Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

oh joy

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, I will not complain about this, at all. I think this will be a must, from now on. Its a lot of dialogue and could be nice for roleplay. I dont see any decline about this feature.

Would be great if there's a switch for turning it on/ off.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder if that's why it got delayed. Fucking Larian...

All right boys, the Belgians have gone too far this time. Who wants to join a punitive expedition against the perfidious burghers of Ghent?

Prime Junta

I wonder if the lady with the S that's like chalk on a blackboard is still there.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
So that's why they delayed the game till 8 fucking may, to hear some shitty ass voice acting that most of time will make me squirm in pain? I still don't have anything to play and it's all their fault, do you know how empty my desktop is at the moment, I don't even know why I turn on up my computer anymore, what a terrible drought this year is.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I doubt that was the sole reason game got delayed but it sure as hell must have cut into funding. Which is crucial considering the fact that Sawyer spoke about not having enough resources for areas outside of the main city. I would have preferred if they developed exploration rather than spend money on full voice acting.

Tenebris

Scholar
Full VA on a freaking isometric game? I like a bit of voiced dialogue as much as the next guy but having the entire game VA'd is way overkill. It better not have affected the amount of choices and reactivity in the game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

That means some sorry son of a bitch had to actually record lines speaking that made up language they're in love with.

Prime Junta

Which is crucial considering the fact that Sawyer spoke about not having enough resources for areas outside of the main city.

Honest question, are you illiterate or just a boring ordinary liar?

Here's Josh:

There are two reasons. The first is that we allocated too many screens (of area) to Neketaka. We had a budget, but went over it to accommodate the quests that were designed for it. In the end, Neketaka does not feel too large, but it is a nice, big city. Cutting down the number of areas on the world map to compensate did not seem like a good option to me, as it would have made exploration much less enjoyable, so we committed to increasing the area budget overall.

He says the exact opposite of what you're implying: they increased the budget for areas outside the main city.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Read between the lines a bit perhaps? The budget that was not spend on full voice acting could have been spent on expanding on something they fell short on and had to reassess. So they could reach a better polish without limits of having to operate outside of the budget.

Starwars

Arcane
Would've expected them to hype this up more than the Critical Role thing, but what do I know about PR? Or maybe it's coming.

Anyway, meh. It's just not particularly interesting, especially when you'll hear voices starting to repeat a lot (which was a problem for PoE and White March). I mean, people like Matthew Mercer are fine because he actually does different voices and he's not instantly recognizeable. I had no idea he did both Aloth and Edér until I read about it. But the lady who does Sagani for example... instantly recognizeable anytime you hear her.

Guess we'll see how many actors are in the game.

I just turned off the VO in Tyranny, maybe I'll do it here as well unless the VO quality is a whole lot better.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, I will not complain about this, at all. I think this will be a must, from now on. Its a lot of dialogue and could be nice for roleplay. I dont see any decline about this feature.
It is a must if you want to imitate triple-A features in isometric cRPGs. Voice-acting works with action games with short sentences and next to no dialogues. These studios are trying so hard to jump in the casual train that they are becoming like Frankensteins. The mixture of voice acting with longwinded dialogues, or co-op in a cRPG are complete aberrations. What is worst is that you can easily see how these choices will increase the costs substantially, thus ensuring that they will make even more compromises to ensure bigger sales, and creating false expectations about isometric cRPGs, that will not only put unnecessary pressure on other studios, but it will also attract even more negative reviews from moronic nonliterate players demanding these superficial features. I can’t detest these studios enough.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't wait to not be able to read the text properly because they'll only voice the dialogue and not the descriptive text, so it will skip awkwardly. I'll probably turn it off immediately, though.

frajaq

Erudite
I simply cannot wait to be lore-dumped at once with the superb Critical Role™ voice acting Obsidian is offering me!

Tenebris

Scholar
It's funny. I recall them mentioning they didn't have the budget or time to give us more Paladin orders and Priest deities yet we end up with this.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can't wait to not be able to read the text properly because they'll only voice the dialogue and not the descriptive text, so it will skip awkwardly. I'll probably turn it off immediately, though.

28c6x1.jpg

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Erm....I don't get it. Are we actually to the point where people don't like VO in a game?
I mean did we revert all progress of the last 30-40 years in gaming in the Codex?
Wtf guys? What is happening in this thread???

VO is a "problem" if it's forced on the main character because that will mean limited and retarded lines a la FO4.
Why on earth do you all have an issue with the NPCs????

Did you play D&D with a mute DM or something? Am I missing something??

I'm not saying to be excited, but holy shit why the fuck such a reaction????

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom