Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

A priest of any other domination plays like a generic support caster and Durance.

You've clearly not explored priest builds much. Priest of Eothas for example makes an excellent off-tank, like a defensively-built fighter/priest multiclass.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Implying Durance can't put on plate armor and off-tank as well? Or a chanter doing the same? Priest of Eothas only gains Hope Eternal, which doesn't facilitate a comparison with fighters.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The key word here is “surrendering.” Torturing captives who surrender is bad for business. Any smart pirate wants a reputation for leaving crews alive and unharmed if they strike their colors; no reason to give your prey an incentive to fight to the death. I’m sure they have a far more creative approach to those who resist. Given the amount of torture, ass rape and infanticide in Tyranny, I wouldn’t worry about Deadfire’s pirates lacking in brutality.
I see you haven't heard of this agreeable fellow.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I find that a good old Magran priest works surprisingly well:

good ole whispers of yenwood comes with that Reliable enchantment and it will serve until 3rd act when you get much better swords + osrics family breastplate which is Exceptional and has Second Wind makes for a perfect off-tank wear + either Small shield or a Large shield to boost deflection and reflex.

Durance already comes with 19 resove so the shield boosts that further then

- +2 CON from whispers of yenwood plus another +2 CON from wherever (my recommendation would be a belt)
- bracers of might (to boost self-recovery and other obvious things)
- +10 ACC from Magran then Yenwood Reliable enchantment
- cross-class talent of veterans recovery
- other talents how you normally would build your off-tank
- Amulet of heaing the one that increases received healing % (it boosts veterans recovery)

It ends up working mostly because PoE1 Priests dont need talents just spells so basically all of durances talents are free picks.

That was how my durance was set up last POTD paythrough and he was holding more than his own once he buffed himself with <insert priest spell here>.

he wont be dealing tons of DMG but you can send him into the middle of the melee to cast short-range small-AoE field spells and buffs without worrying about him.

There is another sub-class that has Mace as the blessed weapon but I think Yenwood swords Reliable enchantment is better + it comes with the +2 CON.

If you go without Shield and use Yenwood 1handed his DPS becomes actually good! But later on lacking that shield boost to Deflection means POTD hard fights will rape his Priest class base deflection.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Name those RPGs with better combat. I'm not saying PoE has good combat, far from that, but it's the closest thing to the IE games, so it's fine even only as a novelty. It also provides a bit of a challenge on PotD, so that's good.

Doesn't matter. Playing priest of a slave god or god of compassion, both will play 99% the same way. This was true for PoE and I have a feeling it will be true for its Dead fire as well. Most C&C will lead to the same thing but with different flavors.

Actually not. This is probably the most dramatic difference between builds of the same class. A Skaen Priest can be built like a Priest/Rogue multi-class, probably the only such potential in the entire game. A priest of any other denomination plays like a generic support caster and Durance.
Knights of the Chalice for example,you can also replay IE games. I have no problem with you playing the game,i just don't get it why would you replay the game for the combat when you can replay games with far better combat. Icewind dale 1&2 are the best about combat,after all they were build around it.

frajaq

Erudite
Those old ass games are really awful to play though, specially when you're used to many QoL changes through the years

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Knights of the Chalice for example,you can also replay IE games. I have no problem with you playing the game,i just don't get it why would you replay the game for the combat when you can replay games with far better combat. Icewind dale 1&2 are the best about combat,after all they were build around it.

I've only finished PoE twice, once when it came out (big mistake) and the last time like 7-8 months ago (with the Skaen Priest), so I'm not exactly replaying it often. I literally played it with the Skaen Priest for the combat, hiring adventurers and not reading 90% of the garbage text. It was fine. I stopped my Triple Crown run because it became repetitive. I've replayed BG1 3 times in the last year and a half, IWD one time. I'm currently playing through HoMM1 and M&M XL. So, yeah, I am playing better games. I haven't played more than the demo of KotC yet, but I am planning to.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i think the argument that if you enjoy the combat in POE then you should play something else is not a logically sound argument.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Those old ass games are really awful to play though, specially when you're used to many QoL changes through the years
EEs or mods can get you up to speed on lots of QoL updates - and PoE requires more micromanagement than the IE games anyways, so I don't know what you're talking about...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I've only finished PoE twice, once when it came out (big mistake) and the last time like 7-8 months ago (with the Skaen Priest), so I'm not exactly replaying it often. I literally played it with the Skaen Priest for the combat, hiring adventurers and not reading 90% of the garbage text. It was fine. I stopped my Triple Crown run because it became repetitive. I've replayed BG1 3 times in the last year and a half, IWD one time. I'm currently playing through HoMM1 and M&M XL. So, yeah, I am playing better games. I haven't played more than the demo of KotC yet, but I am planning to.
Sorry mate,got the impression that you are replaying the game frequently. KotC is pretty good when it comes to the combat,i dropped it,but i am a storyfag.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
EEs or mods can get you up to speed on lots of QoL updates - and PoE requires more micromanagement than the IE games anyways, so I don't know what you're talking about...
That is because the atrocious path finding. PoE have the worst path finding that i have seen in a rpg. Shoving their faces in the ass of the guy in front and keep running is really bad.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About time they had another one of those. Maybe we get to see the non-beta content that was shown at GDC.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Whilst the two girls waited, Gerald Crich trotted up on a red Arab mare. He rode well and softly, pleased with the delicate quivering of the creature between his knees. And he was very picturesque, at least in Gudrun's eyes, sitting soft and close on the slender red mare, whose long tail flowed on the air. He saluted the two girls, and drew up at the crossing to wait for the gate, looking down the railway for the approaching train. In spite of her ironic smile at his picturesqueness, Gudrun liked to look at him. He was well- set and easy, his face with its warm tan showed up his whitish, coarse moustache, and his blue eyes were full of sharp light as he watched the distance.

The locomotive chuffed slowly between the banks, hidden. The mare did not like it. She began to wince away, as if hurt by the unknown noise. But Gerald pulled her back and held her head to the gate. The sharp blasts of the chuffing engine broke with more and more force on her. The repeated sharp blows of unknown, terrifying noise struck through her till she was rocking with terror. She recoiled like a spring let go. But a glistening, half-smiling look came into Gerald's face. He brought her back again, inevitably.

The noise was released, the little locomotive with her clanking steel connecting-rod emerged on the highroad, clanking sharply. The mare rebounded like a drop of water from hot iron. Ursula and Gudrun pressed back into the hedge, in fear. But Gerald was heavy on the mare, and forced her back. It seemed as if he sank into her magnetically, and could thrust her back against herself.

`The fool!' cried Ursula loudly. `Why doesn't he ride away till it's gone by?'

Gudrun was looking at him with black-dilated, spellbound eyes. But he sat glistening and obstinate, forcing the wheeling mare, which spun and swerved like a wind, and yet could not get out of the grasp of his will, nor escape from the mad clamour of terror that resounded through her, as the trucks thumped slowly, heavily, horrifying, one after the other, one pursuing the other, over the rails of the crossing.

The locomotive, as if wanting to see what could be done, put on the brakes, and back came the trucks rebounding on the iron buffers, striking like horrible cymbals, clashing nearer and nearer in frightful strident concussions. The mare opened her mouth and rose slowly, as if lifted up on a wind of terror. Then suddenly her fore feet struck out, as she convulsed herself utterly away from the horror. Back she went, and the two girls clung to each other, feeling she must fall backwards on top of him. But he leaned forward, his face shining with fixed amusement, and at last he brought her down, sank her down, and was bearing her back to the mark. But as strong as the pressure of his compulsion was the repulsion of her utter terror, throwing her back away from the railway, so that she spun round and round, on two legs, as if she were in the centre of some whirlwind. It made Gudrun faint with poignant dizziness, which seemed to penetrate to her heart.

`No -- ! No -- ! Let her go! Let her go, you fool, you fool -- !' cried Ursula at the top of her voice, completely outside herself. And Gudrun hated her bitterly for being outside herself. It was unendurable that Ursula's voice was so powerful and naked.

A sharpened look came on Gerald's face. He bit himself down on the mare like a keen edge biting home, and forced her round. She roared as she breathed, her nostrils were two wide, hot holes, her mouth was apart, her eyes frenzied. It was a repulsive sight. But he held on her unrelaxed, with an almost mechanical relentlessness, keen as a sword pressing in to her. Both man and horse were sweating with violence. Yet he seemed calm as a ray of cold sunshine.

Meanwhile the eternal trucks were rumbling on, very slowly, treading one after the other, one after the other, like a disgusting dream that has no end. The connecting chains were grinding and squeaking as the tension varied, the mare pawed and struck away mechanically now, her terror fulfilled in her, for now the man encompassed her; her paws were blind and pathetic as she beat the air, the man closed round her, and brought her down, almost as if she were part of his own physique.

`And she's bleeding! She's bleeding!' cried Ursula, frantic with opposition and hatred of Gerald. She alone understood him perfectly, in pure opposition.

Gudrun looked and saw the trickles of blood on the sides of the mare, and she turned white. And then on the very wound the bright spurs came down, pressing relentlessly. The world reeled and passed into nothingness for Gudrun, she could not know any more.

When she recovered, her soul was calm and cold, without feeling. The trucks were still rumbling by, and the man and the mare were still fighting. But she herself was cold and separate, she had no more feeling for them. She was quite hard and cold and indifferent.

Delterius

Arcane
YEAH LOL FAGGOTS DO YOU ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES FOR THE CONTENT YOU SPEND 80% OF YOUR TIME ENGANGING WITH

In games like PoE or classic Rpgs in general it is more like 30% reading dialogues 30% combat and 40% exploration.

So techically even if you skip combat you are still enjoying 70% of the game.
lol in games like actually classic RPGs its 90% rerolling character after you died and 10% reloading your saves because you died

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
`It is just the opposite, just the contrary, Herm. We are all different and unequal in spirit -- it is only the social differences that are based on accidental material conditions. We are all abstractly or mathematically equal, if you like. Every man has hunger and thirst, two eyes, one nose and two legs. We're all the same in point of number. But spiritually, there is pure difference and neither equality nor inequality counts. It is upon these two bits of knowledge that you must found a state. Your democracy is an absolute lie -- your brotherhood of man is a pure falsity, if you apply it further than the mathematical abstraction. We all drank milk first, we all eat bread and meat, we all want to ride in motor-cars -- therein lies the beginning and the end of the brotherhood of man. But no equality.

`But I, myself, who am myself, what have I to do with equality with any other man or woman? In the spirit, I am as separate as one star is from another, as different in quality and quantity. Establish a state on that. One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison. The minute you begin to compare, one man is seen to be far better than another, all the inequality you can imagine is there by nature. I want every man to have his share in the world's goods, so that I am rid of his importunity, so that I can tell him: "Now you've got what you want -- you've got your fair share of the world's gear. Now, you one-mouthed fool, mind yourself and don't obstruct me.'

isnt it shocking when one sees good writing and suddenly remembers the tripe we are accustomed to in RPGs?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
+2 CON from whispers of yenwood plus another +2 CON from wherever (my recommendation would be a belt)
does that really work ?

On another note, i paid a visit to the regretted black geyser project and discovered that they went for an interesting ui

beta-img1-new.png

Sadly, there's no news since november 2016, and little hope that we'll ever be able to play as a crushmaster :(

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Implying Durance can't put on plate armor and off-tank as well? Or a chanter doing the same? Priest of Eothas only gains Hope Eternal, which doesn't facilitate a comparison with fighters.

Hope Eternal allows them to wield Gaun's Share effectively. It returns 20% of damage as Endurance. This is almost as good as a fighter's Constant Recovery and makes a massive difference to tanking. Similar builds are possible around each deity's signature weapons, and they do play differently.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
+2 CON from whispers of yenwood plus another +2 CON from wherever (my recommendation would be a belt)
does that really work ?

On another note, i paid a visit to the regretted black geyser project and discovered that they went for an interesting ui

beta-img1-new.png

Sadly, there's no news since november 2016, and little hope that we'll ever be able to play as a crushmaster :(
Plagiarism at its finest

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
does that really work ?

beta-img1-new.png

Plagiarism at its finest
And unhealthy amount of crosses.

Mazisky

Magister
This screenshot is hiding one of the most surprising features of PoE 2: People can finally sit!!! Even on chairs or crates!!!

No more empty tables in the Inns i hope

PillarsOfEternity2+2018-03-14+15-51-14-44x.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom