Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Wow look at you, Lacrymas. Big guy on the internet with your unlimited bandwidth.

Also, aren't you fine fellows worried about destroying your experience with the game by playing too much of the beta a la Sensuki?

LizardWizard

Prophet
I recreated the shitty party from before to see if they are better. Not really. The Wizard does more damage, but is not enough on PotD due to the ridiculous number of mobs. The Engwithan titan has been buffed. It's manageable until he summons literally 8 sand blights and 2 scarabs, then they simply overwhelm the entire party and I can't do anything. It might be possible if I execute some kind of elaborate plan and manage to keep my Paladin alive, but it just seems overtuned. Beckoner is ridiculously OP and can solo pretty much everything if the stars align.

You have to account for the reality that the party would be tricked out in better gear in the release version. In POE the party would be swimming in uniques by level 6.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, that map is Josh Sawyer in a nutshell. Who else would look at a fantasy map and figure what’s really needed are demographic statistics and principal exports?
Well, how else will you track your progress of purging non-human dissidents from the Deadfire?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I recreated the shitty party from before to see if they are better. Not really. The Wizard does more damage, but is not enough on PotD due to the ridiculous number of mobs. The Engwithan titan has been buffed. It's manageable until he summons literally 8 sand blights and 2 scarabs, then they simply overwhelm the entire party and I can't do anything. It might be possible if I execute some kind of elaborate plan and manage to keep my Paladin alive, but it just seems overtuned. Beckoner is ridiculously OP and can solo pretty much everything if the stars align.

You have to account for the reality that the party would be tricked out in better gear in the release version. In POE the party would be swimming in uniques by level 6.
And fight the boss at level 20. People do like to go for boss fights overleveled and kill it in a few hits. I was surprised when thaos and the golems fell in less than 30 seconds.

Quillon

Arcane
Don't know if this one is new too, as I haven't checked the beta for months, but I hadn't seen this version of the map.

map.png

Some option to leave at any moment, some emblem and some info on the city. The imports/exports part is intriguing.
Really like the visual aspect of it.

Tikawara is racist as hell, there is only 0.64 of a dwarf other than huanas! WHERE IZ THE DIVERSITY OBSIDIAN!? Reporting it to Polygon naow!

And where is the rest of the dwarf?

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Representative diversity does not mean that every single snapshot of people necessarily shows a perfect ratio of the people represented. The ideals should be shown on more of a good faith basis. Maybe one thing has tons of Asians, or another has tons of elves. The point should be that the individual races are treated with respect.

I did it. It lasted around 10-15 minutes. I ran around like a headless chicken, lured the titan away from the sand blights, spam summoned drakes to distract him, withered him down and then it was easy to take care of the sand blights that were left. Either my party is ridiculously shit or it's ridiculously overtuned because it's not difficult in the usual sense. There is no point to wearing any armor at all for this fight, he can penetrate plate + the Barb passive for extra armor and he can easily two-shot my Paladin with 10 CON.

So JES fails again at balnd balance, his only aim at the cost of fun.

As expected he is a failure when he builds from the ground up. His autism cannot handle a ruleset where he calls the shot.

Not to mention that Feargus Cuckhard will never allow Obsidian to do a TB game.

Prime Junta

Wow, that map is Josh Sawyer in a nutshell. Who else would look at a fantasy map and figure what’s really needed are demographic statistics and principal exports?

Could the import/export info be hinting at a trade system? Would fit the scenario to a T.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Hope they keep the titan the way he his for the real game - they may have over-corrected a little, but I applaud the effort! Having the summons show up in the middle of the fight definitely kept me on my toes. Well done Josh:salute:!!

bminorkey

Is the writing any good in the beta? I didn't really keep up with this game

Morkar Left

Don't know if this one is new too, as I haven't checked the beta for months, but I hadn't seen this version of the map.

map.png

Some option to leave at any moment, some emblem and some info on the city. The imports/exports part is intriguing.
Really like the visual aspect of it.

Population: 64
Races: Mountain Dwarf 1%

Storyhook, height discrimination or just rubbish?

Besides that I like a thought out world with additional Info. That made RoA and BG games good.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

That's not really the problem. I mean, yeah, sure, you'll do a bit more damage, but he has such a gigantic health pool that it will only shave off 30 seconds at best. I also have a party where only 2 characters rely on gear - Skaen Priest/Devoted (in which I am disappointed), Goldpact Knight/Berserker, the mercenary Wizard (I didn't have enough money to recruit a custom one, the money console command doesn't work), Lifegiver Druid and Beckoner Chanter. I wanted to recreate my really shitty party from before to see if it will be better. I gave all the best gear I had to the Priest and Paladin, so they are decked out as much as possible. The boss penetrates plate + Gilded Enmity + Barb passive for extra armor like it's nothing, a thing I warned about happening, so wearing any kind of armor is a waste in this fight, and can two-shot my Paladin if I don't spam heals.

The defenses of enemies seem really overtuned for this level, they sometimes have double the Accuracy of the Wizard with no easy way to debuff them because the debuffs also have to land against defenses. This is especially true with the titan, where he has two to three times more defenses than we have Accuracy, so only the various Minoletta's missiles can hit him, but you only have 3 casts of those. I have to test this fight with a more melee-heavy party, but that wasn't the point, the point was to see if spellcaster-heavy parties can keep up with melee, which seems to not be the case. You can kill him, as I did it, but I had to kite around the whole map and cheese the Beckoner summons because it's almost impossible (the stars have to align) to defeat him like it was designed.

Some characters feel really limited and one-trick ponies, like Lifegiver and Beckoner, they are great at what they do, but they feel like hogging space that can be filled with better and more varied characters. What I think is that the grand, overwhelming issues haven't really been fixed and only minor quibbles have been addressed, like the Wizard doing more damage and more reliably (which is still not enough on PotD). Penetration is exactly like I warned it's going to be - either ridiculously good or pointless to wear any armor depending on the fight. Empower is still pointless in 99% of the fights, I only used it because the titan fight lasted like 15 minutes and I had to reset my abilities or Empower Minoletta's to finish him off. They've given only 1 way to increase Penetration of spells - the passive Secrets of Rime, Scion of Flame etc.

So, yeah, the big issues are still there and still as nonsensical as ever, they just addressed some issues with the micro design, like Wizards, which I still think are not good enough for PotD. Subclasses really only work with multi-classing, they are too focused at what they do, so they need the boost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom