Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Man is this game an RPG or an interactive lore book?

you've really read zero things on the codex about this game haven't you

Well, reading is teh hard after all.

But yeah, i didn't follow anything about that whatsoever. When i got the hint the game didn't live up to what it was supposed to be i got so mad i ignored it for all this time. And mostly what pissed me off is that they had EVERYTHING going for them. With their previous games, there was always the exscuse that they were running a business and didn't want Obsidian to end up like Black Isle did. I accepted that exscuse when i first played NWN2 for instance, all the more because Mask of the Betrayer subsequently demonstrated they "still" had it. It was always my view that the OC of that game was made to be generic on purpose, on the misguided assumption that's what they had to do to secure sales. All the Obsidian games were "flawed" in some way but there were still enough of the old Black Isle in most of them. KOTOR 2, Mask of the Betreayer, New Vegas. they all had things that showed the spirit of Black Isle was still in there somewhere.

Then Pillars was announced and it was like, ok, NOW they finally have the chance to give it all they got. Nothing to hold them back now... and they fucked it up somehow. That shit just made all the good will i kept for Obsidian through the years evaporate.

I'm in a better position to judge the game since all that is in the past now, so i'm not even bothering making comparisons with Torment or the original Fallout or what have you. I'm trying to approach the game without thinking of that pedegree hanging over it and see how it goes. I can't just replay the old shit for the rest of eternity after all.

I really, really like the game in its final state (patching and especially expansion really saved this one). But it's despite the extremely underwhelming story and the horrible writing. They fix that for the expansion as well, it's a fun adventure.

And the wikipedia-writing is probably the one thing agreed on by almost every codexer who has played the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
code mauve: lyric suit found the inuit matriarchal tribals

I have no idea what they are talking about, it's right in the description in the character creation screen.
so you're telling me

that it wasn't the fantasy dwarf matriarchal tribe that triggered you

its the little blurb of 'men and women can fill any social position in eora'

that's it?

that's what triggered such a horrible mental breakdown you could do nothing but rage-quit the game?

jesus fucking christ

Ho so it's just the fantasy Dwarves.

I though they meant that was how it was everywhere lmao.

Poor manlets they get no respect as usual.

Delterius

Arcane

I have no idea what they are talking about, it's right in the description in the character creation screen.
so you're telling me

that's it?

that's what triggered such a horrible mental breakdown you could do nothing but rage-quit the game?

jesus fucking christ

no, it's everyone. every place has men and women doing whatever and there's no woedica taliban anywhere. but there's one tribal culture where the women serve as hunters and bounty seekers while the men stay home caring for the tribe. one of theirs is one of the better characters in the game. they aren't all 'the dwarves' either. there's no universal human, dwarf or elf culture in pillars. there's nations and civilizations.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

so you're telling me

that's it?

jesus fucking christ

no, it's everyone. every place has men and women doing whatever and there's no woedica taliban anywhere. but there's one tribal culture where the women serve as hunters and bounty seekers while the men stay home caring for the tribe. one of theirs is one of the better characters in the game. they aren't all 'the dwarves' either. there's no universal human, dwarf or elf culture in pillars. there's nations and civilizations.

The implication they are making is that men and women are totally the same and they bring up an example of a culture where their roles are reversed to demonstrate their point.

BTW, the fact all the Vailia people are Africans when the culture is obviously inspired by Renaissance Italy is cultural appropriation. This is an outrage.

Ninjerk

Arcane

so you're telling me

that's it?

jesus fucking christ

The implication they are making is that men and women are totally the same and they bring up an example of a culture where their roles are reversed to demonstrate their point.

BTW, the fact all the Vailia people are Africans when the culture is obviously inspired by Renaissance Italy is cultural appropriation. This is an outrage.
africans
italians

Corporate needs you to find the differences

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Vailian people being black is indeed pretty gross.

Also - black humans make up 55% of the Vailian Republics. There's no country where white humans are more than 40% of the population. :smug:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not to mention there's like two white skin tones and the rest are dark brown to black. Also all the humans are fat for some reason.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Vailian people being black is indeed pretty gross.

Also - black humans make up 55% of the Vailian Republics. There's no country where white humans are more than 40% of the population. :smug:
Not even in Africa? That was an interesting fact.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Not to mention there's like two white skin tones and the rest are dark brown to black. Also all the humans are fat for some reason.
The game was made in southern California. Half the population there is fat non-Whites.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I recommend not talking to Maneha at all. She doesn't force a conversation with you so it's easy to avoid her.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I recommend not talking to Maneha at all. She doesn't force a conversation with you so it's easy to avoid her.
What's wrong with Maneha? I had her in my party the first time I played WM2 and I can't remember anything bad about her. On the contrary, I remember enjoying her insight on the cult of Ondra (but it might be a manufactured memory).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What's wrong with Maneha? I had her in my party the first time I played WM2 and I can't remember anything bad about her. On the contrary, I remember enjoying her insight on the cult of Ondra (but it might be a manufactured memory).
Like most PoE companions she exists to dole out setting lore and little else.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I am convinced if modern day Codex played Fallout or Planescape for the first time they would say the writing was shit, and not give a decent alternative besides a large leather bound book, before throwing a tabletop board game at your face.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I recommend not talking to most of the cast. My Skaen Priest save file has me go through the initial cave in PoE2 solo ;d But Maneha does have some Americanisms and I'd say she's the worst of the bunch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
also Éder has a fucking southern accent, how is it that Maneha's is that one that piques your ears?

Pillars takes place in Fantasy America so that's fine.

What's wrong with Maneha?

From what I've read of her dialogue, she sounds far too modern. A sign of slipping quality standards to come given that this is far more pervasive in Deadfire. Sawyer stopped giving a damn.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Obviously they recruited a lot of hicks locally to do the VA for PoE 1 and 2. Not nearly as bad as that horrible grating bitch in D:OS.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I am convinced if modern day Codex played Fallout or Planescape for the first time they would say the writing was shit, and not give a decent alternative besides a large leather bound book, before throwing a tabletop board game at your face.

Well, where's the lie.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Well, where's the lie.

Because you judge based upon the genre/medium so when someone says Fallout has good writing they mean FOR A VIDEO GAME.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

she's blue, my guy
or I guess teal

also Éder has a fucking southern accent, how is it that Maneha's is that one that piques your ears?
I can agree on teal, but I wouldn't classify her as blue. I guess I'm used to southern the same way I'm used to dwarves' scottish accent in most rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom