Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Brancaleone

Prophet
Fast traveling will probably be enabled to everywhere you go after you've already been there. I doubt they are going to force us to backtrack on the OLM.
In Greek tragedy it is not always the protagonist who falls because of hubris, see Sophocles' Antigone, where Creon is the tragic hero but he's not the protagonist, and he's not even the protagonist's foil (that would be Ismene).

Sure, but that's an outlier. Most of the time the protagonist is the tragic character.
I'd say Irenicus ends up going nowhere as a tragic character mostly because BG2's writing does a very poor job in taking advantage of the possibilities offered by the player's choices (which admittedly complicate things when it comes to having the protagonist being a foil to the villain, but still, there was quite a bit of untapped potential there).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd say Irenicus ends up going nowhere as a tragic character mostly because BG2's writing does a very poor job in taking advantage of the possibilities offered by the player's choices (which admittedly complicate things when it comes to having the protagonist being a foil to the villain, but still, there was quite a bit of untapped potential there).

We know :p

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'm not opposed to the sailing and the OLM, just the text-based combat that you'll have to grind to get good stuff from for the actual game. The last sentence reads like an existential terror jolt.

I'm just messing with you, man.
Now that you point it out, if ship stuff rewards the player with items and other core gameplay related stuff - then it would be legit that classic rtwp adventuring would, at some points, include rewards for the ship. I mean, it would fix the need to grind through cyoa naval battles, like getting upgrades through regular quests intead of seafaring for instance, and tie land and sea gameplay even more.

I imagine that siding with Rauatai unlocks better cannons while siding with the Vailians unlock fancy hats. Or something. I don't know the lore enough, I just know that Rauatai has superior firepower. I'm not even sure actually.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I am trying to think what other games had dialogue saved by the delivery. Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines?

Anything with Tony Jay. Even if the game dialogue was already good it became even better with Tony Jay speaking it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm just messing with you, man.
Now that you point it out, if ship stuff rewards the player with items and other core gameplay related stuff - then it would be legit that classic rtwp adventuring would, at some points, include rewards for the ship. I mean, it would fix the need to grind through cyoa naval battles, like getting upgrades through regular quests intead of seafaring for instance, and tie land and sea gameplay even more.

I imagine that siding with Rauatai unlocks better cannons while siding with the Vailians unlock fancy hats. Or something. I don't know the lore enough, I just know that Rauatai has superior firepower. I'm not even sure actually.

People irl constantly accuse me of not getting sarcasm, so I'm not surprised I didn't catch that, lol. I can't wait to get rewards for the ship I'm never going to use for combat purposes from doing the normal and sane gameplay instead of getting rewards for it!

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I am trying to think what other games had dialogue saved by the delivery. Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines?

The Legacy of Kain series.
Still impressed by the effort they put in the acting. Even localized in french, Soul Reaver had an amazing dubbing. Especially by 90-2000 standards.

Sizzle

Arcane

Superior cannons, while the Vailians have more naval experience and (presumably) better/faster ships.

Brancaleone

Prophet

We know :p
My point was, it's not like Irenicus does not deliver because he doesn't follow the paradigm of most of the few Greek tragedies that have survived.

Ulfhednar

Savant
For example, concerning the main quest in the BB - they said that in the released game, you could get there either by accidentally stumbling upon that island, or receiving the quest (from the VTC?). That sounds to me like it will be marked on your map and ready for fast traveling to there.

Hope it does turn out like that, traveling everywhere without FT as an option would easily be the new "PoE1's loading times" time-waster of PoE2 :D

Getting the quest makes the fog-of-war disappear around the island... hope you're right about the fast travel at release.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It would be a total "fuck you" if they don't implement fast travel and you'd have to backtrack every time. Sailing around in the beta already takes too much time.

Quillon

Arcane
It would be a total "fuck you" if they don't implement fast travel and you'd have to backtrack every time. Sailing around in the beta already takes too much time.

Wtf. You're already travelling fast, on a world map with a miniature ship essentially. Click your destination and press F to get there faster, you might have an encounter on the way. That's fallout style for ya.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

The bar for total fuck you's gets lowered all the time, doesn't it?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected

Wtf. You're already travelling fast, on a world map with a miniature ship essentially. Click your destination and press F to get there faster, you might have an encounter on the way. That's fallout style for ya.

I'll gladly excuse fallout for the lack of fast tarvel option to known locations. But if it's not in Deadfire, I'd be pretty baffled to be honest. No reason not to instantly take travel time and encounter chance in consideration with a fast travel option here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you know exactly where you are going, sure, but trying to explore the islands (which have almost nothing on them) is a drag. Especially since you can't click on fog of war, you have to manually keep clicking the OLM a bit further from your ship as you are removing the fog.

Quillon

Arcane
If you know exactly where you are going, sure, but trying to explore the islands (which have almost nothing on them) is a drag. Especially since you can't click on fog of war, you have to manually keep clicking the OLM a bit further from your ship as you are removing the fog.

Fast travel is teleporting between known locations, how would having fast travel help there?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'd rather say it's a convenient ellipse.
Otherwise, poe1 would be filled with teleportations. And more rightfully considered so, since there's no encounters in the first game.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

IMO, if you don't know where you're going, you SHOULD have to explore. That's kind of the whole point. Frankly, I think even if a quest opens up an island for you, if that island is on the other side of the map, and you haven't charted a path to that region (i.e. you have unexplored territority obscuring the possible routes), you should be sailing your way there manually. I get that you've become down on the whole idea of the ship, but maybe it's time to accept that Obsidian DOES want ship and ship exploration to be integral to the game (even if ship combat is not)?

Bonerbill

Augur
The whole point of the world map is to explore. That's why they got rid of the wilderness areas from PoE1 and replaced it with an arcanum/fallout type world map. IMO, it should be a big part of the game. If you don't like it, then tough luck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've never said anything about the exploration itself and I said that you should be able to fast travel between locations you've already been to, no idea what you guys are arguing with.

I don't think it's wise to assume the exploration and sailing around will be fun, it certainly isn't in the beta and it only adds more clicking and disappointment to the experience. You "explore" featureless islands on the OLM that have only 1 or 2 crafting supplies and nothing else. You don't transition into the islands with your party. You get cool stuff only on the islands the main quest are on, the only other island you can transition into with your party consists of 2 maps which are claustrophobically tiny, it takes more time to load than to explore.

I'm not saying this to be negative and bitter about the game for some reason, I'm saying that you guys are expecting things from it you shouldn't and assuming that it's going to be more than it is. For them to make it fun, it would require the map to check your passive skills and discover cool stuff, like that one statue near Poko Kohara. The sailing around should be semi-frequently dotted with scripted encounters (maybe randomly taken from a large pool of such, like Fallout) or those CYOA segments. Maybe those are in the full game and they just haven't implemented them in the beta so as to not spoil the surprise, but don't keep your hopes up. Just mindlessly clicking a bit further from your ship/party figurines is not very exciting, let me tell you.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

mystery.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/02/15/...nity-ii-publishers-and-dwarven-discrimination

Obsidian's Josh Sawyer on Pillars of Eternity II, Publishers and Dwarven Discrimination
By Ian Dransfield on 15 Feb 2018 at 2:12PM

Josh Sawyer is the design director at Obsidian Entertainment on Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. He is a man with chops when it comes to your hardcore CRPGs, having been in the industry since the days of Black Isle Studios and the original Icewind Dale. He is handsome, has cool tattoos, and can grow a proper beard. What I’m saying is, I think I might fancy Josh Sawyer.

What a hunk. So please excuse any fawning noises, mere animal attraction shall not waylay my quest for TRUTH about Deadfire – TRUTH about double-dipping into crowdfunding, TRUTH about designing around D&D when lots of your players might not be D&D superheroes, and most importantly the TRUTH about how most players are, frankly, racist against dwarves.

I guess crowdfunding the sequel to a highly successful crowdfunded game is what we in the business call a 'no-brainer.'

Sawyer: The nice thing about crowdfunding in general is that when the publisher is not paying the bills, their input is still valuable – but it's not as integral to how you shape the game. And so it's nice to be able to just think about, ‘okay we got all all these people going nuts on the beta, what are their issues, what are they having fun with, what are they really not having fun with?’ And trying to really shape the experience around them.

From that perspective I'd say, it's largely the same as the first game. I would say that because this is our second time around, we really have to nail a lot of stuff that on the first game was maybe a little uneven and sloppy. For example, the stronghold [from the original Pillars] was something that people were like, "This doesn't really feel like it's integrated that well." And, yeah, it was a stretch goal – but it just doesn't feel like there's a lot of it there.

So with this ship/crew system [Pillars II’s version of a stronghold, essentially], we actually have gone through three revisions of this. There's a chance that people won't like it, that would be really rough, but at least they're not gonna say that there's no effort that went into it.

So from that perspective, I feel like there were certain things where, because it was our first time back at making this type of game with Pillars I, for a lot of the developers it was their first time making this type of game at all, there were things that were a little uneven that in this game we just really want to hit and nail perfectly. Because I think our backers have high expectations, which they should have, for the quality of the game that we're making.

No publishers saw the success of the original and tried to grab a piece?

I wouldn't say we had a lot of publishers kicking our door down because again, especially to the big publishers, this is still a niche game. This is still a game that is considered... well it is primarily PC focused, PC, Mac, and Linux focused. Paradox did make a console port of the original, but really it is a PC role-playing game, with a hardcore fan audience. And it sold very well for the sort of game that it is, but you're probably not gonna find Electronic Arts saying like, "Oh man, if only we could sell one million units of a game." They don't care.

Are there times you ever miss a publisher behind you cracking the whip, in terms of budgets and feature creep?

Our initial goal in terms of the actual area map size was to be a little bit smaller than Pillars, actually. Whoops. It's bigger, it's not maybe tremendously bigger, but it is bigger and the world map itself and all of this exploration adds a tonne of gameplay to it.

So crowdfunding did allow us to expand in terms of, we redid all of the rendering, we redid all of AI from the ground up. And [we didn’t just re-do] the visual effects, but the gameplay effects, like the game logic was rewritten entirely. I think without the additional funding it would have been really hard to justify some of that stuff, and I think the fans would have been bummed out if we hadn't improved on those things that were maybe okay in the first game, but could have been a lot better.

Obviously we have to be cognisant of there is a real lump of money that is going down as we make this thing. But I try to separate out what I do a lot from what the money concerns are. And obviously there's a point where people come and kick in my door and say like, "Money, it's running out. What are you going to do?"

But all the choices that I make are really driven by the player experience, and the range of tastes that our players have, and trying to make our really hardcore fans happy, and make the people who don't have as much time, who just are interested in the story, also have a really good time with the game.

You’ve been working on this series a long time now – since at least 2012 – how do you find that?

I will admit, it can be exhausting working on the same IP for a long period of time. I mean, anyone who's worked on an MMO can attest to how draining that can be. But because there is so much new stuff in Deadfire, it is exciting to see how people are interacting with new systems, all the new features and stuff like that.

You have a lot of data from the original showing what players actually do as opposed to what they say they do. What’s been the most interesting thing for you there?

I think one of the most notable ones is race preference. So in Pillars I, we started doing something, which we continue in Pillars II, which when you hit New Game, your character defaults to human, but it randomises the gender of the character, and it randomises the ethnicity of the character.

So that has already been that way since Pillars I, but we still find that the majority of players make white, human, I think typically men, which is fine, but it's also interesting to see what they don't make. Almost no one makes dwarves.

We hear people say that they like dwarves, they like the dwarves in the world, everyone seems to be like, "Yeah, fantasy dwarves." But they don't make them. They want a companion who's a dwarf, but they don't want to make a dwarf. So it's an interesting sort of dichotomy where you see like, well they like priests, but they don't necessarily like making priests. They want to have a healer, they want to have a support character – but they want to make the two-handed sword-swinging psychotic.

We find this overwhelming tendency towards making devoted fighters who are the single weapon crazy people, and assassins. It's like the concept is very appealing, they do a tonne of damage, and people are just like, "Yeah, assassin. White dude assassin."

They're playing all these characters, and they're really doing an analysis of all these different classes, but when it comes to the characters they make, they like making this certain type of character. Which is fine, it doesn't mean that we should emphasise things differently, but it does make us view their feedback in a different way.

Personally, I usually make savannah folk characters, who are more like Mesoamerican, like humans. Or I make Boreal dwarves, like Sagani, from the first game, a female. They look cool, and they're cool characters, and nobody else plays them. But there are people that like Sagani, from the first game, they really like her as a companion, they're just not going to make them their main character.

How much does accessibility factor into making something that is so unashamedly for the hardcore players?

It's a difficult balance because, I mean, I grew up playing D&D, I still play tabletop role playing games, I like hardcore RPGs, but I do know that there's a tonne of stuff about the games that I make that can be very off-putting to people. So for me, I don't think we will succeed if we try to make the game fundamentally something different.

For example in Pillars I, we had an affliction system. There were, no shit, like 30 different types of afflictions that could applied to you by different characters. Keeping all those memorised, and what countered what, that was really... Even people who were experienced players, were like, "What pre-spell counters this versus that?" And it's like ‘oh my god’.

So for Pillars II, we said, "Okay, let's rethink how we structure afflictions." Now each attribute has three afflictions. So there are three afflictions each [for dexterity, resolve and constitution]. And they each tier up from one another, and you can counter them by applying an inspiration from the same attribute on the other side. That's it.

We still have a tonne of afflictions – there are some that fall outside of this framework – but for the most part those core 18 afflictions get used a tonne. And they're all progressive from each other, so you always know that the one above it has everything effect below it. Easier to understand, easier to learn. The basics of countering are much more consistent, and so that's something where it's like, "You know what? This game can still be very tactical, have great depth, but let's not just make it a mountain to climb for players who are trying to understand how the system works."

You guys have been working on games like this for a long time – is it hard to remember to keep things streamlined, or accessible?

Yes. It's a game that we know how to make. I guess the thing is though, going all the way back to Icewind Dale ... I worked on Icewind Dale, and then I was the lead on Icewind Dale II, and ... In QA there was such, at Black Isle, there was an enormous gulf in player capability. And a lot of it depended on system mastery. And I was someone who, I grew up playing D&D, I played a tonne of it at university, too much at university, and I kind of just assumed that everyone understood how to play D&D, and so I designed combat and counters that were just ruthless, and brutal, and psychotic.

I remember one experience in particular, where we had a QA tester come up to my office and he said, "This is impossible. This fight is ridiculous, I've been trying to get through this for two and a half hours. What in the world were you thinking?" And I'm like, "What fight?" And he told me the fight, and I turned to my office mate who was also really good at these sort of games, I was like, "How many tries did it take you [to beat that fight]?" He's like, "I think I got through it on the first try." I'm like, "Yeah, I got through it on the first try too."

And so this tester says, "You are fucking lying. You're so full of shit." He's like, "Show me – show me how you did it." So I load it in, and I started pre-buffing. And I had three casters going for five rounds pre-buffing, and people drinking potions. He's asks, "What are you doing?" "I'm pre-buffing." He's like, "What do you mean?" So I explained all the different bonuses that I got, and how they stacked with each other, and how I cast the longest duration spells first, so that by the time I got to my shortest duration ones, that they were at the end of sequence and all this stuff. And then I transitioned, and I went in, and I fucking just wiped out the whole map. And he was like, "That's how you're supposed to do that?" I'm like, "Yeah, that's how I do every fight."

There are people who want pre-buffing actually in Pillars II. I'm like, "No, dude." Because it's these things that create gulfs. We have buffs, and they're powerful buffs, but you can't pre-buff. You have to do it in combat. So there's an opportunity cost. The smart character can still time the things out and be crafty and clever, but it doesn't create this enormous gap between players.

That's the stuff that I want to avoid. I want there to be tactical complexity and depth, I don't want it to be something where there's no-brainer choices that if you don't make you’ll handicap yourself, and if you don't play the game in a very specific way, you're just going to set up for failure.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sometimes the hardest thing is to let go.
I thought they were going to admit that poe was a mistake and start from scratch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom