Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Deleted member 7219

Holding off my playthrough until next week's patch. An Obsidian dev on the forums said they were looking into performance issues and long load times. I really hope these can be fixed because playing this game at 30 FPS and less will be terrible, especially as it ran at 60 on launch.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
... a little magic trick to make everybody satisfied. Which as I said sums up the whole design of POE to begin with.

You mean the 'trick' that got them an 89% Metacritic score? I think they are happy with it, just as I think CDPR supposedly 'selling out' have over 6 million reasons to think that not following Codex wishes actually worked out for them despite making a 'turd'. Funny that would Codex wishes actually be taken up by developers then we'd have no RPG's at all apart from a the odd one or 10 man effort released every 5+ years. Strange as it may seem, they are not running a charity for the 100 people that are on the Codex for the RPG's(the other thousands are here for GD) but want to make money.

About the only thing I'd want all game devs to do is make the games esily moddable so those that want to make them more hardcore, change rulesets, decrease hand holding etc. should be able to do so. That way everyone would be happy; the casual and the asperger freak.

sounds liek a grate gaem mebbe i shud buy it
Please do. Sawyer will spend your Zloty wisely...:smug:

I have beaten it twice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yeah but since like all Romanians you pirated it, the stats don't show on steam. ;)

You mean the 'trick' that got them an 89% Metacritic score? I think they are happy with it, just as I think CDPR supposedly 'selling out' have over 6 million reasons to think that not following Codex wishes actually worked out for them despite making a 'turd'. Funny that would Codex wishes actually be taken up by developers then we'd have no RPG's at all apart from a the odd one or 10 man effort released every 5+ years. Strange as it may seem, they are not running a charity for the 100 people that are on the Codex for the RPG's(the other thousands are here for GD) but want to make money.

About the only thing I'd want all game devs to do is make the games esily moddable so those that want to make them more hardcore, change rulesets, decrease hand holding etc. should be able to do so. That way everyone would be happy; the casual and the asperger freak.

Please do. Sawyer will spend your Zloty wisely...:smug:

Yeah but since like all Romanians you pirated it, the stats don't show on steam. ;)

What are you talking about? I bought it along with WM. Look up my achievements.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Weren't Obsidian games boring with MCA there? I don't recall too much love for DS3 or NWN2 OC or SoZ, and many of the others have as many detractors as adherents. It's all too easy on the Codex to blame 'evil' Feargus for chaining up the 'genius' of MCA, yet Avellone wasn't some shit kicking intern. He was one of the top guys there so if Obsidian's games were shitty or buggy or banal, that's as much a fault of Chris as anyone else, and even more so.

Deleted member 7219

Weren't Obsidian games boring with MCA there? I don't recall too much love for DS3 or NWN2 OC or SoZ, and many of the others have as many detractors as adherents. It's all too easy on the Codex to blame 'evil' Feargus for chaining up the 'genius' of MCA, yet Avellone wasn't some shit kicking intern. He was one of the top guys there so if Obsidian's games were shitty or buggy or banal, that's as much a fault of Chris as anyone else, and even more so.

DS3 had narrative merits. It just had a bigger focus on combat.

I agree about SoZ though. What the fuck were Obsidian doing following up MotB with that?

Also, Obsidian started work on both action MMOs while Avellone was still narrative director of the whole studio.

Nothing wrong with the narrative in PoE though.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You ever hear of an expansion sold in a season pass?

You ever heard what an expansion is? The content describes if its an expansion. Whie March Part 1 is a 20h worth of content with self-contained story. That means its an expansion. It doesn't fucking matter if they sell it of lemonade stand.

likaq

Arcane
You mean the 'trick' that got them an 94% Metacritic score? I think they are happy with it, just as I think Bethesda supposedly 'selling out' have over 20 million reasons to think that not following Codex wishes actually worked out for them despite making a 'turd'. Funny that would Codex wishes actually be taken up by developers then we'd have no RPG's at all apart from a the odd one or 10 man effort released every 5+ years. Strange as it may seem, they are not running a charity for the 100 people that are on the Codex for the RPG's(the other thousands are here for GD) but want to make money.

^Skyrim version.

You mean the 'trick' that got them an 94% Metacritic score? I think they are happy with it, just as I think Bethesda supposedly 'selling out' have over 3,5 million reasons to think that not following Codex wishes actually worked out for them despite making a 'turd'. Funny that would Codex wishes actually be taken up by developers then we'd have no RPG's at all apart from a the odd one or 10 man effort released every 5+ years. Strange as it may seem, they are not running a charity for the 100 people that are on the Codex for the RPG's(the other thousands are here for GD) but want to make money.

^Oblivion version.

:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree about SoZ though. What the fuck were Obsidian doing following up MotB with that?

They had a skeleton crew and knew that a lower-budget MotB-style game wouldn't have been received well.

For some reason they wasted a bunch of resources on a terrible overland map anyway.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Anyway, it's also being loyal to IE roots since Tales of the Sword Coast took the same amount of time to release. :smug:

The White March Part 1 is the equivalent of releasing Tale of the Sword Coast: The Werewolf Island DLC in a much buggier state than TotSC was released. Not the equivalent of a full TotSC.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A poster on the Obsidian forums pointed me to this German article that mentions March 2016 as a release date for Part 2: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/pilla...f_eternity_the_white_march,52695,3234852.html

Can somebody who sprachen Deutsch tell me if is this BS speculation or something they actually heard?

The White March Part 1 is the equivalent of releasing Tale of the Sword Coast: The Werewolf Island DLC in a much buggier state than TotSC was released. Not the equivalent of a full TotSC.

That analogy would work if it was just the one area, but it has Cragholdt too

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Ulgoth's Beard and Werewolf Island are a fair few areas because of the amount of interiors in Ulgoth's and Werewolf Island. Wouldn't be surprised if the map count was kinda similar.

Ulrox

Arbiter
All this talk about tales of the sword coast is making me want to replay bg again.

Rake

Arcane
I don't exactly disagree. But in my opinion in the last five years Obsidian has declined writing wise, while their gameplay is just as shitty as before. The only thing they improved is the overall buginess of their games. So instead of getting good storyfaggy games with shitty gameplay, we get banal boring games with boring gameplay, just more polished. Not a good exchange in my opinion.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I don't exactly disagree. But in my opinion in the last five years Obsidian has declined writing wise, while their gameplay is just as shitty as before. The only thing they improved is the overall buginess of their games. So instead of getting good storyfaggy games with shitty gameplay, we get banal boring games with boring gameplay, just more polished. Not a good exchange in my opinion.

Honestly - considering PoE's very retarded gameplay, that tries to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it seems to me that Obsidian's direction has changed. Obsidian no longer should be considered to be a 'good' company by codex, something many codexers, including infinitron has a hard time accepting. They got destroyed by the fallout new vegas fiasko - feargus cannot handle losing more employees, and that is understandable enough, but it also means that games try to optain as much money and appeal to as many casuals as possible, obsidian's spirit has 'changed' for the worse - and they're never going to do a mask of the betrayer or something akin to that. Our hopes and dreams should focus on other developers now to bring the incline, because I do not believe Obsidian are able to do it with the mindset that they have.

Blackguard

Learned
What FNV fiasco? It was voted 8th best RPG of all times here, and completely deserved it. The game was also a huge financial sucess (though Obsidian didn't see much of that money).

Ulrox

Arbiter
What FNV fiasco? It was voted 8th best RPG of all times here, and completely deserved it. The game was also a huge financial sucess (though Obsidian didn't see much of that money).
They lost tons of money because they didnt hit the metacritic - and feargus had to fire tons of employees. This I believe has lead to Obsidian losing it's spirit. You are right that from bethesda's point of view, F:NV is great business, but for obsidian it is tragic and painful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom