Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Duraframe300

Arcane
There really is no excuse for having sub-par voicing in this game, when BGII was able to produce consistently awesome VA 14 fucking years ago. No excuse.

Wut?

I doubt Obsidian has the resources in that department that Interplay did 14 years ago. Nobody really does anymore. Also how is VA of all things dependant on time (Apart from audio quality)?

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
There really is no excuse for having sub-par voicing in this game, when BGII was able to produce consistently awesome VA 14 fucking years ago. No excuse.

you ever heared daddy mumbling about life getting more expensive every year? you should take notice.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Even if that too isn't final anyone who expects the VA quality of black isle games expects a bit too much.

Among games those were like god tier.

Hormalakh

Magister
of course not. obsidian has to cut corners somewhere. of course, for POE this means cutting things out in game design (how to grapple ooze?), music, voice acting, and animations.

everything we bitch about, either we're expecting too much or we'll have to wait because it's a fucking beta.

please let me know when i can starting bitching about how i think this game will not hit any IE standards. Thanks,

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Cadegund was cut? Come on, this is disappointing. Or maybe they are saving her for the expansion.

Duraframe300

Arcane
of course not. obsidian has to cut corners somewhere. of course, for POE this means cutting things out in game design (how to grapple ooze?), music, voice acting, and animations.

everything we bitch about, either we're expecting too much or we'll have to wait because it's a fucking beta.

please let me know when i can starting bitching about how i think this game will not hit any IE standards. Thanks,

You can bitch anytime. Especially about game design/animations/voice acting and music. I bitched about the voice acting already (Which is would be my main source of disapointment if it stays that way)

When I talk about don't overexpect I actually mean don't overexpect.

As in: Don't expect it to beat everything else ever made ever. Thats not a discouragement to bitch about things, thats a tipp for your enjoyment. Otherwise you're just getting yourself riled up and super angry about things that weren't going to happen either way.

It's the reason why I'm still very much looking forward to the game. Otherwise I'd be hatin'.

(And I don't really think (in the comparison I made) cutting corners has anything to do with it. The casts for the old Black Isle games were just that insane.)

Shadenuat

Arcane
I feel that for isometric game doing sound&music right is important, a lot more important than for a game that can grab you with just visuals. Everything from UI to random NPC barks and music should click.

Just try running through a few vaults in Fallout 1 without music, see how much it adds to experience. In 3d you can often subtitute with just some ambiance and neat graffixx.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like the music in PoE. It is very low key and subtle compared to the IE games though (or at least BG and PST).

The ambient sounds are great, takes me back to 1998.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Yep.

I'd argue it's probably harder to get good VO for games these days because of how expensive it has become.

The flipside to this is that in 2014, it is (or at least, should be!) much easier to find newcomer talent. We have youtube and the panoply of social media out there, plus a modding community that dwarfs the one that existed in 2000, plus a booming indie game scene. Really, there is no excuse imo.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yep.

I'd argue it's probably harder to get good VO for games these days because of how expensive it has become.

The flipside to this is that in 2014, it is (or at least, should be!) much easier to find newcomer talent. We have youtube and the panoply of social media out there, plus a modding community that dwarfs the one that existed in 2000, plus a booming indie game scene. Really, there is no excuse imo.

The IE games (Black Isle games specifically) weren't much about Newcomer talent though. A lot of them were high class actors.

The Fish

Arcane
Here's Pallegina's full voice set if you want to have a listen: http://www.upload.ee/files/4240874/AudioClip.rar.html

Dreadful. I thought "Vailians" were based on Italians (or something like that). Why not give her a European accent? I remember Edwin in BG2 having a Bulgarian/Slavic sort of accent and it worked pretty well. The more generic modern American accent is really jarring. And it doesn't help that the lines are delivered quite poorly. They should have had David Warner as a stretch goal.

The Banner Saga didn't have an enormous budget either but they still managed to get some Icelandic people to do the voices. In fact I would hazard a guess and say it was probably a cheaper option despite being of a better quality and more fitting.

I'll probably end up turning off voices for the full game (or just kill her).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Even a terrible actress couldn't do much to butcher these lines:

Keep me here much longer, and I'm going to start moulting. It's even less exciting than it sounds.

I could assume you're wasting my time, but I'd like to believe you're simply holding me in reserve for some cunning stratagem.

For the republics!

Ack! I'm on the vanguard!

If those first two are the dismiss/"talk to but don't hire" lines, they are way too long.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Can someone do me a favor and ask Josh on Twitter for the PE Recovery time formula. I *think* armor is multiplicative but I want to get the 100% - ie. (Recovery time * armor speed) and I'm not sure when other bonuses are added.

Could be (Base Recovery * Armor Speed) + (Weapon style + Miscellaneous), but that's just a guess

I need this answer for my next suggestion thread

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/506853358557462530

3VyB7gs.jpg

Harold

Arcane

Keep me here much longer, and I'm going to start moulting. It's even less exciting than it sounds.

I could assume you're wasting my time, but I'd like to believe you're simply holding me in reserve for some cunning stratagem.

For the republics!

If those first two are the dismiss/"talk to but don't hire" lines, they are way too long.
The second line definitely seems to be a 'dismiss' one, but the first one is for when the character is idle for too long, I think.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

For the republics!

The second line definitely seems to be a 'dismiss' one, but the first one is for when the character is idle for too long, I think.
2nd one is probably "stay at the stronghold" line.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does that look balanced to you?

2H weapon attacks faster than 1H weapon and does like double the damage ... lol
1H gives you more deflection (from shield) or more accuracy (=more damage), although the indirect bonus damage from +15 accuracy is negligible compared to what you get after switching to 2H.

I am guessing the numbers will still be tweaked, but 1H with no shield is pretty much useless at the moment. Bonus deflection from shield is arguable IMO. 2x 1H faster attack is ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom