know what could be really cool - make an LP of the turn-based Deadfire (yes, the turn-based!), with an all-custom party of codexer characters.
Another cool idea would be to shave your balls with a rusty razor
Harder TB combat encounters can take up to half an hour in my experience, which is yeah, not that interesting to a non-Deadfire player. But at the same time, there is a lack of good TB letsplays. It would give him the chance to be the go-to source if someone is looking into what is TB Deadfire like.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
If that's the dumbest thing I said then by my standards I'm doing pretty well. :D

But yeah, that was wrong of me to say. The game I think worked fine before the EE on most systems.
BTW, since it's a 56 mins video, it would be nice if you add timestamps so people can at least skip your presenting of the game options and go to the gameplay. You can always include the difficulty you're playing at in the description.

Lambach

Arcane
I've started a playthrough on PotD, and I was very annoyed to find when I checked the combat logs against Benweth, he had 10 penetration with a fine saber. The detailed breakdown was 7 saber + 1 fine + 2 PotD.

So PotD gives +15 to accuracy, +15 to deflection, and +2 to penetration.

I feel like it would be easy to put this in the tooltip when you select the difficulty at the start of the game.
:rpgcodex:

The reason this troubles me is it makes me question even more the point of light and medium armor without AR bonuses.

Even with base penetration, you have 7 penetration with most one handers against 7 on medium armors base AR. So that actually makes base AR for most weapons like spears, sabers, etc actually 9 on PotD, making even the base AR on heavy armor equal to the penetration of a base saber, meaning they get penetration, e.g. 100% damage. Would you not be better off just ditching armor rating above 5 in PotD unless you can somehow get at least +1 AR and heavy armor on a tank? The recovery penalties are not inconsequential, and penetration above = doesn't really matter until it doubles out.

Luckily I built my crusader-faggot to have an AR aura and unbroken, so that trying to get some underpenetration is not completely pointless on him, at least.

I am not a huge fan of how the armor rating system works...

Other than the heaviest armor that can noticeably reduce damage coming from weaker enemies, but very rarely against the heavy-hitters, on PotD I pretty much didn't even bother with the actual Armor Ratings and looked at only the enchantments. Maia and Aloth finished the game in their starting armors and my Watcher finished the game with armor I found during the first 10% of the game or so. There are probably ways to stack a much higher armor rating on a character through abilities (Robust Inspiration gives +2 IIRC), other pieces of equipment, pets etc. but meh, in my party Eder face-tanks everything with his sky-high Deflection, those regenerative abilities and heals from the rest of the party. It's probably best to have everyone other than Eder and Pallegina in Light Armor or Robes for lower Recovery Time penalties. Medium Armor scales horribly, enemy Penetration will outscale any amount of armor you get from even a Legendary piece fairly early in the game and the Recovery Time penalty is hefty.

Armor Ratings against elements are the only ones I payed attention to and made sure they're high because I wanted Aloth to be able to blast indiscriminately and not kill Eder in the process. Other than that, it's not really useful.

Codex Year of the Donut

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
IWD popularity is the end result of codex hipsterism
same reason they're moving on from IWD to IWD2 now
hope that clears things up
Weird, IWD and IWD2 have always been two of my favorite games. How did the codex influence my opinions before I even knew of its existence?

Discarding others' opinions as edgy, pretentious, and contrarian is fine, but it becomes ridiculous when you're the one shilling for Divinity: Original Sin and Fallout 76.

Codex Year of the Donut
IWD popularity is the end result of codex hipsterism
same reason they're moving on from IWD to IWD2 now
hope that clears things up
Weird, IWD and IWD2 have always been two of my favorite games. How did the codex influence my opinions before I even knew of its existence?

Discarding others' opinions as edgy, pretentious, and contrarian is fine, but it becomes ridiculous when you're the one shilling for Divinity: Original Sin and Fallout 76.
don't be mad at me because I'm not a hipster

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm just pointing out that you guys are hipsters for liking an IE game that has only combat
and it's true
As head of the official IWD Fan Brigade, I acknowledge your opinion and thank you for this invaluable contribution.

Also, of course I play IWD exclusively for the combat...

JWr6d3d.jpg

...no other reason

:shredder:

GloomFrost

Arcane
Nobody is mad at you, rustolindo.

You're the one who throws a hissy fit every time someone mentions that he likes IWD.
I'm just pointing out that you guys are hipsters for liking an IE game that has only combat
and it's true
IWD (especially the first one) got a really good plot and some well written characters. Just because it doesn't have massive lore dumps, woke companions and endless walls of texts doesn't mean it "has only combat". I would still pick IWD over like 80% of modern "RPGs".

Codex Year of the Donut
Nobody is mad at you, rustolindo.

You're the one who throws a hissy fit every time someone mentions that he likes IWD.
and it's true
IWD (especially the first one) got a really good plot and some well written characters. Just because it doesn't have massive lore dumps, woke companions and endless walls of texts doesn't mean it "has only combat". I would still pick IWD over like 80% of modern "RPGs".
like all IE games, it's shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom