Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Pillars of Eternity II SEC filing confirms Tyranny DLC on the way

Weasel
This discussion always reminds me of a well known abandoned Codex CYOA :negative:

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Arcanum 2 pls. NOT a remake. A new story in the same universe.
A lot of the story of Arcanum is uncovering the story of the world, finding out what really happened to make the world as it is. My favorite part is exploring Vendigroth, since that's when the final piece in the "what's going on in this world" clicks. But by the end, you've solved that mystery, visited every major place, and talked to every significant person in Arcanum. When I beat it, I didn't feel like there was more I needed to know about the world, and that makes constructing a meaningful sequel challenging.

Well, Arcanum 2 doesn't have to set place on the Arcanum. It can be another continent :P

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is an interesting dynamic (which has been discussed in the context of sequels by VD and others, esp. re: Banner Saga 2) involved there. On the one hand, players will almost always say they'd be happy with more of the same, they love the engine, etc., etc. Yet there seem to be major diminishing returns, and that seems to have gotten worse lately. Players played a lot of very similar Gold Box and Infinity Engine games, but now there seems more pressure for changing the framework after each title (more like what the Ultimas did, I guess). I generally think I'd be happy seeing the same engine refined and expanded (like HBS did with Shadowrun) rather than new engines, but that seems like a not great business strategy.

Bethesda would disagree with you on the bit about diminishing returns using the same creaky engine game after game. Only reason FO4 didn't do as well as Skyrim is they changed too much on an already secondary IP for them.

Raapys

Arcane
Bethesda would disagree with you on the bit about diminishing returns using the same creaky engine game after game. Only reason FO4 didn't do as well as Skyrim is they changed too much on an already secondary IP for them.
The Call of Duty series play with pretty much exactly the same mechanics every year, yet still sells like hotcakes. Same for FIFA, Battlefield, GTA and lots of other series, from Total War to indie stuff like Dominions. Heck, is there a single commercially successful series that *doesn't* do the same thing every (other) year?

aratuk

Cipher
Secret projects always feel like circle jerks to me. Once you have your project funded, internally or through a publisher, just announce it. Keeping it a "secret" always feels like some middle school bullshit.

It's the publisher's call whether and when to announce it. Obsidz would be contractually bound keep the cat in the bag.

On the one hand, it seems silly not to simply acknowledge what grown adults are working on, but… you want to release the product at the peak of its media hype lifecycle, although it's hard to predict when that will occur. The unveiling of a secret equals a ton of free marketing, so it makes sense the publisher would want to control when that marketing occurs.
And on the other hand it is silly not to acknowledge *something* because a company like Obsidian is being watched by fanbois closely enough that the fanbois will deduce there is something going on. Those people who aren't getting laid off must be working on something. What's he building in there? Plus, Feargus doesn't require too much prodding. He appears to be containing himself to his maximum ability.

They are silly people no matter what they do.

Black

Arcane
and an unannounced title with a major publisher
kuRXSBe.jpg
Are they fucking?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
  1. In what direction should Tyranny proceed with story and gameplay?
  2. Should DLC be continuation of the story or intermission (before the end) ?
  3. Should Kyros's presence be materialized ?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't know how it is for all of you Second Worlders but in the First World there is little motivation to be secretly homosexual anymore.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AFAIK Obsidian is in USA, not any first world country.

3008938-thumb-300xauto-2611241.jpg

Arcanum 2 pls. NOT a remake. A new story in the same universe.
A lot of the story of Arcanum is uncovering the story of the world, finding out what really happened to make the world as it is. My favorite part is exploring Vendigroth, since that's when the final piece in the "what's going on in this world" clicks. But by the end, you've solved that mystery, visited every major place, and talked to every significant person in Arcanum. When I beat it, I didn't feel like there was more I needed to know about the world, and that makes constructing a meaningful sequel challenging.

Eh, you could do an Elder Scrolls thing where it focuses in on one province or area in greater detail. Wouldn't mind a main quest that focuses on civil war in Caladon over competing traditionalist and modern forces.

Don't know why we keep revisiting this idea though, Activision is parked squarely on those rights until the end of time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom