Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I edited my post.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only drawback of the TB mode is the debalancing of recovery times when they are converted to mean "turn order within the round".

That "Only" means that heaviest armor has no downside, spell/ability cast and recovery times are almost meaningless (except for Free Actions), many weapon modals have no downside, Dex is a dump stat. Minor?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
BTW, Haplo , have you managed to find out what's the logic followed by Marux Amanth for filling up the "Inflict fire damage" meter? I keep spamming Soul ignition with my cipher (Ydwin), but it only gets a couple points per fight or none at all. I read that it's bugged but I think it's more likely that the rules are unclear about how it counts the fire damage.

No idea, haven't used it. I'm guessing it might be only calculating the initial tick of a DOT.
Wall spells are not considered a character's damage at all for example (but rather environmental hazards).

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The only drawback of the TB mode is the debalancing of recovery times when they are converted to mean "turn order within the round".

That "Only" means that heaviest armor has no downside, spell/ability cast and recovery times are almost meaningless (except for Free Actions), many weapon modals have no downside, Dex is a dump stat. Minor?

Compared to the convenience of not having to pause like a machine, break the flow of combat, have overlapping graphical effects, yeah it's minor for me.

I still make RP decisions to use light armors where I think it's appropriate. And I've completed the game on PotD, so I don't need to stroke the e-peen any more.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Couple of minutes with AI scripts and RtWP can run on autopilot without having to go TB and fights taking 4 times as long.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maia Rua is the only good companion (and the only adult companion period) so you should recruit her regardless
Grunker anon! Good strong Danish skeleton anon! Give me cute Xoti wife anon! Give me cute redneck lesbian lantern wife anon! Xoti wife does give me maximum soreness anon! She does! Tank you anon! You are a good anon anon!

Not you too!

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly surprised at how unbalanced TB is when it could have been so easily improved just by not having rounds.

What do you mean by this? That some spells takes 2 turns to cast?
Most of the issues with TB are caused by having rounds where each unit gets one turn.
If it was simply turn by initiative without rounds then it would better model recovery, dex, etc.,

It's a strange choice because the deadfire system directly maps to the roundless variant.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
And stats poor. Character wise he's cool, but his usefulness on PotD is dubious.

Yosharian

Arcane
I meant in terms of the things that you can't change with a respec mod

Of course his actual vanilla stats/classes are bad

AwesomeButton

Patron
I used this painter's autoportrait for Waidwen in my colored portraits for conversations mod, and the results will amaze you
482px-Eduard_von_Gebhardt_-_Eesti_talumees.jpg

Lambach

Arcane
And stats poor. Character wise he's cool, but his usefulness on PotD is dubious.

Ancestor's Memory alone is worth always having a pure Cipher in the Party, imho. Or at least against bosses. I don't have even a working idea of how I'd beat the DLC bosses on PotD without being able to freely spam Xoti's and Aloth's spells, specially the 8th and 9th level ones, thanks to Ancestor's Memory.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I've never had a pure cipher in Deadfire and I did fine.
I did not bother with the "megabosses" much, true, since they are on a different scale and frankly don't fit to the rest of the game. They enforce very specific tactics and party compositions in order to efficiently beat. Think I've only beaten the wizard one. The spider one should be easy enough, but I did not bother.

If you rely on nukes and don't have a Blood Mage, I guess Ancestor's Memory is very handy. But hardly necessary for normal gameplay.

Plus if you insist on a pure cipher, I guess Ydwin is better then Serafen. Or better yet, hire a subclass merc, as the subclasses are generally far better then the vanilla cipher for their intended applications.
Probably a Beguiler, as he can spam CC on mobs non-stop, regardless of his martial damage. Ascendant is also sweet (but requires a little more attention). Psion would be good vs the megabosses, as he doesn't need to damage enemies to gain Focus. Though personally I'd always multiclass a Psion with another caster, possibly Chanter.

Though a Transcendant (Ascendant or Soulblade / Fobidden Fist) is my favourite by far.

TedNugent

Arcane
If you recruit Maia, does Pallegina not show up at the Vailian Trading Company HQ?

She's got her chest symbol tarnished and wasn't at the queen's palace.
Apparently you didn't complete Pallegina's quest in PoE in a favorable way, so now her reputation is tarnished, and she is not a Vailian agent anymore.

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Pallegina
  • Her recruitment location would depend on the result of her mission in the first game. If she disobeyed the ducs, you can meet her at the square of Queen's Berth district, Neketaka. She refuses to join you this time, but you can recruit her later in Vailian Trading Company Headquarters after you visit the Kahanga Palace and speak with the queen. If Pallegina obeyed the ducs (or disobeyed them, but your decision was to strenghthen souls in Dyrwood), you can recruit her directly in the palace after the conversation with the queen and the diplomats.
It literally says right there she should be in the VTC HQ. I snuck in, she wasn't there. I didn't strengthen the Dyrwood, but cripes. I took Maia. The VTC rep even said she would be taken to the HQ, but she wasn't at the HQ like both the in game text and the quoted text said she should be.

TedNugent

Arcane
Iirc you don't get her until after you meet the queen if she was disgraced.
The initial meeting with the two reps where they offered a companion? Or a second meeting?

I already did the first meeting where you can recruit Maia, which I did. Right then, the VTC rep said to send for Pallegina at the VTC HQ.

But after I picked Maia, he started grumbling.

Codex Year of the Donut
The initial meeting with the two reps where they offered a companion? Or a second meeting?

I already did the first meeting where you can recruit Maia, which I did. Right then, the VTC rep said to send for Pallegina at the VTC HQ.

Are you sure you're at the VTC HQ and not the RDC or principi?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Try entering during the day, openly, maybe? I think the NPCs might be a bit different if you sneak in during the night?

TedNugent

Arcane
One on one, or in the audience with the reps?

I know the Prince said I can't meet her again until I complete his task.

But like I said, I already saw the queen during the audience.

Are you sure you're at the VTC HQ and not the RDC or principi?
The one where I got in through the toilet/sewers. Pretty hard to miss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom