Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DS3 had narrative merits. It just had a bigger focus on combat.

I agree about SoZ though. What the fuck were Obsidian doing following up MotB with that?

Also, Obsidian started work on both action MMOs while Avellone was still narrative director of the whole studio.

Nothing wrong with the narrative in PoE though.

I know about PoE being fine..truly I don't see it any worse than anything in 90% of other games. It may not be earth shattering grimdark angst ridden existential exposition but as high fantasy in FR style is was good, and obviously a 'setup' of a new world. DS3 was a similar thing I guess. Certainly better than earlier fare but I think I didn't remember much because the game itself was pretty dire though probably due to the narrative I liked it most of the H&S games (because I hate the genre overall).
^Skyrim version.

^Oblivion version.

:lol:

What's your point? That Bethesda prospered doing this? Then the point I made holds true and is the key to understanding what's happening. The 'pitiful rookerfull' of people here who act so superior by hating on Bethesda, you think Todd and co are losing sleep about not reaching that hundred malcontents here? It's even more ironic when many of those same people glorify the 'Rhythm Thief RPG'(known as Dark Souls)where all you need is to memorise patterns and timing to succeed.

Fairfax

Arcane
All you need to do to find brain dead morons on the Codex is to look in a Pillars thread. It is like Sawyer raped their mothers or something. What the fuck is wrong with this game to merit so much scorn?
I don't think the game has earned this hate, but it was definitely misleading. I liked the game myself, but people have the right to resent Obsidian (or at least some of the people there) for it, and I do as well to some degree.
All it takes is one look at the original KS page. This is the introduction:

Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!
At first it looked like MCA, JES and Tim Cain would play important roles together. They're mentioned as designers, after all, not as the roles they got in the end. However, it was not true in the slightest, and it does make a difference. The initial reaction would've been different if only Sawyer's name had been mentioned above and MCA and Tim were listed with the small contributions they had in the final game.

The next bit was just as misleading:
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.
[...]
You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you'll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.
Central hero? Alright.
Memorable companions? Depending on the BG, they weren't all memorable, but speaking of PoE alone, I'd say only 3 or 4 tops were memorable, so no.
Epic exploration? False.
Fun? Entirely subjective, but I thought it was pretty boring at times.
It has the intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, I'll give them that.
Emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of PST? It has that, but not like PST at all, so false as well.

Then near the end they added George Ziets as a stretch goal, which sounded great, but all he did was provide feedback during pre-production.

Most people thought -myself included- that this was the dream team working on a CRPG with the best aspects of each IE game and full creative freedom. What's not to like, eh? Instead at some point it became Sawyer's pet project, which played it extremely safe and tried to fix the old IE games rather than pay homage to them, which was the main promise in the first place.
Again, I liked the game, but it's hard not to feel very frustrated and deceived.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:deadhorse:

So, has anybody finished the Cragholdt Bluffs yet? I'm wondering if there's anything resembling a "wizard duel" at the end of that.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Nature's Bounty grants cumulative permanent bonuses

Load the attached saved game.

Move forward in Magran's Fork; soon you'll be attacked by wolves on your left.

As you enter combat, use the protagonist (aumaua dudette) to keep the wolves busy.

Select one of the druids and cast Nature's Bounty.

Have one of the druids drink a Nature's Bounty potion.

Go to the druid's character sheet and click his Might score. Observe that it is 15 (10 base, +5 Nature's Bounty.) All good so far.

Have the same druid drink another Nature's Bounty potion.

Go to his character sheet and click his Might score. Observe that it is 25 (10 base, +5 Nature's Bounty.) Something's wrong.

Repeat as many times as you like; the third time gets you 45 (10 base, +5 Nature's Bounty.)

Kill off the wolves and wait for combat status to end.

Go to the druid's character sheet and observe that the bonus to his Might and Perception score has not gone away.

:balance:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spiritual successor to stacking all those bard song bonuses from IWD2. :)

9904.jpg

I really like what I have played so far. They even managed to do a quest that can be done only at night. This game reminds me of the time I played Icewind Dale and D2:LOD. I was in high-school back then. I really would love to see more content based on this engine. I want a part 2 and of course Torment Tides of Numenera based on the same engine. Just like IE games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh, "Others" indeed.

I really like what I have played so far. They even managed to do a quest that can be done only at night.

Not quite a quest, but PoE does have that secret night store in Defiance Bay that you have to find the password to. Also a few night-only Leaden Key ambushes. Nice to read that there's more stuff like that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, after all that talk of how devs were full of ideas for the expansion and how they now had & knew engine and could focus solely on content, all we get is "more of the same", to the point that even the game journo who says PoE is GOTY material calls the expansion "unremarkable". Bravo.

But don't lose heart! The second part/sequel/next crowdfunded project (now on Fig!) will surely deliver all your hopes and dreams.

Heh, "Others" indeed.

Not quite a quest, but PoE does have that secret night store in Defiance Bay that you have to find the password to. Also a few night-only Leaden Key ambushes. Nice to read that there's more stuff like that.

I really didn't know about that. I will have to give it a try on my 3rd play. I really want in the future at night people to sleep in their homes like in Arcanum, but then again I don't mind seeing more quests or bounties in the night.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So, after all that talk of how devs were full of ideas for the expansion and how they now had & knew engine and could focus solely on content, all we get is "more of the same", to the point that even the game journo who says PoE is GOTY material calls the expansion "unremarkable". Bravo.

But don't lose heart! The second part/sequel/next crowdfunded project (now on Fig!) will surely deliver all your hopes and dreams.
I'll buy your book if you do a PoE review in it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There will certainly be a PoE review, just don't expect it to be neutral-positive. :M

But I hope to finish the book before March 2016, so not sure how to tackle that.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Why didn't the Codex get a Part 1 review copy, by the way? I know we got one for the base game, and we managed to get quite a bit of front page content out of that. Are we off Obsidian's press list now?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

White Marsh part 2 will be MOTB for sure.

we can only hope

:lol:

Delterius

Arcane
That same journalist also says some fights were too hard for him even on easy.
Is this how low you've set the bar? Some random guy saying gaems difficult? I had difficulty exactly 3 times in base PoE and even then things were as boring as they were in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom