Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasn't it a foregone conclusion that White March would have an unremarkable narrative?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or, you're just using this as an excuse to not play pillars at all, because doing so would be too painful on your pride - showing how wrong you were in reguards to Josh Sawyer for instance. At this point it's at 2.0 - you can start playing now, you dont need to wait longer, if you wait any longer, divinity original sin 2 will have launched and then the whole pillars franchise will be in a grave somewhere because nobody will care at all, unless obsidian magically figures out how to make an IE game, which I doubt.

No I can't because patch 2.0 isn't available for DRM-free versions. Additionally, I wouldn't want it because they're releasing another patch next week (fixing, among other things, the blurry text bug) and the one after that will contain cross-class talent rebalancing.

I'm also still playing Wasteland 2. When I finish, I might play Pillars. Larian patched original D:OS for seven months, inXile patched original Wasteland 2 for five, so if I play it in the near-future, it should be at a comparable level of polish.

btbgfel

Scholar
Found a bug.
Transcendent Suffering becomes more powerful as monk levels up, but won't reset when you respec the monk. If you keep respeccing for a while, your monk could oneshot everything.

Fairfax

Arcane
Another interesting bug:

Had another gamebreaking bug today

Lay on hands increased every time i got hit. It was above 2000 after a while, big jumps.

Ive had so many gamebreaking bugs in this game since release.

My patience is, after almost half a year, at an end.

Obsidian just cant do it. They are like a renovator that never finishes his ideas but just starts on the next cool idea.

I will never buy another obsidian title (except maybe if they get to do another fallout)

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I think any per rest/encounter ability on random procing weapons stuff is totally ridiculous. The whole point of per/rest/encounter is to be able to strategize use of resources.... which is totally pointless when it's a random proc.

It's even more absurd that another soulbound weapon of mine has the same procing stuff (lol) but at least with no per rest limitation.

Fairfax

Arcane
What does it do?

At least it seems nothing is breaking on save/load anymore.
Well, that happened here. Apparently I ruined my save by quicksaving after talking to Maerwald, and my main quest is bugged until the IEMod is updated.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
What does it do?

676432bs2.jpg

:lol:
This one doesn't require farming at least, it although isn't restricted to any class.
It appears that the pattern of these incredible game-changing weapons is that they proc random shit on hit.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A melee weapon that casts Twin Stones on hit sounds highly suicidal.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Finished it. Well, its more PoE. The graphics and environments look significantly improved, I guess they learned the technology better by now. Story is fairly straightforward, which was actually refreshing after how main campaign didn't even have a plot hook for first 30 hours. No major bugs, apart from path-finding occasionally sucking dick. Party-AI script are very crude, but make the game somewhat easier for everyone who, like me, vomits at the very thought of RTwP.

Biggest change is definitely new enemy AI. The mobs actually use their abilities instead of just mindlessly whacking at you, you need to work around hard immunites, and they have some new tricks that made it harder to just turtle with Eder and Pala leading the frontline. Overall the game got a lot harder.

My biggest remaining gripe would be progression. New levels add square root of fuck all. I think scaling the base stats made bigger difference than any new talents that I was offered. Itemization is also just as bad as it was. Soulbound weapons are absolutely idiotic. I don't know who the fuck thought it'd be great idea to make weapons that require farming trash mobs , when most of us have already beaten the main campaign and don't have anything to fucking farm.

Overall its a decent addition to already great game, but it was definitely half-assed in some aspects

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck you for making me google wtf is shale from dragon age

Apparently, it's The Thing

3787403-tumblr_m79hg6wqcu1r23q2bo1_500.jpg

Shale is a Dwarven female turned into the Thing to be precise....yes I played it and own it. :M

morrowind, dragon age, and skyrim expansions are already 10x better than this, which they should have no right to be.

Why? Those had multi millionz and much larger teams to churn out the expansions, so why would they have no right to be better than this?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, Obsidian released an expansion with all-new content within five months. Meanwhile inXile and Larian are taking over a year to release enhanced editions.

(Consoles, man...)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Would they have done so if Paradox didn't ask them to suit the corporate policy regarding dlcs ?
It's quite bewildering to witness that, even when it comes to extending the base game, they're trying to go both directions at a time. Kind of echoes the whole game design in some sort of sick mise en abime. Gotta deliver that promised expansion pack while catering to the corporate policy, mission complete. It even has the cute little icons on the title screen like EU4 and CK2 :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think they would have. I don't know where people got the idea that the expansion's release schedule was "Paradox-mandated". One interview mentioned they were following marketing research, but that's it. It's common knowledge that could have been related to Feargus by...pretty much anybody he knows in the gaming industry.

Anyway, it's also being loyal to IE roots since Tales of the Sword Coast took the same amount of time to release. :smug:

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Their whole communication back then about the xpac was, precisely, that they weren't gonna follow the DLC road and were rather gonna deliver the "actually legit good ol' xpac from your young days folks".
Turns out they're releasing paradox-style dlcs, on a paradox-style rythm, and tried to damage control the 360° turn by calling them part 1 and part 2. Dude they even applied the paradox-style little signets on the title screen, does that come from marketing research too ? Come the fuck on.

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Paradox. It's just obvious this is not Obsidian's decision to go for that two parts model but rather a little magic trick to make everybody satisfied. Which as I said sums up the whole design of POE to begin with.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Their whole communication back then about the xpac was, precisely, that they weren't gonna follow the DLC road and were rather gonna deliver the "actually legit good ol' xpac from your young days folks".
Turns out they're releasing paradox-style dlcs, on a paradox-style rythm, and tried to damage control the 360° turn by calling them part 1 and part 2. Dude they even applied the paradox-style little signets on the title screen, does that come from marketing research too ? Come the fuck on.

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Paradox. It's just obvious this is not Obsidian's decision to go for that two parts model but rather a little magic trick to make everybody satisfied. Which as I said sums up the whole design of POE to begin with.
Well if a "Paradox-style rhythm" means we get 20 more of these then that's good. :roll:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So when are people going to admit this is DLC, and not an expansion pack?

When we lose the ability to figure out the difference between the two, like you evidently did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom