Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
Retard proofing is more evidence this game isn't made for the backers 1st and foremost.
A large segment of the backers thought the romances in Baldur's Gate were genuinely compelling. :M

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Despite apparently being 'straight forward' they're quite different from how such rules work in other games and there are a lot of rules to learn. There is a bit of a steep initial learning curve. One thing they are doing is that they are making sure easy is actually really easy.

Athelas

Arcane
Actually, they've paradoxically created a system that will possibly be very difficult for the masses to grasp, by abandoning typical RPG conventions. I.e. even the most simple and casual of RPG's use different stats to determine physical and magic damage.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah I kind of find that a bit ironic as well. The optimal damage types versues DR types and all that also is a bit beyond the casual gamers care factor. There also should probably be a warning about the absolute need for accuracy too, in a big warning sign in the main menu lol :lol:

It also seems they picked the right Publisher.

Copper

Savant
I doubt colour blindness has anything to do with this - if anything, Josh should be slightly more sensitive to tonal differences.

From a 'reality' point it's flawed, since you only see this level of contrast when your face is practically in the clover, not 12 metres + up in the air, and it seems really busy as a background, all those sharp blades of grass on the same flat plane.

EDIT: Although it does look better on my home monitor than the Mac in work.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I hadn't seen that before, thanks for the link. Does it also disable those horrible interaction icons over doors that transition scenes and loot containers?
So many people have asked for this, this is now the next thing in line.

The development happens in this thread btw.

Copper

Savant
The outer walls that are one stone block thick (check out the ruined tower) less so. Thing couldn't take a hit from any siege weapon. (Then again, when your inspiration is hiking in California, you tend not to stumble on many ruined castles.)

EDIT: Agreed on the grass though

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The outer walls that are one stone block thick (check out the ruined tower) less so. Thing couldn't take a hit from any siege weapon. (Then again, when your inspiration is hiking in California, you tend not to stumble on many ruined castles.)

Who says there are siege weapons? The place isn't exactly Minas Tirith. It could have been a simple provincial fort meant to house patrols and guard against Glanfathan raiders.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I'm pretty sure all the environments in PoE are historically accurate and well-researched, it's just that they chose the least visually exciting/dullest time period/place (in terms of architecture and such) as a template.

Last edited:

Copper

Savant
Who says there are siege weapons? The place isn't exactly Minas Tirith. It could have been a simple provincial fort meant to house patrols and guard against Glanfathan raiders.

Isn't it the former lair of a mad wizard?

I'm pretty sure all the environments in PoE are historically accurate and well-researched, it's just that they chose the least visually exciting/dullest time period/place (in terms of architecture and such) as a template.

Nah, a mix of renaissance and high gothic stuff should be pretty interesting, I doubt anyone on the team is that interested in the subject though.
Renaissance_Building.jpg

aeonsim

Augur
If you want something crazy then try eating your vegetables in 392 (the ones found next to the inn) +50 Perception, critical hits on every one!

Sensuki

Arcane
rope kid said:
People played for the better part of a work week, though that's always slow-going in Beta. We invariably wind up asking each other a lot of questions (e.g. "Is this supposed to work this way?" "Have you seen the bug here? Let me show you...") and writing things down. If we assume 25% efficiency in terms of actual productive time spent playing, that's ~10 hours. You can certainly get to Defiance Bay in way, way less than 10 hours if your mind is set on it, but most people spend their time exploring and doing side quests around the first village.

Sensuki

Arcane
If you want something crazy then try eating your vegetables in 392 (the ones found next to the inn) +50 Perception, critical hits on every one!

The bonus doesn't actually seem to be working properly. It did nothing on my Fighter, and increased the Perception of my Rogue by two different amounts on two different saves (from 22 to 26, and from 22 to 29).

aeonsim

Augur
The bonus doesn't actually seem to be working properly. It did nothing on my Fighter, and increased the Perception of my Rogue by two different amounts on two different saves (from 22 to 26, and from 22 to 29).

Could well be buggy, for my Cipher the accuracy was ~170 after using it which tended to make short work of everyone in front of them.

Last edited:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
so guys, I haven't been following this thread for the last few months, how do you rate the development? are the improvements noticeable? I'm concerned mostly about gameplay issues (engagement, useless attributes), bugs come and go.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I feel not much has changed and considering this is coming out in about 8 weeks (eg. some people expect a March release), I think this game is going to be a disaster for Obsidian.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
so guys, I haven't been following this thread for the last few months, how do you rate the development? are the improvements noticeable? I'm concerned mostly about gameplay issues (engagement, useless attributes), bugs come and go.

Mods might fix some of it.

Shevek

Arcane
Its preference. Do you have a system where you have to work for movement in combat or should you have to work for stability? Its, which abstraction of real life murder makes more sense to you. The reason you hear more bitching is that bitching is loud and satisfaction isnt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom