Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ent

Savant
what would a part dwarf part aumaua look like?

hilfazer

Scholar
The boss penetrates plate + Gilded Enmity + Barb passive for extra armor like it's nothing, a thing I warned about happening, so wearing any kind of armor is a waste in this fight, and can two-shot my Paladin if I don't spam heals.

Heh, so that's how "percentage damage reduction is good at dealing with high DPH attacks"? Wow, it was half of the reason for going for % reduction and they failed by giving enemies both high PEN and damage.
Other half is "so player can feel when his/hers PEN is under enemy armor" which, BTW, is quite unpopular, at least at Obsidian forum.

Needed citation can be found here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/projectete...lars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_4_transcript/

JS: It will probably change, but the point is that there's a very strong difference between matching pen and being below pen; whereas in Pillars sometimes if you were just above the minimum penetration it was still pretty bad up to a certain point, and then it scaled kind of oddly, and that's what we're trying to avoid. Especially against big attacks, like, "Hey, the dragon breathed on the party and it does a hundred billion points of damage". Well, the way the DR system works, it doesn't handle those large numbers very well. Which is why, for example, when I did my mod for Fallout: New Vegas I added in Damage Reduction as a percentage so it felt more valuable against those big attacks.

So, that's really the reason, to make those distinctions cleaner. But those numbers are probably going to change.

I won't be surprised if there will be dragons with huge both damage and PEN. Obs failed at absolute reduction in POE1, thay may fail again in POE2.
And this overpenetration concept (which is wrong for a number of reasons) can actually deadfire backfire by making those big hits even bigger.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hadn't previously thought about Overpenetration from the opposite perspective. It's good in that it reduces the scenario of players always stripping off their armor when facing an enemy with high pen (because even if it always penetrates, you wouldn't want it to overpenetrate).

Hey guys. Is there somewhere an archive of all PoE2 portraits from Beta? Wanted to replay the first game to prepare save file for the second and though it would be cool to have the same portrait in both of them.

If you own the beta, you can find the portraits in the game directory, under Data/art/gui or something like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Don't know if this one is new too, as I haven't checked the beta for months, but I hadn't seen this version of the map.

map.png

Some option to leave at any moment, some emblem and some info on the city. The imports/exports part is intriguing.
Really like the visual aspect of it.
Also it got 0.64 dwarfs.
It is 1.56% , the population is 64 people therefore you go for 100/64 not the reverse.

Thonius

Arcane
Don't know if this one is new too, as I haven't checked the beta for months, but I hadn't seen this version of the map.

map.png

Some option to leave at any moment, some emblem and some info on the city. The imports/exports part is intriguing.
Really like the visual aspect of it.
Also it got 0.64 dwarfs.
It is 1.56% , the population is 64 people therefore you go for 100/64 not the reverse.
64*0.01=0.64

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Weird, the game's companion portrait directory has been erased. I guess they finally realized they were spoiling them or something?

New player portraits:

And there's a bunch of new watercolor-style NPC portraits.

Fucking ugly photos and not because of different ethnicity. It is because they look exactly like the kind of young people whom you could find hanging out in a university Starbucks or Costa Cafe (Feel totally out of place in a fantasy setting). This, coupled with quotes like "Romance a shark boy" speaks volumes about the design philosophies of PoE dev team. Dull Sawyrism sprinkled with glitters of bioware-ism. Best of both worlds!!!:dead:

I salute you sir . But there is no suprise here survey showed mostly murican and probably white male to be main consumers + ex bioware fans = hidden left-wing extremist elements being pushed for profit ofc.

Prime Junta

Just fired up the new beta. This is clearly :incline:. The passive feats available to all classes bring back a lot of the flexibility that was lost when most of them were made class- or weapon-specific. Between these and the mass of subclass and mutliclass combos there's now a lot of room to experiment.

(Also it no longer runs like ass, which is good too. Eccosi per incontinenza haka kuaru humuhumu, as they say where I'm from!)

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
That Titan just kicked my ass. It was too weak before, but I would almost argue it is over tuned now. I was not expecting that many summons.

I also made the mistake of having a melee character with 10 constitution. Consequently, the character had around 90 hp, whereas the Fishmen would cast Necrotic Lance for 80 damage. I also made a mistake of creating an evocation Wizard, and every time I tried to cast an empowered Fireball, the fishmen would do an AoE disorient (had a smoke effect) and I would lose the cast.

They've added quite a bit of passive talents to Priests, including a passive which reduces your casting times and another which increases the range of your casts.
A bit early to say, but if you happen to playtest the priest, can your report on this change ?
I mean, that sounds like nobrain choices for a spellcaster, but I can't remember what other choices the player has if he doesn't go with these.
I do not have a conclusive opinion just yet. The extra spells help for sure, but I have not reached the new feats just yet (took screenshots below).

Nyvikwk.png
y6SfuxS.png
dN6queN.png
hH6XkGm.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maculo, what difficulty? Like I said, it's possible to kill him even with very shit parties on PotD, but it does indeed seem very overtuned.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That Titan just kicked my ass. It was too weak before, but I would almost argue it is over tuned now. I was not expecting that many summons.

I also made the mistake of having a melee character with 10 constitution. Consequently, the character had around 90 hp, whereas the Fishmen would cast Necrotic Lance for 80 damage. I also made a mistake of creating an evocation Wizard, and every time I tried to cast an empowered Fireball, the fishmen would do an AoE disorient (had a smoke effect) and I would lose the cast.

They've added quite a bit of passive talents to Priests, including a passive which reduces your casting times and another which increases the range of your casts.
A bit early to say, but if you happen to playtest the priest, can your report on this change ?
I mean, that sounds like nobrain choices for a spellcaster, but I can't remember what other choices the player has if he doesn't go with these.
I do not have a conclusive opinion just yet. The extra spells help for sure, but I have not reached the new feats just yet (took screenshots below).

Nyvikwk.png
y6SfuxS.png
dN6queN.png
hH6XkGm.png
Cipher + rapid casting= new era of incline

Ent

Savant
the new nature godlike passive is pretty neat. Increases the power level of abilities by 2 when they are under the effects of a status buff.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Maculo, what difficulty? Like I said, it's possible to kill him even with very shit parties on PotD, but it does indeed seem very overtuned.
PotD, I tried another party and got him down to 15%. I am sure I could defeat him with enough time. What tactic did you employ?

What caught me off more so was the damage rate of the Fishmen's Necrotic Lance. At 10 constitution, a character could have around 90 hp, and to have an 80 damage Necrotic Lance could rain on some people's parades.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Weird, the game's companion portrait directory has been erased. I guess they finally realized they were spoiling them or something?

New player portraits:

And there's a bunch of new watercolor-style NPC portraits.
deviant art grade

nary a huwhite boi to be found
mystery.png

also, is that the cuck version of nightcrawler from x-men?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat is in dire need of being fixed. I just watched a guy take 6 minutes in the lagufaeth fight which starts from a scripted interaction on the map. This isn't normal.

There are some UI improvements, but the UI design continues to be terrible. The empower button is so overdone, it's hilarious. They could have made a little Josh portrait slide in from the bottom left of the screen like the MS Office Paperclip, and remind you to use your empowers.

Adding generic abilities is something I rather dislike, since they are a step in the direction of making classes less unique.

Might controlling power of spells and physical damage is moronic, has always been, and will always be. At least they made the change to Resolve as well, so it's more valuable for everyone now.

Overall, I see a lot of room for modding.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Adding generic abilities is something I rather dislike, since they are a step in the direction of making classes less unique.
Classes having unique advantages in one thing, but Deadfire seems to be taking this too far sometimes.

For example if I understand correctly only fighters are able to have 4 weapon slots and only with one of the subclasses, all other classes are limited to 2. This means that gun switch builds will be only possible with a fighter single/multiclass. Gun switch builds are inherently ranged damage dealers with a focus on huge burst damage while fighter is inherently a defensive class focused on melee. They simply don't fit each other.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
PotD, I tried another party and got him down to 15%. I am sure I could defeat him with enough time. What tactic did you employ?

What caught me off more so was the damage rate of the Fishmen's Necrotic Lance. At 10 constitution, a character could have around 90 hp, and to have an 80 damage Necrotic Lance could rain on some people's parades.

I kited the titan until the summons leashed and killed him that way. That's the gist of it, even if it took like 15 minutes.

Just finished the last fight in the Beyond, one-shot it this time. Apart from some things I could've done differently, like multi-class the Priest with Rogue (Fighter doesn't work as well as I thought it would, the lack of sneak attack kills the whole concept as it doesn't do enough damage), I won't bother with explaining minute details. There is one big problem that I realized throughout the whole thing - the combat just isn't engaging. At all. All battles are resolved in the same way, you still spam a lot of abilities and the combat isn't clear. Most of the time I can't understand what is happening and everything feels arbitrary and chaotic. I simply feel bored and a little bit frustrated. It's kind of like MMO combat in a way, tank, spam heals, do damage. I really don't know what else to say.

I also tried the ship combat, it's shockingly terrible and pointless.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Don't know about Ciphers, but Wizards are a bit better. Casters generally seem a bit better because they reduced their casting times, so they can spam more stuff. My Wizard and my Paladin did around the same amount of damage, but the Paladin was a dual-wielding tank with plate armor. The Beckoner was by far the best damage dealer, the drakes are ridiculously OP.

Ulfhednar

Savant
So if the enemy ships escape, and you chase them down on the overworld map, they immediately repair their sails and hull... you do not. The ship minigame is officially shit.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: tangible presence

In addition to your encounter with Thaos at the beginning of the game in Cilant Lis and at the end of the game in Sun-in-Shadow, he also:

1) Leads a cult of followers in the sewers of Defiance Bay.
2) Personally manipulates the animancy research at the Brackenbury Asylum.
3) Sends his underlings to activate Engwithan machinery at Heritage Hill and Cliaban Rilag.
4) Dispatches assassins to ambush your party after you've foiled some of his schemes.
5) Assassinates the duc and then destroys Dunryd Row.
6) Assaults and kills several Glanfathans in Twin Elms on his way to Sun-in-Shadow.

Do you remember all of this shit?

It is so generic fantasy and you remember it all? Impressive memory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom