Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It does look really bad, yep.

Athelas

Arcane
I suspect it was supposed to be animated - since the grass is not a flat texture, which is why it covers the characters' feet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They decided not to go with animations after some point. I don't think that animations would have made the characters easier to discern though. It's all because of the green selection circles. They were blue at first and everythig was fine ;)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, I seriously like it better with green color. And if I have to load a game a couple of times in some area because I got beaten and I couldn't see my party it's still cool in all the other areas.

Edit: hell, I got post 8888 :D

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
At close range it's pretty horrible. It's not just feet, the warrior's mace ball is completely invisible, and the green cloak also suffers a little from that next-gen grass effect:

e4626a7e0f79b7b654021596be7f6b12.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
Always a sure sign of a genre-defining classic if Angry Joe is ecstatic about the game.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
:D "Josh makes me feel confident."
Cute.

edit: If the two Joes play PoE on stream, that'll be good promotion. Their audience are mostly FPS retards, but hey, it's publicity.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At close range it's pretty horrible. It's not just feet, the warrior's mace ball is completely invisible, and the green cloak also suffers a little from that next-gen grass effect:

Do you play zoomed in this much often?:roll:

Apexeon

Arcane

Grass is ruthless for development teams.
Makes you cough your guts up and gives you a nasty head ache if you get a bad batch.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess beautification of grass around the feet is intensely low on the priority list before release. I look forward to the codex review, "And because grass sorrounding the feet of characters looked terrible when extremely zoomed and is a normal thing for people to notice, this game has ruined all RPG's forever and should be destroyed and stripped from all historical records."

Or something.

Athelas

Arcane
The high grass adds to the visibility issues in combat (if characters are fighting on grass).

They should make it shorter, but not remove it though. I like that the grass looks like actual grass (video game grass is usually just a flat green texture).

Delterius

Arcane
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess beautification of grass around the feet is intensely low on the priority list before release. I look forward to the codex review, "And because grass sorrounding the feet of characters looked terrible when extremely zoomed and is a normal thing for people to notice, this game has ruined all RPG's forever and should be destroyed and stripped from all historical records."

Or something.
tumblr_n8plvv4yGb1rwq8aho1_500.jpg

Trust me, it will be an issue.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Maybe it's my colorblindness talking, but most things look pretty washed out regardless. Using colorblind mode I have few issues discerning what's happening.

Delterius I feel like I'm missing something. Is this a foot fetish thing?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Nah it doesn't - especially with shorter characters and beetles in the high grass and shit.
You are too picky, which considering all your PoE posts, and this being the codex, is a ridiculously obvious accusation to throw around.

Game looks good enough to make me not notice imperfections, which I guess is the point of it all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom