Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #79: Graphics and Rendering (and E3)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I hope I'm being an oblivious idiot like usually.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everything is shit, as the saying goes. But Fable is pretty good IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Dr Schultz

Augur
PROTIP: When Roguey starts defining things as "not gameplay", it's time to unilaterally terminate the argument.

(Josh Sawyer would probably be horrified by this dismissal of important gameplay elements, btw. For the ultimate shiv, try emailing him and asking if dialogue, roleplaying and exploration are gameplay.)

And he probably would be even more horrified by the whole Rogey's idolatry thing :D.

BTW, I can't brofist. Maybe something in browser (Chrome)?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(Josh Sawyer would probably be horrified by this dismissal of important gameplay elements, btw. For the ultimate shiv, try emailing him and asking if dialogue, roleplaying and exploration are gameplay.)
I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't. If it did, he wouldn't go on about how RPGs neglect core gameplay in favor of narrative. Role playing and exploring are enjoyable things to do in games when they exist, but they're not gameplay. Gameplay requires a test of your abilities, even if it's an easy test. Exploration (or dialogue) can only be a gameplay element if there's some puzzle-like aspect involved (in which case it's a puzzle).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Exploration of a map in an RPG is gameplay, just as exploration of a map in an RTS (among other genres) is gameplay.

In an RTS you might be exploring a map looking for resources or scouting, or moving to a revealed location through the fog of war. In an RPG you might be exploring the map for ... oh the same reasons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The gameplay is the combat you experience while exploring or using the resources you've picked up in combat. :M

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The gameplay is the combat you experience while exploring or using the resources you've picked up in combat. :M

In your own dream world it is.

Age of Decadence says you're wrong, and so do plenty of other games (particularly non-RPG) where combat exists but is not the only gameplay element in the game such as the Civilization series or Crusader Kings II.

I like lots of combat in games, but it is not the only gameplay element in a game, and RPGs can (but usually aren't) do without it.

Non-gameplay is where the player's control is taken away from them, such as cutscenes. Everything else is gameplay.

Combat may be the "core" gameplay of most RPGs, but it, along with "puzzles" are not the only gameplay elements.

I have played games where exploration and movement in the game world has been enjoyable, but most RPGs either go for an all-combat focus or an all-cinematic focus these days as that's generally the cheapest way of doing things. Oh look - cargo cult design +M

Expeditions: Conquistador last year had non-combat gameplay in simply moving through the game world, it included resource management, decision making, context-sensitive elements and scripted (& random) interactions and dialogues.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Gameplay requires a test of your abilities, even if it's an easy test. Exploration (or dialogue) can only be a gameplay element if there's some puzzle-like aspect involved (in which case it's a puzzle).

Which is exactly what a carefully designed game world such STALKER's (or Gothic's, or Ultima's, or Divinity's), with its secrets, obstacles, inherent threats and not obvious paths, does well. This is also what the flat and boring design of Bethesda game worlds (and by extension of New Vegas), paired with their shitty GPS-like quest markers, prevents. But, of course, until Josh points this obvious truth out, it is not an obvious truth :asd:...

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't. If it did, he wouldn't go on about how RPGs neglect core gameplay in favor of narrative. Role playing and exploring are enjoyable things to do in games when they exist, but they're not gameplay. Gameplay requires a test of your abilities, even if it's an easy test. Exploration (or dialogue) can only be a gameplay element if there's some puzzle-like aspect involved (in which case it's a puzzle).

Grunker
Remember when i said once that i put writing above gameplay, as long as the gameplay isn't abysmal? This is what i meant ...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Grunker
Remember when i said once that i put writing above gameplay, as long as the gameplay isn't abysmal? This is what i meant ...

I'm not sure what your point is. That because of Roguey's misunderstood fundamentalist formalism (which isn't shared by Sawyer, mind), any viewpoint emphasizing the importance of traditional gameplay must be wrong?

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane

Doesn't he also go on about how exploration is one of the major themes of PE, and have been on record many times saying that he wanted to put secondary ways to succeed at most quests that don't involve combat in order to, shall we say, accept different types of gameplay?

Hence the whole "you don't get XP by killing people, but by succeeding at quests or exploring remote places".

Rake

Arcane

Grunker

I'm not sure what your point is. That because of Roguey's fundamentalist formalism (which isn't shared by Sawyer, mind), any viewpoint emphasizing the importance of gameplay must be wrong?
No point really. Never said that either viewpoint is wrong(not even Roguey's, i disagree with her but i can see where she comes from), or that mine is the correct one. In fact i believe that gameplay is the most importand element for most people, IF we include in it every way that the player interacts with the game, not just combat or tests of his ability. If we go by Roguey's definition (and i know others believe so as well) not so much.
Yourself has said that half the Codex doesn't give a shit about core gameplay. What that "core gameplay", that Codex doesn't care about, is? Because unless i got that wrong, your definition can't be that far away from Roguey's.
And that's the main reason i called you. Because i believe you agree with Roguey at some degree, but you will express it in a less trollish manner. I'm not stupid enough to go to an arguement with her...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom