Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Updated review list:

English:

PC Gamer: 92/100
Eurogamer: Recommended
Super Bunnyhop
Rock Paper Shotgun
Stevivor: 8.5/10
VideoGamer
The Escapist: 5/5
Wired
PCWorld
GameWatcher: 9/10
MMORPG: 9/10
PCGamesN: 10/10
Pixel Dynamo: 8.8/10
Games.on.net
Gamereactor: 8/10
Kotaku
Game Informer

German:

PC Games Hardware
GameStar
PC Games: 91/100
GamersGlobal: 8.5/10
Buffed

Italian:

IGN Italy: 9.4/10
Everyeye: 9.3/10

Spanish:

3DJuegos: 9.5/10

Polish:

Eurogamer Poland: 9/10

Russian:

IGN Russia: 10/10

Swedish:

FZ: 5/5

Finnish:

IGN Finland: 9.2/10

Tell me if I missed anything.

There's also another spanish review that I'm aware of:

http://www.meristation.com/pc/pillars-of-eternity/analisis-juego/1810544

Not enough gays 4/10 - Danielle Riendeuau, Polygon

I'm not anti gay, but really....? you get paid real life money and you favor a game so poorly because of sexual preference isn't represented? If I was their boss I'd write him up for such shenanigan's. What's that got to do about the price of tea in China... c'mon now.

Branm

Learned
Long shot? Crusader kings got 88...basic math says that the difference between 93 and 88 far from a long shot :)

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I dunno these super high ratings seem hype ratings as usual. Especially 10/10. I'm looking forward to the game but I really cannot imagine it to be an unflawed game.

Yes, the reviewers are probably overrating the game. So what?
A score inflated by 10-15% is nothing when you compare them with BioWare/Bethesda games which have a mandatory 2x multiplicator added to what they actually deserve.

I'm just happy that an Obsidian title is getting all that attention (and money and good press and hype)...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno these super high ratings seem hype ratings as usual. Especially 10/10. I'm looking forward to the game but I really cannot imagine it to be an unflawed game.

Yes, the reviewers are probably overrating the game. So what?
A score inflated by 10-15% is nothing when you compare them with BioWare/Bethesda games which have a mandatory 2x multiplicator added to what they actually deserve.

I'm just happy that an Obsidian title is getting all that attention (and money and good press and hype)...

No need to go into defense mode, I was just stating that and after all the codex is usually very quick to attack game journos for overhyping a game. As I said I am looking forward to the game too.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
To me 10/10 doesn't necessarily mean the game is perfect, it just means it's one of the best the genre has to offer.

Torrasque01

Augur
Will druids be nerfed in the release version or in the day 1 patch? Because if the latter I'll postpone updating.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hYlqPGk.jpg

:incline:
93 now :salute:

himmy

Arcane
Long shot? Crusader kings got 88...basic math says that the difference between 93 and 88 far from a long shot :)

Dunno, for a publisher with 30 98 games in the database, having an entry with 5 points above anything else seems a lot to me.

Suicidal

Arcane
The user review scores are declining, on the other hand, with more and more 0-1 scores claiming that the game is disappointing for those who expected a new IE game. But as I understand, the game hasn't even launched yet (still a few hrs away), so either they are basing their score on the beta/gameplay videos or they are trolling.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The user review scores are declining, on the other hand, with more and more 0-1 scores claiming that the game is disappointing for those who expected a new IE game. But as I understand, the game hasn't even launched yet (still a few hrs away), so either they are basing their score on the beta/gameplay videos or they are trolling.

first of all, i am a huge fan of baldurs gate and the infinity engine games. this game is nothing them and isnt even any good.

good combat: nope
good writing: not really
interesting companions: nope
good a.i.: nope
good rpg mechanics: nope
good atmosphere: not really
interetsing creature: some are
good art: yep
good graphics: nope
good music: nope
interesting loot: not really
old school: most defintely not
spiritual successor to baldur's gate: lol

like others have mentioned, this game seriously does feel like it was made by people who absolutely despise the infinity engine games and realtime with pause (RTwP) combat, but were forced to make a game in that style anyway. it feels like no love and compassion went into the game at all. in my opinion obsidian is just trying to cash in on old school gaming, but refuse to or can't deliver. What a disappointment.

What others? That's the only negative review I see there. :M Must be a member of the pissed off backer army.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Only a few minutes left, but this feels like a long wait. Also, since I opted GoG, I'll need to download it anyway.

Athelas

Arcane
like others have mentioned, this game seriously does feel like it was made by people who absolutely despise the infinity engine games and realtime with pause (RTwP) combat, but were forced to make a game in that style anyway.
This is not entirely untrue. :M

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Gotta love the people ITT who think the game will be good just because the press loves it. Have you not been paying attention at all during the last decade?

I too am hyped:hype:

I think you misunderstand why people are posting scores from large media outlets (or maybe you have a better understanding then me)

IMO people are hyped / excited for the game regardless, the reason people are posting these reviews is to see how the mainstream media (Popamole Retards) are enjoying the game. RPGCodex alone can not fund these games and if we want a PoE 2 or 3 or 10.. It would be nice if lot's of copies sold which means we need popamole dollars.

When I see IGN / Shitaku / PCGamer / Whoever else give this game 5/5's and raving reviews. I know the masses are gonna buy this game which means Obsidian will have a way to make more. It's really unlikely paradox has the push or dollaz to pad ratings so I think people are honestly enjoying the game and not just trying to cater to PR.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane

first of all, i am a huge fan of baldurs gate and the infinity engine games. this game is nothing them and isnt even any good.

good combat: nope
good writing: not really
interesting companions: nope
good a.i.: nope
good rpg mechanics: nope
good atmosphere: not really
interetsing creature: some are
good art: yep
good graphics: nope
good music: nope
interesting loot: not really
old school: most defintely not
spiritual successor to baldur's gate: lol

like others have mentioned, this game seriously does feel like it was made by people who absolutely despise the infinity engine games and realtime with pause (RTwP) combat, but were forced to make a game in that style anyway. it feels like no love and compassion went into the game at all. in my opinion obsidian is just trying to cash in on old school gaming, but refuse to or can't deliver. What a disappointment.

What others? That's the only negative review I see there. :M Must be a member of the pissed off backer army.

There were at least 5 when I was checking this thread at work but looks like they are gone now. Possibly trolls then. I wanted to write a troll review myself when I got home claiming that we don't need games like these in the 21th century but decided against it in the end :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom