Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Did Codexers who played PoE as a whole not pick up on that Eder was racist?

It's pretty clear if you take Hiravias in your party - but I don't know if a lot of people did.

Got to be honest, I never took Hiravias with me in any of my play-throughs*, so never saw Eder's anti-short-people thing.

*(because orlans are inferior and must be destroyed, obviously)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Looking at the new companion, I wonder how cipher/barbarian will work for focus buildup. Are they removing carnage from the game? I'd be happy if true, I find it to have terrible flavour and design.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Recently, while trying to replay PoE so I can finally see the expansion, I tried to make an orlan (the non-hairy variant) paladin tank (on PotD). It didn't go well, I don't remember why, I think it was something about engagement slots and Eder being better at tanking in general, so I switched to a moon-like druid. Was fun trying to be the shortest race though. Anyway, give me the option to genocide them, or anyone else for that matter. Also, about Eder being a racist - I didn't pick up on that when I played it, I was actually surprised they listed it as a defining character trait, I'm also not certain whether all the -isms and -phobias in general are character traits per se.

ushas

Savant
Looking at the new companion, I wonder how cipher/barbarian will work for focus buildup. Are they removing carnage from the game? I'd be happy if true, I find it to have terrible flavour and design.
Josh Sawyer: said:
no, Carnage won't ultra-boost Focus, but cipher self-buffs combined with barbarian powers could still be extremely strong.

Soul Whip, like Carnage and Sneak Attack, are all going to start small, be based off of base weapon damage, and increase with their associated Power Source. There are also a few things to keep in mind: Soul Whip only adds bonus damage if Focus isn't maxed. Once it maxes out, the damage bonus turns off.
(from SA posts)
Will soul whip work with carnage targets?

ushas

Savant
What are the changes?

No more endurance. It will instead be replaced by injuries.

But maybe that isn't set in stone, and Sawyer might end up changing it if enough people write insightful comments bitch about it.

Some old citations:
Josh Sawyer said:
Right now, what we are experimenting with is a system that uses injuries as the main way of gating players needing to rest. At least in terms of damage taken. We're not using the Health system, we're using just the—well, we now have, whether you want to call it hit points or health, we have essentially what was Stamina in the first game. If you get knocked out you'll get injuries, and injuries are a thing you want to rest to get rid of. We're keeping all the injuries. Fatigue can be one of those injuries, we abandoned the sort of time-based fatigue a long time ago. The idea is that when you rest that's how you get rid of those things. You can also get injuries from things like scripted interactions, if you miss a check when you do a jump or something like that; you can hurt your knee or your elbow or your shoulder. Things like that. All that stuff is still in place. We're experimenting with a healthless system using injuries primarily as the gating mechanism for it.

Personally, I really liked the Health mechanic. A lot of people found it confusing. We tried various ways of communicating it...I think that injuries do a pretty good job, and so I'd like to experiment at least with using injuries as the primary means for driving resting. We'll see. Like I said, I was the person who proposed and pushed for that mechanic, but I also don't want a bunch of people to not really understand what the hell is going on.
Our current design is that if you get KOd when you have 3+ injuries, you die.
You currently only get injuries through being KOd and through botching certain scripted interactions.

The bitching:
I'm not sure what to think from info we get. If those scripted interactions and injuries from them are frequent, then it has a potential, all depends on implementation. (I can imagine a whole party with variously broken limbs from chain fall after they didn't manage to coordinate some team pirouette)

Besides, I don't know how others play, I don't usually let my party members to get knocked out from combat in PoE1, at least not three times a day. So we have potentially lost the strategic layer here, unless combat encounters become overall much deadlier so then more then one remaining standing party member would be considered a sizable accomplishment.

Sizzle

Arcane
Looking at
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F051c98eeeea1dfb870db079141d54d45df3c1ff7%2Foriginal.png%3F1487089482

it seems they've included every class except druid and chanter (which is also possible, seeing as we don't know what the blue guy will be yet):

Eder: fighter or rogue
Aloth: wizard
Pallegina: paladin
Xoti: priest/monk
Rua's sister: ranger
Serafen: barbarian/cipher

Rev

Arcane
Since Sawyer has no love for BioWare-style retarded romances I'm hopeful that this relationships thing won't turn out in the turd we usually see in Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but I've just read the romance thread in the Obsidian forums and there already far too many idiots that should've abandoned internet forums when the BW Social Network closed. :argh:

Sentinel

Arcane
Looking at
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F051c98eeeea1dfb870db079141d54d45df3c1ff7%2Foriginal.png%3F1487089482

it seems they've included every class except druid and chanter (which is also possible, seeing as we don't know what the blue guy will be yet):

Blue guy has a dagger on his belt, I'd bet on a rogue. Obsidian seems to be loving their counter-clichés (for whatever reason) thing going on right now, so a huge dude being a rogue would fit that pretty well.
It'd make sense for him to be a Monk though. Seems to fit his looks and clothing.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Looking at

Blue guy has a dagger on his belt, I'd bet on a rogue. Obsidian seems to be loving their counter-clichés (for whatever reason) thing going on right now, so a huge dude being a rogue would fit that pretty well.
It'd make sense for him to be a Monk though. Seems to fit his looks and clothing.
Surely they wouldn't make another big Aumaua chanter companion.

That looks more like a wand in his belt to me.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looking at

I think its a flute. Or a tin whistle.

Maybe he's a druid/chanter godlike.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looking at

Agreed, looks like a wand. Tapers at one end, so it's unlikely to be a flute. No wrapping on either end, so it's unlikely to be a dagger.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Seeing as Kana's sister is a companion now, it would be pretty surprising if Kana doesn't have at least a cameo. Same for Sagani given the setting.

Rev

Arcane
Seeing as Kana's sister is a companion now, it would be pretty surprising if Kana doesn't have at least a cameo. Same for Sagani given the setting.
Yeah, Kana should pop up quite a few times in conversation and may have a cameo somewhere. Wonder if there will be consequences with his sister if the player imports a game in which Kana is dead, tho.

ushas

Savant
So if he is some sort of sea/moon Godlike aumaua of Ondra and also Huana druid, what if his shapeshift form is something like the Polpovir creature mentioned by AwesomeButton, as it's description fits well to that tribal fertility idol we have seen before?

Damn, I'm a nerd. The creature on the picture might be called Polpovir which is one of the Deadfire archipelago kinds of sea monsters. It's described here:
All the creatures you've read about in this book are nothing compared to the Polpovir. Barely the size of a man, what they lack in size and strength, they make up for in numbers and terrifying viciousness. Their lower halves are a mass of tentacles like an octopus or squid, but more numerous. The tentacles are long, black whips with suction cups on the underside and small thorny barbs on the top. The sheer number of tentacles gives them frightening speed when walking on land, pulling themselves forward almost as fast as a running horse. While they vaguely resemble a human from the waist up, any extended examination proves how wrong that assumption is. Long, stringy black hair falls from the top of their heads to cover a face taken directly from a nightmare. A wide, gaping mouth, cuts across the bottom of its head from ear to ear, full of wicked dagger-like teeth. Two large round eyes are sunken into its head, black as coal, shining with a malevolent fire. A small antenna protrudes from the middle of its forehead, ending in a small nodule that can glow with an eerie blue light. One can imagine a sailor on the deck of his ship at night, looking out across the black water, blood freezing as countless lights appear beneath the surface, rising toward him as the Polpovir swarm upward. Because they seem to be more octopus than man, they can collapse in on themselves, fitting into spaces no person should be able to. The smallest crack in a hull, the slightest separation between boards offers them entrance. It is not unknown for them to slaughter an entire crew from hold up to deck by infiltrating the ship from underneath. Fortunately they do not seem to have spread too far outside of the archipelago, but there may come a day when Polpovir attacks become commonplace.

pillars_of_eternity_2_deadfirejpg-6.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since Sawyer has no love for BioWare-style retarded romances I'm hopeful that this relationships thing won't turn out in the turd we usually see in Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but I've just read the romance thread in the Obsidian forums and there already far too many idiots that should've abandoned internet forums when the BW Social Network closed. :argh:
I agree but even with those reputation tags and this system, there is more than enough room for shitty writing to mess characters up. From what we've seen about Eder's "racism", I'm weary of exploring Obsidian's writers' understanding of concepts such as racism.

fobia

I agree but even with those reputation tags and this system, there is more than enough room for shitty writing to mess characters up. From what we've seen about Eder's "racism", I'm weary of exploring Obsidian's writers' understanding of concepts such as racism.

Come on, his racism is the most common kind of racism there is. If you don't want it labelled racism, call it childhood-story induced xenophobia. :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that it's possible to play through the game twice and spend over 350 hours with it and not notice Eder's "racism", and nevertheless he will have a quote-unqote "racist" character trait, just stinks suspiciously.

This is no longer the company that wrote FNV, let's not forget.

Rev

Arcane
Come on, his racism is the most common kind of racism there is. If you don't want it labelled racism, call it childhood-story induced xenophobia. :D
He doesn't really have problems with other cultures, races or whatever, tho. He doesn't treat Hiravias bad because he's an orlan, for example, he just says some mildly offensive statements unintentionally because of his poor background. If anything, his "racist" attitude is a very minor part of his character, although I can understand that today everyone is deemed to be racist for the most meaningless things.
The only one who could actually be considered racist is Durance, but one could argue that he hates pretty much everyone and everything. :M

Azarkon

Arcane

So I was looking at the companions list for obvious romance choices, and it occurred to me that they could troll everyone by not going for the obvious Eder/Aloth/Xoti/Pallegina romances, but instead make it so that you have to choose between the blue guy with the tentacle hair, the orlan, or the Aumaua. It'd be epic.

Now, were this Bioware, I'd expect more along the lines of Eder: gay, Aloth: transsexual, Xoti: lesbian, Pallegina: lesbian, blue guy: bisexual, orlan: furry, Aumaua: maybe straight, but probably gay.

Prime Junta

They should put in romances between the NPCs but none with you. You'd be there, all alone in the captain's cabin of the Majestic, while everybody else is banging away belowdecks. The butthurt would be epic...

Prime Junta

The fact that it's possible to play through the game twice and spend over 350 hours with it and not notice Eder's "racism", and nevertheless he will have a quote-unqote "racist" character trait, just stinks suspiciously.

Make a racist villain -> rage.
Make a sympathetic guy casually racist -> rage.
Make nobody racist at all with all races living happily together in harmony -> rage.

Can't win with you guys.

Rev

Arcane

Make a racist villain -> rage.
Make a sympathetic guy casually racist -> rage.
Make nobody racist at all with all races living happily together in harmony -> rage.

Can't win with you guys.
The second approach is actually nice and the one that makes more sense in a 16th century-inspired setting. It's just that many people wouldn't use the word "racist" to describe Eder when thinking about his primary personality traits.
Also, orlans commonly face discrimination in the Dyrwood (and they aren't exactly estimeed in Glanfathan either, from what we've seen in Twin Elms), so it's not like he is any worse than pretty much all of his countrymen.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom