Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are a disgrace flip-flopper
It's not flip-flopping, it's changing my opinion based on new info rather than digging my heels in despite all evidence to the contrary. I realized Josh Sawyer isn't yhwh, he's Moses leading RPGs to a promised land he himself can never enter.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's not flip-flopping, it's changing my opinion based on new info rather than digging my heels in despite all evidence to the contrary. I realized Josh Sawyer isn't yhwh, he's Moses leading RPGs to a promised land he himself can never enter.
Your hyperbole is to my sensibilities as grognardism is to your belief structure.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Nah, Moses could be someone else.

I see Josh Sawyer more as Joshua, leading Obsy armies to the promised land and, with the sound of trumpets and horns of Incline, felling the wall of the Citadel of Decline. The law of ḥērem means taking no prisoners nor plunder.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
ANd yet, on something aweful, people think Roguey slurps Pillars cock.

Current prediction is that it'll turn itself around like D:OS but it won't be as significant a turnaround because Obsidian's designers aren't as good at playing games as Larian's team.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Besides the autistic need to make small number changes that mean shit-all, has Joshua the Incliner perhaps mentioned dialling back on the copy-pasted trash mobs and dare I say it - implement some actual encounter design ?

Well, at least according to Infinitron, we will have decent itemisation by the time PoE 4 hits the shelves. Rejoice! :happytrollboy:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You'll have to play (or watch someone else play) The White March to find out.

He did say the improved AI will make the encounters that already exist in base game better.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Full confession: I'd probably hold PoE in higher regard if it weren't for Josh's dickhead statements. I don't even mean the whole "It's the next Baldur's Ga... Planescape Torme... Baldur's Torment!" stuff, I just mean the bits where he wanks on about how every RPG except his is shit. If you're going to rant about how RPGs are held back by having awful mechanics, then you'd better make damn sure that your RPG has got really frigging awesome mechanics.

PoE is the genre's Icarus. A solid game in its own right but it ended up over-promising and underdelivering to such a huge extent that it's hard to feel satisfied by it. I'd compare it to Fable but PoE isn't that bad.

In any case, I'm waiting for the day when someone manages to make SCS for Pillars.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When it's all said and done, someone will have to ask him if he personally thinks Pillars of Eternity has good core gameplay (as opposed to the majority of the audience because they obviously do). :M

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Full confession: I'd probably hold PoE in higher regard if it weren't for Josh's dickhead statements. I don't even mean the whole "It's the next Baldur's Ga... Planescape Torme... Baldur's Torment!" stuff, I just mean the bits where he wanks on about how every RPG except his is shit. If you're going to rant about how RPGs are held back by having awful mechanics, then you'd better make damn sure that your RPG has got really frigging awesome mechanics.

PoE is the genre's Icarus. A solid game in its own right but it ended up over-promising and underdelivering to such a huge extent that it's hard to feel satisfied by it. I'd compare it to Fable but PoE isn't that bad.

In any case, I'm waiting for the day when someone manages to make SCS for Pillars.

Not a bad post, sir

PS: fuck Roguey for getting in the way

Nuclear Explosion

I don't think JES ever implied that the RPGs he worked are the only good RPGs (IRCC he considers AP a bad game). Anyway, his criticism of other RPGs doesn't necessarily mean he thinks that they are bad games or that his are the only good ones; he's just pointing out flaws in them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Andre

Arcane
No, it was like Shakespeare promising me a spiritual sequel to Richard The Third and then delivering Hamlet instead. Muh jimmies will never be un-rustled.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125279970376/so-what-turned-the-tide-in-favor-of-implementing

melnorme asked: So, what turned the tide in favor of implementing damage immunities in PoE? Will PCs and NPCs be able to acquire them with items/spells/etc or is it just for monsters?

Time and the increase of the damage output curve at higher levels. Currently damage immunity is an armor property on certain creatures only. If it becomes a status effect in the future, it could be put on player spells, items, abilities, etc.

Delterius

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, so they are using immunities to keep damage/HP inflation in check. Well, considering that the White March is a TotSCy expansion, I wonder if they'll end up using damage immunities at lower levels as well, to create variety. Considering how versatile spellcasters are in PoE, even 'hard counters' shouldn't be a real problem for class balance.

He said they'd be changing existing monsters in the previous Tumblr post I linked you to: http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125232883136/hi-josh-im-greatly-enjoying-pillars-of-eternity

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh, so they are using immunities to keep damage/HP inflation in check. Well, considering that the White March is a TotSCy expansion, I wonder if they'll end up using damage immunities at lower levels as well, to create variety. Considering how versatile spellcasters are in PoE, even 'hard counters' shouldn't be a real problem for class balance.
It is not about problem of class balance but how the game does not give you a reason to stop using one tactic to rule them all. I never felt the need to use different spells with wizards or clerics. I barely needed to use spells that were not encounter only at high levels. When I did use another spell I just wanted to try it and went back to the one that is effective in all encounters.

Immunities forces players to mix it up. I remember when Diablo 2 LoD introduced element immunities (and synergies), it made the character creation so much better. You now had to find builds that would give you two main elements and one secondary, it was a different (better) game.

Delterius

Arcane
It is not about problem of class balance but how the game does not give you a reason to stop using one tactic to rule them all.

I know. What I said is that, say, running into an enemy mage with save or die spells isn't such a big problem considering that Priests, Wizards and Druids all have access to their full spellbooks at a time. They wouldn't need to rest in order to gain Protection from Death spells. So if damage immunities are in, then 'hard counters' won't be such a wreck to class balance. Especially since spells like Prayer against Affliction and Arcane Dampener are already avaiable from items.
He said they'd be changing existing monsters in the previous Tumblr post I linked you to: http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/125232883136/hi-josh-im-greatly-enjoying-pillars-of-eternity
Question is, do you see this as a concession from the original 'do whatever you want =D' plan? Depending on just what those damage immunities are, whole classes may feel less than useful in some battles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom