Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The narration isn't very good either. Let me find the file ...

This is from the Prologue which we saw in the E3 Demo

http://www.upload.ee/files/4241689/07_cv_prologue__7982.rar.html
Not good? No, this is awful. The BG prologue oozed atmosphere and charm, and don'T let me get started with IWD2, I wanted to marry the girl narrating the chapters after the first hearing. This is just trying too hard, and too grimdark. I hope it is just placeholder.

:love:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Not good? No, this is awful. The BG prologue oozed atmosphere and charm, and don'T let me get started with IWD2, I wanted to marry the girl narrating the chapters after the first hearing.

I'm sure Aerie would love to be married! She's so fucking needy and desperate, after all.

aleph

Arcane
The narration isn't very good either. Let me find the file ...

This is from the Prologue which we saw in the E3 Demo

http://www.upload.ee/files/4241689/07_cv_prologue__7982.rar.html
Not good? No, this is awful. The BG prologue oozed atmosphere and charm, and don'T let me get started with IWD2, I wanted to marry the girl narrating the chapters after the first hearing. This is just trying too hard, and too grimdark. I hope it is just placeholder.

:love:

Man, why is it seemingly impossible to develop similar stuff nowadays? :(

Duraframe300

Arcane
Kaz said:
BlueLion said:
I'm loving the art style of the Druid Level 1 abilities. Suits the style of the game much better than the placeholder images. Loving the small improvements I'm seeing. Keep it up OE.

Glad you like them! The druid spells you saw were done by Krystina who is another artist at Obsidian, and I think they turned out really good! I have a few artists helping me with icons now, so expect to see more new stuff in future patches!

Duraframe300

Arcane
He means Krystina Haggerty btw. Previously worked on South Park (and other projects in the meantime)

Athelas

Arcane
Good to hear all of those recordings are place holders.

There really is no excuse for having sub-par voicing in this game, when BGII was able to produce consistently awesome VA 14 fucking years ago. No excuse.
BGII had a LOT of terrible voice acting, including for some of the more prominent characters (Mellissan and the Bhaalspawn all have terrible VO imo, and who could forget Aerie?). Sure, there is David Warner, but he was in a league of his own. The Black Isle games generally had much better voice acting.

Mystary!

Arcane
Does that look balanced to you?

2H weapon attacks faster than 1H weapon and does like double the damage ... lol
1H gives you more deflection (from shield) or more accuracy (=more damage), although the indirect bonus damage from +15 accuracy is negligible compared to what you get after switching to 2H.

I am guessing the numbers will still be tweaked, but 1H with no shield is pretty much useless at the moment. Bonus deflection from shield is arguable IMO. 2x 1H faster attack is ok.
Sword and board always get the short end of the stick, when in reality it should be the most effective style. Something I'd like to see - as an attempt to buff shields - is to trigger attacks of opportunity on succesful blocks. And to prevent it from being too overpowered, blocking crits would cause the blocker to stagger instead.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^Cool in theory but attack speed needs to go down and combat clarity up before MORE attacks of opportunity can be thought of as a good idea. Right now, the concept itself is a major problem.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Warner would get my vote. Excellent actor who probably does a 1 take v.a. session while having lunch and still blow the other "talent" out of the water. As for Stewart, nah go for the real thing, Shatner. He would probably demand to v.a. the hero though.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sawyer:
That chart is a little out of date. I made it a few months ago. Two-handed weapons, one-handed weapons wielded alone, and one-handed weapons with shields now all have +50% Recovery Time. Dual-wielding has the fastest attack rate (even faster when used with two fast weapons like stilettos or rapiers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
^Cool in theory but attack speed needs to go down and combat clarity up before MORE attacks of opportunity can be thought of as a good idea. Right now, the concept itself is a major problem.

Attack speeds are pretty slow tbh, especially if you're wearing armor.

I've got a re-design of the whole combat system coming in the next few days.

Altered attribute system (all attributes useful for every class, 2 offensive, 2 defensive, 2 mixed), Altered weapon/style recovery times for more fluid combat, Animation suggestions, General combat mechanics tweaks.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
New post is up:
Joshua Eric Sawyer said:
Here are the basic mechanics for Interrupt (modified from the attack's Base Interrupt) and Concentration (derived from a constant Base Concentration), which are two opposed values used for determining if someone plays a hit reaction when they take damage. It comes down to a comparison of an Interrupt value (from the attack and attacker's stats) vs. the defenders' Concentration values (from the defender's stats) with a random percentile roll.

A hit reaction always stops movement, cooldown timer, reloading, and all other actions. Movement, cooldowns and reloads do not reset but are simply paused and resumed. All other actions (attacks, spells, abilities, etc.) are stopped and must be restarted from the beginning.

In general, these values do not scale tremendously over the course of the game. They also are generally applied based on the speed and area of effect of the attack. A fast AoE will have a miniscule Base Interrupt. A slow single-target attack will have a high Base Interrupt.

The general rule is this: the slower the attack, the higher the Base Interrupt. The more targets it affects, the lower the Base Interrupt.

Interrupt Scale:
[None]
Weakest
Weaker
Weak
Average
Strong
Stronger
Strongest

These names are associated with constants. If the constant is adjusted for "Stronger", it will automatically affect everything set to have a Stronger interrupt.

Every Attack can have an Interrupt value, though it should be set to [None] unless damage is part of the attack. Note that even if damage is not, in the final tally, applied to the target, it can still be interrupted. However, the attacker must at least score a Graze. The formula for calculating interrupt follows:

Interrupt = Base Interrupt * (1 + [{Perception * 3}/100])

The attack roll can further modify this value. The final result increases by 50% if the attack was a Crit and is cut to 50% if the attack was a Graze. Additionally, a Disengagement Attack automatically increases the final result by 50%. A Disengagement Attack that Crits would increase the result by 50%, then that result by 50%.

For example, let's say someone attacks with a Sword. The Sword has an Average Base Interrupt. We've defined Average to be 40. The attacker has a Perception of 15. Interrupt = 40 * (1 + [{15*3}/100]) or Interrupt = 40 * 1.45, so Interrupt = 58.

Concentration = Base Concentration * (1 + [{Resolve * 3}/100])

Base Concentration is a constant. Let's say it's 50, assuming we want a lower number of Average attacks to call a hit reaction (we may not, which is why this is a constant we can tune). The defender's Resolve is 18. Concentration = 50 * (1 + [{18*3}/100]) or Concentration = 50 * 1.54, so Concentration = 77.

To call a hit reaction, the percentile roll needs to be 51 or higher. The roll is 1-100 + Interrupt - Concentration. In this case, it's 1-100 + 58 - 77. It's kinda hard to call a reaction (only on 70 or higher), but it wouldn't be rare.

Now let's say with the same characters an attacker is using Stilettos with Weak Base Interrupt. We define Weak as being 30, so the Interrupt is 44 (43.5). With a compared 77 Concentration, the roll now needs to be an 84 or higher to call an Interrupt!

If the attacker really wants to call an reaction, he or she may use a Morning Star, which has a Strong Base Interrupt (50). This results in a 77 Interrupt, which exactly matches the 77 Concentration. A roll of 51 or higher (half of all Hits) will call a reaction. On a Crit, the Interrupt is increased to 116 (115.5), meaning even a roll of 12 would call a reaction! A Crit Disengagement Attack would do it every single time, though obvious those attacks have to be provoked.

Magical weapons can have a special property (called Superior Interruption) that bumps their set/listed Base Interrupt rating up by one category. E.g., a Stiletto would be set to Weak but be bumped to Average.
Magical items (of any sort, but usually armor) and spells/abilities can have a special property, called Interrupting, that adds to the modifier normally calculated from Perception. This adds directly into the percentage increase of the Base Interrupt. Conversely, they can have a property called Concentrating that specifically adds to the modifier normally calculated from Resolve.

Pretty simple stuff really.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
3jh7KWq.png

VJsDSLy.png

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pretty simple stuff really.
Not intuitive for IE user though, where quicker attacks (dual wield, weapons with low Speed Factor - daggers, short swords) and small but quick damage (poison, insect plague) interrupted characters. So for my interrupt character first time I made a barbarian with 2 stilettos and light armor (and maxed PER), whilst I probably should have gone for 2 battleaxes or a 2-handed morning star. Although it makes sense in a way that heavier weapon can stun harder, but then stuff like stun and crits and knockdown is already in as special ability for appropriate weapons.

"aleph" " Man, why is it seemingly impossible to develop similar stuff nowadays? :("

Thats what kills me. think what we could have if black isle or somebody similar had just been content to roll out improved IE versions of D&D modules instead of trying to reinvent RPG in some misguided ego trip. I mean we are 15 years behind where we could be or worse all for what? Balance? Because some people watch other people play games and decide they are not doing it right and not really having fun? Why does something like IWD seem like an impossible dream 20 years later?

Perhaps its the same problem that infects the rest of society. Can you imagine a program trying to get to the moon now? It would take 40 years and go over budget by 10,000%. I am not even sure we would pull it off..lol

Last edited:
Weasel
Perhaps its the same problem that infects the rest of society. Can you imagine a program trying to get to the moon now? It would take 40 years and go over budget by 10,000%. I am not even sure we would pull it off..lol
The difference is that we actually got Fallout and Baldur's Gate. :3

The voice acting on the Moon landing was pretty great though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom