Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Fry

Arcane
There's little reason to believe that Pillars of Eternity won't command a large number of backers on Fig.

They'd have to actually release PoE sales numbers to attract serious investors for the sequel. That would be interesting.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think it's pretty much a bygone conclusion that fig is a retarded failure.

Its enough to look at the name to figure that out. Took me 5 minute two even find it because whole first page of Google results is about fig the fruit. Who woulda thought.

Fairfax

Arcane
Its enough to look at the name to figure that out. Took me 5 minute two even find it because whole first page of Google results is about fig the fruit. Who woulda thought.
That would be easy for them to avoid, but they'd have to pay google for it. Just like if you google "halo" you'll find the game and the beyonce song, but the actual word only shows up a few pages later. Same for doom, destiny, etc.
Anyway, shows they're not investing a lot of money in it yet.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Should have called it "GamesFig" or "EazyFig". That's Marketing 101.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I honestly will probably get done faster.

In three hours:
- Fully explored all of russetwood, found the ogre camp and completely facerolled them with zero party wiped
- did about 9 quests in Stalwart, found Zahua
- Went to longreach falls, but after running into the "fun" encounters of 20 murlocs a batch decided to come back at the current max level(they weren't really hard, but really annoying from a gameplay perspective)
- Went to Durgan's battery area, did everything in it, got the Devil of Carroc which is a 20~ minute dungeon, was told I'd have to figure out who had a dwarf soul in them so I rushed straight back to the inn to the female caretaker that has no lines based on a hunch, got the password, and after about 40 minutes of questing I am now standing in front of the white forge. It's pretty underwhelming. Mind you, I use fast mode on when I'm not in combat because im impatient.

:nocountryforshitposters:

20 minute dungeon for Devil of Croc? Are we even playing the same game or do you fight on fast mode? Also I didn't get how people can complain on difficulty when I find it really challenging some times.

I would really like to see PoE2. People here seems to forget that this is part 1 and compared to BG1 in my opinion PoE is better. Maybe they will succeed more with part 2. ( I was referring to PoE as a hole not just the expansion)

Last edited:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would really like to see PoE2. People here seems to forget that this is part 1 and compared to BG1 in my opinion PoE is better. Maybe they will succeed more with part 2.

Seriously doubt that since they're ignoring feedback made not only by grogtards but from people with constructive criticism as well (read: POE2 will probably be larger and more expansive, but it will also probably have more filler combat and non-existent encounter design).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"I disagree with your conclusions" isn't ignoring feedback.

Now that it's a product that exists I have to say it was pretty rotten of Obsidian to market two DLCs as an "expansion pack" because they wanted their money and they wanted it now, but their target market loathes DLC. A single product made within 10-11 months would have a greater scope than two made in five each. Just look at the three Shadowruns compared to a single RPG made in the same amount of time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can't see how anyone can disagree that PoE is choke full of filler combat and non existent encounter design.

I'm predicting I'll find encounter design and this is just an exaggeration, as it commonly is with Dragon Age: Origins or even Wasteland 2. Filler is by design.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My problem with "anti-fillerites" is that it's like they're banishing entire worldbuilding concepts from the genre. Why shouldn't a fantasy roleplaying world have dungeon levels infested with monsters? This a thing that exists in these worlds.

In any case, Obsidian do listen to feedback, including the "grogtard" feedback. I realize you don't see this if you don't pay close attention like I have to, but during E3 and Gamescom, Josh was constantly dropping hints that he was very aware of the game's vocal haters and what they were saying.

Did you know that this expansion dropped the item modifier labels that pissed off people like felipepepe so much?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In that case it's being mentally challenged.

Cool armchair analysis bro.

Laziness and lack of imagination.

Pretty funny how some grogs want Obsidian to adhere to tradition when it comes to systems but change the pacing to something very non-traditional.

Actual strategic gameplay is likely off the table in any game that isn't explicitly marketed as a strategy RPG.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
In any case, Obsidian do listen to feedback, including the "grogtard" feedback.

Which is the problem in my opinion.

The game right now, has a bastard design. It's not clear what kind of game they wanna make yet and we're months after the initial release. The combat is a good example of that : it's tuned for both the hardcore and the casual, and therefore logically fails satisfying any of them.
And this is why, imo, people complain so much about filler combat : T'is never been a problem to have filler combat from beginning to end in BG/IWD 'cause there were the designed encounter here and there to break routine. PoE uses the same idea, but as I said, they although want to appeal to the casual braindead fuck who doesn't read the rules. So imagine BG/IWD with no designed high-stake encounters between all the thrash mobs, this is how PoE ends to be because its designed encounters (those who're supposed to break the rhythm and challenge the player) are tuned down to hell and feel exactly like any other encounter.
That's what is frustrating, you can see the core system, you know it could be interesting for combat but you're given tuned down crap from caed nua onwards so the crit path player retarded fuck can handle the shit.
T'also explains why, despite the game being ridiculously easy, you'll find people complaining on the internet that it's actually hard "even on easy" and that people who claim otherwise are blatant liers :lol: these people don't even know how the game works to begin with, ofc they get tackled down.

So yeah, I wish that, in terms of feedback, they either listen only to the moron or only to the alpha, but it'd be cool that they make up their mind so we can finally rest.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
My problem with "anti-fillerites" is that it's like they're banishing entire worldbuilding concepts from the genre.

> worldbuilding
> lions in the middle of a lush temperate forest

pick one

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
its designed encounters (those who're supposed to break the rhythm and challenge the player) are tuned down to hell and feel exactly like any other encounter.

I don't agree with this. I'll have more thoughts to share about PoE's notable encounters after I'm done with the game, but there are some encounters that stand out. Of course, it helps to arrive at them at not too high a level, but I tend to play in a pretty typical hardcore RPGer "exploit this area for as much exp as possible before moving on" fashion so I think my experiences are relevant.

But off the top of my head - fampyr/dargul groups in Od Nua, Forge Knights, earlier encounters with screaming banshees. NPC group battles are a bit disappointing (seem like almost all of them are designed for characters a few levels lower than me) but the mercenary group on Aedalwan Bridge you fight in the Vailian embassy quest was excellent and single-handedly proves the system's potential.

There's little that's casual about PoE - its systems are altogether more complex than AD&D, with additional concepts of damage threshold, attack speed and movement speed to juggle.

> lions in the middle of a lush temperate forest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_lions_in_Europe

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
They lived in ancient Greece, the Balkans and southern parts of Russia. It is also suggested by historical evidence, although not certain, that they lived in parts of central and western Europe, including Hungary, Italy, southern France, Spain and Portugal.

Hot places around the Black Sea and the Mediterranean don't sound very medieval Welsh to me.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
There's little that's casual about PoE - its systems are altogether more complex than AD&D, with additional concepts of damage threshold, attack speed and movement speed to juggle.

But they're not well supported by the design of the game, of the overall spells and abilities, of how either the player of the monsters (especially the monsters) can affect this system by buffing/crippling abilities.
I'll take an example in od nua, near to the end, where there's some fights against purple golem + cean gula (the ghost who paralyzes). This encounter would be less depressing if being paralyzed by the cean gula had any impact on the outcome of the fight. Even without the prayer against restraint, or whatever prayer protects against paralyzis, there is no chance to die here with a level 10 party (against level 9-10 foes according to their monster sheet) because the purple golems are nothing more than tough. They have high DR and high defenses, but shit low accuracy and damage (around 40 acc for around 12 damage... which corresponds to a level 3 party equivalent ?) meaning they rarely hit you, and even if they do they'll be damage reduced to 1. I don't say they should hit for 50 with 100 ACC but give 'em at least the means to hurt a paralyzed dude (-40 deflection) with more than only 50% chance to hit and close to no chance to go through DR...
What it means practically : you can never be punished for a mistake in a game where you can't do any mistake. I hear obsidian devs when they don't want fights to end up having only one way and punishing all others, but designing fights to be handled by any way, implying there's no way to get it wrong, is even more stupid.
Sure there are people who play without a priest in their party and can't have +50 defense against paralyzis, and they should be punished for not having that when they fight level 10 foes with paralyzing abilities. The design is such that they merely get paralyzed longer, and as I said it doesn't matter because the purple golems that should be about destroying your paralyzed characters don't do shit with their tuned down stats.
Am playing on hard btw, it's probably harder in POTD but i've no doubt it's although stupider and longer than necessary.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Hot places around the Black Sea and the Mediterranean don't sound very medieval Welsh to me.

The Pillars of Eternity world doesn't have culture/geographical area corresponding to Earth, eg the Aedyrans are Anglo-Saxon but they live on the equator. (and yes, they evolved elsewhere and migrated there which is why they're white)

But they're not well supported by the design of the game, of the overall spells and abilities, of how either the player of the monsters (especially the monsters) can affect this system by buffing/crippling abilities.
I'll take an example in od nua, near to the end, where there's some fights against purple golem + cean gula (the ghost who paralyzes). This encounter would be less depressing if being paralyzed by the cean gula had any impact on the outcome of the fight. Even without the prayer against restraint, or whatever prayer protects against paralyzis, there is no chance to die here

Like I said, that's not been my impression of those encounters and those abilities (playing on PotD, of course). The cean gŵla (I'm just calling them banshees, fuck it) can fuck you up with paralysis and I've found that use of Prayer against Paralysis is often a bare minimum to survive. If I didn't have Durance, I'd find some other way to get around them, I guess.

And oh hey, here's one I forgot. I'm not sure you'd consider them to be truly "difficult" because they're immobile and ultimately not THAT hard to surround and take down, but fucking Swamp Spores. Those things will ruin your day.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's a short expansion, nigga.

Your dick is short, nigga. The expansion is fine. I clocked the whole thing in 18-20 hours of gameplay.

The only way you can get this far in the expansion in just 3 hours, is if you're skipping all the dialogue, skipping all the CYOA events, skipping exploring the environment, and basically ignoring 90% of the content while mindlessly running from one pack of mobs to another on fast mode.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My problem with "anti-fillerites" is that it's like they're banishing entire worldbuilding concepts from the genre. Why shouldn't a fantasy roleplaying world have dungeon levels infested with monsters? This a thing that exists in these worlds.

In any case, Obsidian do listen to feedback, including the "grogtard" feedback. I realize you don't see this if you don't pay close attention like I have to, but during E3 and Gamescom, Josh was constantly dropping hints that he was very aware of the game's vocal haters and what they were saying.

Did you know that this expansion dropped the item modifier labels that pissed off people like felipepepe so much?
Josh listens to goons, that's not feedback... That's whining from a bunch of little bitches.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom