Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Erm....I don't get it. Are we actually to the point where people don't like VO in a game?

We're at the point where everyone bitches about everything, basically.

Next phase is bargaining. When that doesn't work, we'll lynch Lacrymas and blame it on Infinitron.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Narrator VO: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post483124914

9yg5wKs.png

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Because full VO just does not work in a prose-style dialogue with a lot of descriptive text. Your reading speed does not correlate with your hearing speed, the voice over is also choppy because they do not voice the descriptions, which makes the entire experience an exercise in futility.
The problem is the text-adjective diarrhea they are using now. In MotB and F:NV you have VO just fine. In FO&FO2 the use of VO with talking heads was perfect.

Jezal_k23

VO is not a problem in and of itself. I think the problem is that we're on the path of making these games a lot more expensive than they actually needed to be with the demand for full VO, when these resources could be used elsewhere, or even not at all, lowering the game's development costs.

When the boom started, a huge "feature" that was associated with making these games was that they're cheaper to make, because they couldn't be made otherwise.

Larian raised the bar now, so if your oldschool RPG is anything less than fully voice acted, you've fallen behind and the mainstream audience will make note of that and it'll always be listed as "negative" of the game.

I hope that they at least get the increased sales to match the budget spent on their VO, and since this seems to matter so much for people, they just might.

Thonius

Arcane
IT'S THE ETERNAL BOAT ALL OVER AGAIN.

Cue a few decades later and we'll have a Kickstarter for a CRPG revival. Again.
REMEMBER THOSE CRPG WITH FULL VO? WE DO! So pledge to our kickstarter etc
Fully voiced with narrator? Jesus.....
Fucking larian... Also DOS2 was shit, prove me wrong! Hint: you can't.
EDIT: oh just loaded that forum post. Well at least no narrator.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Read any reddit thread about this and you'll find what I was talking about. "Oh jeez that's great news because reading all the text in the first game was literally impossible".

Thonius

Arcane
I'm not native English speaker. Yet I've managed to read all POE in ENG. And on those narrated transition between chapters, I was frustrated by the speed of the narrator and text scroll. Fucking russian( with terrible engl level) has no problem with reading text in POE (I think I even read all the baker NPC soul-bits/story's) yet ordinary Joe is to lazy/dumb.
REEEEEEE

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game already has top notch graphics and all its content implemented. Systemic changes are not budget dependent, they are simply decisions of the developers.

Adding VO does NOT influence the systems of the game or the addition of some feature (which one?) that would cost money. The game is feature complete for some time now, the VO is just added cosmetic value on the ready product.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
But that is the point. It's a cosmetic that costs a lot of money...
Well, they had that money and added this in the game. I don't see what the problem is? What could they add in the last month with that budget that would not be fully buggy and untested?
VO is easy to apply when you have all the dialogues ready

Tenebris

Scholar
Well, they had that money and added this in the game. I don't see what the problem is? What could they add in the last month with that budget that would not be fully buggy and untested?

Do we really know when they decided this? It could have been stewing for quite some time and they're only now telling us about it.

Thonius

Arcane
At Obsidian meeting room :
Let's see what can we spend our money on?
1) New writers
2) New systems
3) More C&C
4) Branching story
5) Good CG trailer
6) hookers and cocain
7) new office
8) contracts with non retarded streamer
9) Ad's on tv
10) Ad's
11) More ad's
12) More companions
13)
999)
1000) Stupid VO for stupid people
Choice is clear!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

Do we really know when they decided this? It could have been stewing for quite some time and they're only now telling us about it.
Do you think they had full VO planned for so much time but they kept it secret? Why?

Tenebris

Scholar
Do you think they had full VO planned for so much time but they kept it secret? Why?

To get the nonsense with Critical Role prepared among other things. You don't just go "We should put full VO into the game" and get started the next day. These things take time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

To get the nonsense with Critical Role prepared among other things. You don't just go "We should put full VO into the game" and get started the next day. These things take time.
I'm pretty sure they decided on this partnership relatively recently and then saw that a full on contract with the guys to voice the whole game is not too expensive and only takes a month, so they went for it.
Of course thats my assumption

Jezal_k23

But that is the point. It's a cosmetic that costs a lot of money...

I think VO being mandatory for these games now may take away more relevant content in future games. I'm not saying Deadfire in specific has had features cut because of full VO. Just that it's an unnecessary addition that inflates the budget.

Remember that not having to record full VO was an important element in getting Pillars 1 made?

Sentinel

Arcane

generate pre-release hype. or do you believe the timing of the announcement is a total coincidence?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Full VO is a big resource waste in a isometric RPG. Obsidian is really trying for the Biowaste career path. Lest hope that the game will be finished and feels coherent.

Let me explain how Obsidian should better spend their budget, because they're obviously casual-pandering idiots with no real (=my) understanding of the industry.
Well they were once on a brink of bankruptcy.... your point is?
That they cold be at the brink of bankruptcy yet again.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Let me explain how Obsidian should better spend their budget, because they're obviously casual-pandering idiots with no real (=my) understanding of the industry.
Well they were once on a brink of bankruptcy.... your point is?
That they now aren't
Maybe they went all in?
You and TheSentinel even agree that the full VO move is good marketing-wise so if they DO have financial issues isn't it a good choice??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom