Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
if we were to make a sequel we do want the player to be able to bring their character from this game, come over into the next game, and of course reflect the choices they made in the previous game.
Disappointment inbound.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
if we were to make a sequel we do want the player to be able to bring their character from this game, come over into the next game, and of course reflect the choices they made in the previous game.
Disappointment inbound.
They have a big advantage over the problems Bioware face with this type of feature, being only partially voice acted and without cutscenes.

They should have an easier time to do it well, although it's still dangerous.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Disappointment inbound.
I'll have to play through the campaign to see if I care. But I'd wager I won't.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You might say, "Dude, why should Might affect the damage of my pistol?" and I say, "Shut the $#&^#& up." The point is that it's good for any class that wants to focus on that.
:hmmm:

There are players that'll ask me "Why does Might make my bullets do more damage? Why does sharpshooter have to be a gym rat?" and I tell them to shut the fuck up.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Mikey Dowling has been appointment the new Community Manager for the Obsidian forums. This is a new position starting from today.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mikey Dowling has been appointment the new Community Manager for the Obsidian forums. This is a new position starting from today.
I already don't like him for some reason.

You might say, "Dude, why should Might affect the damage of my pistol?" and I say, "Shut the $#&^#& up." The point is that it's good for any class that wants to focus on that.
:hmmm:

There are players that'll ask me "Why does Might make my bullets do more damage? Why does sharpshooter have to be a gym rat?" and I tell them to shut the fuck up.
I suppose he has never heard the saying that God created men different, but Colt made them equal.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Just to answer the previous question. Mikey's main job is that of a producer. Not surprising he is assigned here.

Its just as easily possible that he will do some work aside from this. He's the VO expert (Knows a load of VA's as well to the point were they were at his wedding) of the company..

Edit:Ah you said as much. Sorry for being late.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Just FYI - Mikey Dowling is an Audio Designer on Pillars of Eternity, and he is the VO guy for Obsidian as well.
Knowing he isn't a specifically hired mouthpiece makes me feel better, thanks. Now I can read all his posts in Lord Harond's voice. "Why do you think this is happening?"

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just FYI - Mikey Dowling is an Audio Designer on Pillars of Eternity, and he is the VO guy for Obsidian as well.
Knowing he isn't a specifically hired mouthpiece makes me feel better, thanks. Now I can read all his posts in Lord Harond's voice. "Why do you think this is happening?"

Hes been with the company for years and his wife is working there as well.

imweasel

Obsidian really botched it when it came it to making sure characters wouldn't blend in with backgrounds.
In the third screen that Infiltron posted, there's lots of floating.
Yep and yep.

JS: We really put a lot of effort into our stat spread. We've tweaked and tweaked and retweaked this over time. For instance, the Might score increases damage and healing for everything. You might say, "Dude, why should Might affect the damage of my pistol?" and I say, "Shut the $#&^#& up." The point is that it's good for any class that wants to focus on that.
Sean_Penn.jpg

I am Josh.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I have finally figured out both things that are causing the fucking movement sliding in combat, I reported one a while ago. Reporting the other one now.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yes, next week.

finally some concrete info on stacking rules

rope kid said:
There's a glossary entry for Stacking, but the essential information is that there are four broad categories of bonuses: passive, active/modal, equipment, and weapons/shields.

Passive almost always comes from things like Abilities and Talents that you don't need to activate. All passive bonuses stack.

Active/modal abilities come from spells, Abilities, Talents, consumable items (potions, food), and resting bonuses that are activated and/or have a duration to them. The highest bonus from this group is applied. All others are suppressed.

Equipment is everything you don't put in your hand slots. Armor, hats, gloves, belts, books, cloaks/amulets, etc. The highest bonus from this group is applied. All others are suppressed.

Weapons/shields are just weapons and shields. All of these bonuses stack.

Food and inn bonuses are useful for long-term Attribute checks and Rite scrolls can be used for long-term Skill bonuses.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Obsidian really botched it when it came it to making sure characters wouldn't blend in with backgrounds.
You have to be blind to have a problem with blending characters. Overexaggerated spell effects are a bigger problem.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You have to be blind to have a problem with blending characters. Overexaggerated spell effects are a bigger problem.

They definitely do still blend in to my eyes, or at least they don't pop out like they do in IE games. The problem is exacerbated by the spell effects.

Sensuki

Arcane
According to the game files, when you play on Easy, Xaurip use a different Shield with 10 less Deflection :P

BTW remember how I complained about Swords having shitty models, then they got a revamp ... they've now had a huge revamp and they look awesome (although, not many have unique icons). The unique swords now look fully siQ

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong

There is still a problem when the characters stand on grass. I think it was supposed to be a feature, but it looks really bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom