Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know I already said this, but I found the Devil a poor attempt at being witty/edgy companion. That being said, she has one of the best ending slides of any companion.

She wanders into the wilderness and journeys alone until her artificial body rusts and falls apart. It gets to the point that she can barely move, and her last moment is pushing herself into the ocean. She finds a measure of peace in the sensation of the waves/current as she sinks.

Does anyone know if her ending slides change based on the outcome of her quest? That's the one I also got, after
allowing her to kill the woodcutters.
It does. Here's the other ending:

lUtuA6Q.gif
VlJPlDx.gif

On Zahua, I would say you'd get a different ending slide based on

what you tell him to do in regards to the Tacan legacy. I told him to keep it alive through him and got one where he returned and made a new group to ensure their teachings continued. I know I could have told him that, because they're gone, he can move on and live his own life now. I imagine that would get a different ending, though I've not actually tried it. Also, I did take him through to the end prior to TWM2 release, and that got a different ending. I assume that's still in as the "never complete quest" ending.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
I know I already said this, but I found the Devil a poor attempt at being witty/edgy companion. That being said, she has one of the best ending slides of any companion.

She wanders into the wilderness and journeys alone until her artificial body rusts and falls apart. It gets to the point that she can barely move, and her last moment is pushing herself into the ocean. She finds a measure of peace in the sensation of the waves/current as she sinks.

Does anyone know if her ending slides change based on the outcome of her quest? That's the one I also got, after
allowing her to kill the woodcutters.
It does. Here's the other ending:

lUtuA6Q.gif
VlJPlDx.gif

Much obliged.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So, the same people who did encounter design in the base game. They just did it better.

Bobby Null was the lead area designer and one of the persons Josh specifically mentioned as someone actually capable of completing the base game on Hard (whereas most of the other designers can/could not).

I dunno which areas he designed in the base game (if he made any "sole" contributions at all), he didn't contribute anything to the 83 commentary tracks. Ryan Torres was responsible for Od Nua levels 2-9 though.

Oh wait, he co-designed Raedric's Hold with Jorge Salgado https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/7...e-a-look-at-raedrics-hold/page-3#entry1579169 Bunch of people liked that.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Give that Bobby Null the usual obsidian treatment for capable designers. Put him in the closet until he quit out of boredom and hire a shitty one to replace him.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Give that Bobby Null the usual obsidian treatment for capable designers. Put him in the closet until he quit out of boredom and hire a shitty one to replace him.
Not before you cut all his content.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/139981362166/something-i-think-there-where-theres-room-for#notes

leinadiwar asked: Something I think there where there's room for improvement in terms of PoE is some sort of crime system that somehow responds to the player killing people in towns or otherwise behaving badly. Is this something that was discussed for PoE or could maybe be a possibility for PoE2?

We discussed it, but there wasn’t really time to develop anything robust. It’s certainly something we’d like to do if we had the resources to focus on it.

Fairfax

Arcane
The fact combat has changed so much since release is a perfectly valid complaint, though. PoE had its own NGE after 2.0.

Sizzle

Arcane
FFS!!!! Installed 3.01 patch and now saved games are fucked!!! And no HOTFIX did not help! Come on Obsidian, pull your shit together :rage:

There's a hotfix on GOG, and they get their patches a bit after Steam, so I'm guessing there should be one on there as well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The potatoes must not know how to deal with Unity because I've seen so many severe complaints about GOG's patches. :M

Yeah GoGs patch process for 3.0 failed to patch my game and locked me out of WM pt 1; totally fucked up my game. I ended up having to download the 3.0 installers for the base game and both WM parts and do a full reinstall in order to get it working properly. Not the biggest problem, but I'm glad I live in 'Murica and don't have to deal with thirldworld bandwidth limits or I would be pissed.

Last edited:

Zetor

Arcane
I love how some people are now complaining that combat is "mechanical and repetitive" and "not like BG and PST" because tank n' spank doesn't work: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84648-keeping-enemies-engaged/
Hmmm, doesn't really match my experience on POTD. 90+% of the fights consist of me sending in the tank first (everyone else in stealth), pop the +20 defense skill, and unstealth the rest after a ~3-second delay; those enemies will stay glued to the tank until the end of the encounter no matter what*. Sure, enemies beyond the engagement limit may try to go for my other people, but that's where my tanky chanter bodyblocks them... fighting in a chokepoint is best, obv. If there are even MORE enemies, they may attack my plate-clad pistol-using paladin as well, but in that case they're probably weak enough that my cipher's death beam + monk's AOE kick will gib them in a few turns. The only other character who gets attacked a lot is my monk, but that's expected. Only issue is when I have to move in my casters from max attack range to use certain spells (they're wearing light armor), but then I can be proactive about hitting the guy running for them with a charm / paralyze from my cipher.

There are also enemies that completely ignore engagement, but they have been around since v1.00. They also tend to be melee-only and slow (trolls), which makes kiting them with the "everyone drops a frost trail" chant easy.

* I know this because I have Overbearing Guard on my tank (knocks down anyone who tries to move away) and I haven't seen it trigger even once.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Zetor

Arcane
I love how some people are now complaining that combat is "mechanical and repetitive" and "not like BG and PST" because tank n' spank doesn't work: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84648-keeping-enemies-engaged/
Hmmm, doesn't really match my experience on POTD.

I go with heavy armor on most of my characters

Might have something to do with that. :P
Well yea, though the cipher and druid are wearing leather and padded armor and still only get attacked if they get too close to the melee (with very few exceptions), even enemy ranged units are content shooting at the tank instead of moving up a bit and hitting my mid/backlines. Maybe the AI doesn't like to overextend?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm currently having some trouble, as in my party getting beaten three times in a row, when I get back to the temple in stallwart for that quest there (I don't want to spoil it).

My party composition is somewhat funny - I had to replace Aloth with something, so I got Grieving Mother, and I also took Maneha to try out a barbarian, a class I'm very skeptical of. I had to send aloth on a stronghold related mission. I don't know why but he was the only one that I had the option ("option") to send.

The reason I thought to tell you this is the discussion above. Unlike most encounters, this enemy group tries to go for GM and Durance immediately, with its front-liners, while the back line is casting crowd control spells.

So any advice for that encounter on PotD for a 8-lvl party composed of Human Paladin, Eder, Durance, Pallegina, Maneha, Grieving Mother, is welcome.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
So any advice for that encounter on PotD for a 8-lvl party composed of Human Paladin, Eder, Durance, Pallegina, Maneha, Grieving Mother, is welcome.

Is your strong and independent lesbo womyn equipped with the firebrand aka forgemaster's gloves? Under even the minimal buffs, that should be more than enough to overcome most of the opposition no matter what.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Is your strong and independent lesbo womyn equipped with the firebrand aka forgemaster's gloves? Under even the minimal buffs, that should be more than enough to overcome most of the opposition no matter what.
I try to maintain equal gender representation, although one of them actually identifies as a bird. BTW - if Aloth was in, you'd count him as a male?

I don't think I have the gloves, but I'll check. I haven't attempted the battle using any buffs yet. From the way the battle goes on, I don't think a fireband spell will change much. I'll try buffing defenses with Durance and taking their casters out with just one character instead of three. Last time I sent three, and this left durance and GM unprotected. I ended up with three of my characters trying to hit two of theirs, but their deflection and DR was so high that they were able to regenerate faster than I was able to cause damage. One of the silliest expressions of Sawyer's combat system.

I love all of these critics bitching about having to play an RPG when they just want to "explore a world". I haven't played Betheda's latest offerings, do you fight like 1 fucking enemy every 10 hours or something
Gamespot gaymers expect to be compensated per enemy killed per hour with the game. Paradox can't match Beth's PR budget, and Obsidian refuse to cut down on trash encounters. Soo, it's got to be a 5 folks! Certain WM2 shortcomings inevitably came into view, sorry!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom