Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Can you fucking fuck the fuck off with fucking Fuckital Role shit?

Now you can play as the Critical Role™ characters!11!oen!

Nobody said you are going to die from the stomach ache. I think he said that doing something specific can get you killed, like drinking water or alcohol, or something like that.
I think it was if you DON'T drink water you die, which opens more questions because after getting the berries you go the clearing where the hunter guy who was supposed to get you the water is and then the Glanfathans attack and you still have the full waterskin item but you use it in the temple for a puzzle and what I'm trying to say is you NEVER drink the water

Otterz

Literate
Now you can play as the Critical Role™ characters!11!oen!

Nobody said you are going to die from the stomach ache. I think he said that doing something specific can get you killed, like drinking water or alcohol, or something like that.
I think it was if you DON'T drink water you die, which opens more questions because after getting the berries you go the clearing where the hunter guy who was supposed to get you the water is and then the Glanfathans attack and you still have the full waterskin item but you use it in the temple for a puzzle and what I'm trying to say is you NEVER drink the water

Yeah. Drinking water/brewing the tea wouldn't have helped the sickness anyhow. Because it's actually heavily implied (and also confirmed by Josh somewhere on one of his socials iirc) that you're being sick due to Thaos beig near you and your soul striving to awaken. The rotgut thing is just a red herring/ what commoners think it is by looking at your symptoms.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
If I see just one more reference to Crit Role/Vox Machina I'm going to flip. Don't get me wrong: I am glad they managed to hire some quality VAs for Deadfire, but this whole whole "Collab! DLC! Intermingling fandoms! HYPE!!" is literally dragging my patience across the negative side of the chart.

Ahem.*

Critical Role.

Proceed with the flipping, please.

* (Said like a theater major!!)

Otterz

Literate
Ahem.*

Critical Role.

Proceed with the flipping, please.

* (Said like a theater major!!)

giphy.gif

Naesaki

Novice
PoE story begins with the caravan stopping because you are too ill and then you being sent to fight wolves to get your own medicine.

So yeah, my hopes are not very high.

You could also just kill the entire caravan at the start and what not and completely ignore getting yourself cured of your ailment, you get some alternate slides before it then cuts to the biawic. Such a missed opportunity to have you dies days later cause you didn't find the berries to cure said ailment.

Shows how much I remember xD

santino27

Arcane
Patron
PoE story begins with the caravan stopping because you are too ill and then you being sent to fight wolves to get your own medicine.

You could also just kill the entire caravan at the start and what not and completely ignore getting yourself cured of your ailment, you get some alternate slides before it then cuts to the biawic. Such a missed opportunity to have you dies days later cause you didn't find the berries to cure said ailment.

Shows how much I remember xD

The dialogue:

• "Touch of the Rumbling Rot, could be. There's a stinging beetle 'round here, carries it. You'll be fine once it passes your innards. 'Less you don't drink water, course, which case you'll be dead in a day."
  • "There's a berry grows in these parts, small and pink. Calleda springberry. 'Bout the size of a fingernail. Give you cramps if you eat it, but the frontiersmen make a tea from it, calms the insides. Should get you through the night. You might check around, see if you can find some. Meanwhile I'll see if we can scare you up some water."

Starwars

Arcane
When you awaken after you first see Thaos, I'm pretty sure the game states that your malaise has been replaced by something else (being Awakened).

Generic-Giant-Spider

What the fug is critical role?

It's where a group of voice actors play really shitty D&D for an hour and we're supposed to enjoy their hilarious quirkiness because they're nerds like you and I and that means we must love them no matter what.

They don't even play D&D in a basement with concrete flooring, wine coolers and a lot of acid. Fuckin' pussies. Wouldn't last a level in my campaigns.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
As a russian I stopped pirate shit long time ago... sooooo. ( it's both games decline, increase in expandable income, lack of time, f2p games such as dota, mod scene, sales and steam)
And to pirate demo/beta you gotta be a hardass fan. I'm sure beta is somewhere in the webz... you just have to search at a right place.

As a slav, I only pirate games that aren't available DRM-free only cost money.

Parabalus

Arcane
What the fug is critical role?

It's where a group of voice actors play really shitty D&D for an hour and we're supposed to enjoy their hilarious quirkiness because they're nerds like you and I and that means we must love them no matter what.

They don't even play D&D in a basement with concrete flooring, wine coolers and a lot of acid. Fuckin' pussies. Wouldn't last a level in my campaigns.

How popular is this Critical Role stuff? Do they even have any competition?

I looked at their YT channel and they have 8 million-ish views on their first episode, and 400k on the last of the same campaign. They are all 3+ hour videos. I glanced at it and it was less cringey than I thought it would be tbh.

The game also forgets that it just told you through a wizened old caravan leader that you'll die if you don't get the medicine because it needed to soul wind or whatever.

Pretty sure it's implied that the malaise is the result of Thaos' Engwithan machine winding up for sucking souls and you being a sensitive Watcher, not a random STD or flu.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How popular is this Critical Role stuff? Do they even have any competition?

I looked at their YT channel and they have 8 million-ish views on their first episode, and 400k on the last of the same campaign. They are all 3+ hour videos. I glanced at it and it was less cringey than I thought it would be tbh.

They are very popular at conventions and they have filled 1000+ audience live shows a few times. They have over 35000 paying subscribers on twitch and when Mercer released a campaign guide for the show's setting through Green Ronin it was a smash hit and by far their best selling release in the history of the company.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Real nerds are too busy actually playing the tabletop campaigns and don't have the time or the desire to watch "Critical Role" play one for 3 hours straight or go to conventions.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
Apparently, they are popular enough to crash the versus evil pre-order site:

Just looking at the comments on the original tweet, guess this is reaching a lot of people that like CR and didn't already order POE2. More importantly, it's convincing them to at least visit the pre-order site.

It's almost like 30k+ subscribers > 50+ active shitposters (myself incldued) on the codex poe2 thread :P

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Real nerds are too busy actually playing the tabletop campaigns and don't have the time or the desire to watch "Critical Role" play one for 3 hours straight or go to conventions.

There is currently an argument in the pnp RPG community exactly along these lines.
It's absurd and unnecessary.

I don't care about CR in the slightest, I've never watched any of their videos, I prefer to play DnD rather than watch it. But I understand why others do like to watch it.
This doesn't impact any of you here in any way, so why be so edgy about it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom