Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any mods that increase party size for this one?

Nas92

Augur
I recently started playing this game and I have a couple of questions.

1. I noticed after a couple of difficult fights where my character got knocked out that her maximum health and endurance has been permanently decreased. I wouldn't have noticed it had I not specifically remembered that her max endurance was higher at some point. Can my char's health be restored to earlier levels?

2. Any strategies for fighting shades and the like? Even smaller groups are an issue for me and now I'm trying to do the Lighthouse quest and there's a million of them. They kill my casters, constantly teleport around, they multiply. Nothing seems to be working. Seriously, wtf is up with this

chuft

Augur
I recently started playing this game and I have a couple of questions.

1. I noticed after a couple of difficult fights where my character got knocked out that her maximum health and endurance has been permanently decreased. I wouldn't have noticed it had I not specifically remembered that her max endurance was higher at some point. Can my char's health be restored to earlier levels?

You probably have “injuries” from being knocked out. Look/hover around on your portrait, character sheet etc for things like “gaping wound.” You can get rid of them by resting. There is also an option to disable injuries on knockout in the game preferences.

2. Any strategies for fighting shades and the like? Even smaller groups are an issue for me and now I'm trying to do the Lighthouse quest and there's a million of them. They kill my casters, constantly teleport around, they multiply. Nothing seems to be working. Seriously, wtf is up with this

The cheese strategy is to know they’re coming from previous losses and to place the whole party around the entrance with their backs to the wall and send Eder forward alone to wake up the poltergeist.

The better solution is to talk to the captain in the bar who is responsible for this poltergeist and peacefully remove it.

Terrible encounter.

Nas92

Augur

You probably have “injuries” from being knocked out. Look/hover around on your portrait, character sheet etc for things like “gaping wound.” You can get rid of them by resting. There is also an option to disable injuries on knockout in the game preferences.
I tried that and it didn't work. My character has 98 max endurance whereas beforehand - I have a save before every quest or difficult segment so I was able to check - she had 108. I just noticed that her max health also decreased.

The cheese strategy is to know they’re coming from previous losses and to place the whole party around the entrance with their backs to the wall and send Eder forward alone to wake up the poltergeist.
I'll try that, thanks.

Another thing: I was thinking that because I still have an open slot in my party I could get an adventurer from an inn to help me with that encounter. Any advice on what kind of character would be effective against shades? I was thinking Barbarian because they can fight against multiple enemies more effectively, but now I'm thinking maybe another Chanter to complement Kana Rua.

chuft

Augur
Maybe you had a piece of equipment on before that raised an attribute that modifies Endurance and now you are no longer wearing it for some reason? A quest item that disappeared during a quest dialog?

Nas92

Augur
Maybe you had a piece of equipment on before that raised an attribute that modifies Endurance and now you are no longer wearing it for some reason? A quest item that disappeared during a quest dialog?
You're right, it was an item that I myself unequipped that gave me +2 Con.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Any advice on what kind of character would be effective against shades? I was thinking Barbarian because they can fight against multiple enemies more effectively, but now I'm thinking maybe another Chanter to complement Kana Rua.
Combusting wounds plus any kind of DoT effect (Chill Fog is probably the easiest to get early and apply to all enemies, but I can't remember PoE 1 specifics after PoE 2) are your friends.

Prime Junta

Another thing: I was thinking that because I still have an open slot in my party I could get an adventurer from an inn to help me with that encounter. Any advice on what kind of character would be effective against shades? I was thinking Barbarian because they can fight against multiple enemies more effectively, but now I'm thinking maybe another Chanter to complement Kana Rua.

Bulwark against the Elements (spell or potion) + any attack that targets Fortitude or Will.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah getting good Cold armor makes them do chip damage. So pay attention to items/spells that can increase your Cold AR.

Nas92

Augur
I got a bad guest in my stronghold. What happens if I don't solve their problem and instead just ignore them? Do I get a prestige penalty?

shidder

Novice
Starting this up from the beginning after quitting around Act 3 a couple years ago. Was a Wizard, but wasn't a huge fan of him, so I'll be going Cipher this time. I heard pistols suck but they look cool so probably using them.

chuft

Augur
If you like pistols because they look cool, use them in POE2. It has a 17th century pirate/nautical theme.

For a cipher I’d use a bow.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Starting this up from the beginning after quitting around Act 3 a couple years ago. Was a Wizard, but wasn't a huge fan of him, so I'll be going Cipher this time. I heard pistols suck but they look cool so probably using them.

You're wrong!

I'm using a unique pistol embedded with frost-dmg for my cipher (the one you get from the warehouse-owner, were you meet Palagina).
It's slow, but dishes out tons of damage.
You can even find a decent pistol in the starting area (hidden in the wagon). It sucks at first, but just need to tinker with it to remove the 'crude' status.

Here is a guide on how to do ranged cipher-builds.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nas92

Augur
Is the White March worth doing? I'm nearing the end of the game, I decided to finish up the Caed Nua related stuff, but honestly it's beginning to get a little boring. At this stage I really can't imagine fucking around in mostly boring dungeons filled with annoying trash mobs.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I finished the game without White March and have to constantly debate loading my old save and doing it or... not. I haven't played PoE2 yet, so it probably makes more sense to move on at this point. I barely remember anything about PoE's very generic world and story.

Prime Junta

I finished the game without White March and have to constantly debate loading my old save and doing it or... not. I haven't played PoE2 yet, so it probably makes more sense to move on at this point. I barely remember anything about PoE's very generic world and story.

I enjoyed White March a lot more than Deadfire.

chuft

Augur
White March I made me ragequit the game. Never got to II.

Enjoying Deadfire a lot more.

WM seems suited to those who like high/unfair difficulty and who like to minimax and powergame. I don’t like the game system enough to do that kind of spreadsheeting.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
White March I made me ragequit the game. Never got to II.

Enjoying Deadfire a lot more.

WM seems suited to those who like high/unfair difficulty and who like to minimax and powergame. I don’t like the game system enough to do that kind of spreadsheeting.
There's a chance you started WM too early. If you do the Temple of Woedica as soon as you arrive at Defiance Bay, you can get the prompt to start the DLC at level 4-5, which is not advisable. WM has better atmosphere and story and encounter design than the rest of the game.

Prime Junta

If you hit it around level 7-8 it's not unfairly difficult, and you can certainly beat it without minmaxing.

You do need to know what you're doing though, just select-all and attack won't cut it. You will need to use your abilities intelligently, look for synergies, and what have you.

chuft

Augur
Started it after Act II.

It’s for the kind of people who
liked the banshee encounter in the tower in DB.

Nas92

Augur

If you hit it around level 7-8 it's not unfairly difficult, and you can certainly beat it without minmaxing.

You do need to know what you're doing though, just select-all and attack won't cut it. You will need to use your abilities intelligently, look for synergies, and what have you.
This is another worry of mine. Right now my party is lvl 10-11 and I'm already basically cutting through everything like hot knife through butter. I've heard that the White March gives you the possibility to scale up the enemies, but to what extend does it make the encounters more difficult?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom