Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The arguments about POTD are given me one of those “can’t tell whether I’m the one who doesn’t get it or I’m the only one who gets it” conundrums. The way I look at it, Hard or Veteran or Battle-scared or whatever, should be the tuned and balanced to be the hardest reasonable challenge for like 99.9% of players. POTD should basically be an unbalanced mess created to fuck with edgelords and people who hate themselves...which, given all the complaints after the latest patch, it is on the way to being, though still not quite there.

I don't disagree... I think PotD should always err on the side of pain in the ass... but that in itself implies a kind of balance, otherwise you'll veer between super easy content and overtuned content, which isn't going to satisfy the edgelords either. (And if it starts out brutal then ends up easy yet again... well, that's not going to make anyone happy either)

2house2fly

Magister
Ooh: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post482675016

C0IrSL0.png
Sawyer must really value that guy's insight to keep reading his posts despite every one of them being carefully crafted to try and piss him off

Arnust

Savant
The arguments about POTD are given me one of those “can’t tell whether I’m the one who doesn’t get it or I’m the only one who gets it” conundrums. The way I look at it, Hard or Veteran or Battle-scared or whatever, should be the tuned and balanced to be the hardest reasonable challenge for like 99.9% of players. POTD should basically be an unbalanced mess created to fuck with edgelords and people who hate themselves...which, given all the complaints after the latest patch, it is on the way to being, though still not quite there.
I do agree with you mate. Also it is no 0.1 percent of players,apparently it is 0.6 percent.
Screenshot_2018_4_1_Steam_Community_Pillars_of_Eternity_Achievements.png

0.1 percent are the people that actually finished all the things in the game on higher difficulty and not just gamed the game and skipped half the content.
- and haven't played a pirated or GOG version

The combat, which is the only thing difficulty affects isn't for everyone and feels kind of awful unless it's what you actually want, though. Nevermind all the people that are in for you know, the story and roleplayin nshieeeet.

Albeit I'm playing Tyranny on the POTD equivalent, should be better as I find that it's combat is a lot more enjoyable. I wish they had taken some more cues from it for Deadfire.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not 0.6% of players that play PotD, it's 0.6% of all players who completed the game on PotD. There's an immense difference. The difference being that only 10ish% of people complete the game at all. So it's actually 6% of people who completed the game. Still low, but 10 times more than 0.6. Just checked my GOG statistic and it's 0.5%.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was reading up on the factions for the first time and I came across this quote about the Princpi:
  • ""The Príncipi frequently target Vailian Trading Company ships. Remembering that the first families could not find shelter in the Republics during their voyage, the Príncipi subject even surrendering crews to (painless) humiliations, such as leaving them all stranded in their smallclothes.""
Why do they put emphasis on "painless" ? What kind of Corsairs are those exactly? Teletubby Corsairs? This made me skeptical that Obs can display colonialism and piracy in its entire grotesque forms based on quotes like this. Probably it will be something like Colonialism and Piracy lite so that they will not offend the sensibilities of their audience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are more of an ideological group than a pirate organization. Sure, they pirate, but they pirate to stick it to the system.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you play on PotD then you aim to finish it not just to mess around. People play it so they can feel the actual accomplishment of beating the game,not to kill the xaurip on the beginning.

Delterius

Arcane
Or the decades of 'hard' being easy and 'infernal nightmare mode' being just slightly challenging created a culture of inflated egos where people can't not try the game on the hardest mode before rationalizing their badness.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was reading up on the factions for the first time and I came across this quote about the Princpi:
  • ""The Príncipi frequently target Vailian Trading Company ships. Remembering that the first families could not find shelter in the Republics during their voyage, the Príncipi subject even surrendering crews to (painless) humiliations, such as leaving them all stranded in their smallclothes.""
Why do they put emphasis on "painless" ? What kind of Corsairs are those exactly? Teletubby Corsairs? This made me skeptical that Obs can display colonialism and piracy in its entire grotesque forms based on quotes like this. Probably it will be something like Colonialism and Piracy lite so that they will not offend the sensibilities of their audience.

The key word here is “surrendering.” Torturing captives who surrender is bad for business. Any smart pirate wants a reputation for leaving crews alive and unharmed if they strike their colors; no reason to give your prey an incentive to fight to the death. I’m sure they have a far more creative approach to those who resist. Given the amount of torture, ass rape and infanticide in Tyranny, I wouldn’t worry about Deadfire’s pirates lacking in brutality.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The keyword is "even". They humiliate their enemies, even surrendering crews.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I always chuckle at the thought of COMBAT having such a profound role in a otherwise story-heavy oriented rpg as poe2.

I mean, it's not exactly x-com or JA 2.

Do people really play poe2 or poe1 primarily because of the combat? I get that you would want a challenge, but, there are other games that have way better strategic and tactical challenges in combat than a story-rpg.

I'm personally never gonna play POTD, because I don't enjoy a min-max cheese combat playtrough, when I want to focus on the story and exploration itself. I know combat is tied to that obviously, but it's less important for my own enjoyment.

Fallout 1's combat is pretty lacklustre, too, but the game is still incredibly great, because the rest of the game makes up for the combat.

Lacrymas

Arcane
PoE doesn't have anything else to offer besides the combat, so we stick to that. So, yeah, a lot of people played PoE only because of the combat, me included.

Mazisky

Magister
YEAH LOL FAGGOTS DO YOU ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES FOR THE CONTENT YOU SPEND 80% OF YOUR TIME ENGANGING WITH

In games like PoE or classic Rpgs in general it is more like 30% reading dialogues 30% combat and 40% exploration.

So techically even if you skip combat you are still enjoying 70% of the game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, obviously, I picked that because it was an interesting Priest/Rogue multi-class-like build. My thoughts on the whole religion came after that.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
PoE doesn't have anything else to offer besides the combat, so we stick to that. So, yeah, a lot of people played PoE only because of the combat, me included.

If you are only playing poe and poe2 for the combat, there are numerous upon numerous other fantasy and non-fantasy rpgs with much better combat.

Why are you even playing this game, if you only like the combat? That's what I don't entirely get.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ohhh,so you don't play for the roleplaying as a priest of a slave god?!

Doesn't matter. Playing priest of a slave god or god of compassion, both will play 99% the same way. This was true for PoE and I have a feeling it will be true for Deadfire as well. Most C&C will lead to the same thing but with different flavors.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Name those RPGs with better combat. I'm not saying PoE has good combat, far from that, but it's the closest thing to the IE games, so it's fine even only as a novelty. It also provides a bit of a challenge on PotD, so that's good.

Doesn't matter. Playing priest of a slave god or god of compassion, both will play 99% the same way. This was true for PoE and I have a feeling it will be true for its Dead fire as well. Most C&C will lead to the same thing but with different flavors.

Actually not. This is probably the most dramatic difference between builds of the same class. A Skaen Priest can be built like a Priest/Rogue multi-class, probably the only such potential in the entire game. A priest of any other denomination plays like a generic support caster and Durance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom