Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
One thing that still fucking infuriates me is how soundtracks always cuts in retarded ways. I'm swimming around, enjoying the shanties and then , WHAM, they stop playing because I stepped out of the ship for 2 seconds to pick up some fruit. The same goes with rest of the soundtrack. It's pretty bad in and of itself, but it doesn't help that I never get to hear the whole track, like, any of them, before they cut.

Fucking hell what a retarded design. I started another run because I gotta beat SSS with level scaling, but eventually I just ended up playing the soundtrack from the mp3s with the game muted.

Get your shit together Obsidian.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is there a way to make a monk's AI cast a summon (i.e. The Dichotomous Soul) whenever he has wounds for it and it isn't cast already? I can figure the first part out, but not how to avoid my monk just spamming it right after finishing the first cast, if he has enough wounds.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
One thing that still fucking infuriates me is how soundtracks always cuts in retarded ways. I'm swimming around, enjoying the shanties and then , WHAM, they stop playing because I stepped out of the ship for 2 seconds to pick up some fruit. The same goes with rest of the soundtrack. It's pretty bad in and of itself, but it doesn't help that I never get to hear the whole track, like, any of them, before they cut.

Fucking hell what a retarded design. I started another run because I gotta beat SSS with level scaling, but eventually I just ended up playing the soundtrack from the mp3s with the game muted.

They turned reactive music off by default in the last patch. Check your settings.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

They turned reactive music off by default in the last patch. Check your settings.
I think "reactive music" only means that the track will react to whether you are sneaking or walking, by including more instruments into the melody. There is a post by Justin Bell on the Obsidian forum. Reactive music also add changes to music at certain dialogue junctions. Damned if I ever felt the effects of any of this. The music in this game is a huge wasted opportunity, real shame.

In other news:
Practicing perfect tactical discipline, I beat the final encounter in Poko Kohara, only get slaughtered by 1 greater sand blight, 4 sand blights and 2 sand beetles upon taking the fast exit from the dungeon's last level to the surface. I'm really not feeling like it - I'll backtrack through the whole dungeon and use the front entrance instead of the quick exit so I don't have to run into that combat.

Also, the fact that an armor costing 26 000 cp can be damaged and ultimately destroyed in combat really makes you consider what gear to enter combat with. Whoever was crying about lack of long term resource management should check this out. I wonder if they'll actually implement the challenge where abilities are per rest only. It will quickly get crazy if played together with a couple of other challenges

Last edited:
Vatnik Wumao
jBOSZeO.jpg

So this is the etymological origin of that meme storm made up by Sawyer whose name I can't spell.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
'Wick' means "village" in old German (I believe) and is an equivalent of the Latin 'vicus'. But I'm not sure if Bîaŵac has anything to do with "wick", could be a coincidence. Pillars' Glanfathan is based on Gaelic languages (Cornish, Welsh, Irish), so the etymology could be completely different.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A pox and a kick in the balls to whoever designed the Waidwen-section of Beast of Winter. Christ that was like being locked inside a room for a week with only GD to keep me company

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also what's with the fights in this place? The smooth - if perhaps easier compared to PoE1 - challenges of the main game have so far been substituted with HP sponges that pose no significant long term threat but take forever to bring down. I guess this was what you were talking about, Prime Junta?

The only satisfying fight so far were the frost shades that rushed your back line and spawned Greater Ice Blights when they died. That was cool.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Did you also like how you have to wait for a boring animation then a loading screen about 17.000 thousand times even if you're sure about what to do, and woe to you if you aren't?

AwesomeButton

Patron
When I start getting annoyed by such things, for me it means I'm rushing through the game. Maybe take a little break and come back in the evening? :)

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Fan reception to the DLC has been mostly positive. Only negatives I've heard outside the codex is that it's too short, there are too many puzzles, and it's too hard (particularly Neriscylas).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
lol, I literally can't beat Neriscyrlas. It's not that it kills me. Quite the contrary. It's that once I get Neriscyrlas to the 50% hp trigger where she activates Llengrath's Safeguard, neither of us can kill the other. After 30 full minutes on the final try I just went fuck it. I can get her to about 25% at which point she heals back up.

I'm sorry but the encounter design in this DLC went down the drain. I don't mind losing to a build/gear/level/tactics check by being raped, but it speaks to a flaw when neither side can hurt the other. Most fights in the DLC (again, excepting the frost shades which were cool) have been push-overs, but very long push-overs due to mob-tankyness.

A far cry from White March's first, excellent dragon fight that had you juggling scary, jumpy adds while you attempted to decide what you focused on meanwhile having to kill the dragon itself fast enough to avoid getting AoE'd to death.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom