Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That same journalist also says some fights were too hard for him even on easy.
Yes, filthy casual is casual. Yet even he agrees that PoE's encounters felt like filler, and that the trends continues here:

I couldn’t help think that the original Pillars would have been a twenty hour RPG if it didn’t make every encounter with a group of indentikit bads into a painstaking battle. This is the case here too [...]

Sins of checklist / kickstarter design, where ticking that 60 hours campaign & 15 level mega-dungeon comes first, securing a decent pacing comes last.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this how low you've set the bar? Some random guy saying gaems difficult? I had difficulty exactly 3 times in base PoE and even then things were as boring as they were in general.

And they've improved it with better enemy AI and immunities.

Yes, filthy casual is casual. Yet even he agrees that PoE's encounters felt like filler, and that the trends continues here:

Sins of checklist / kickstarter design, where ticking that 60 hours campaign & 15 level mega-dungeon comes first, securing a decent pacing comes last.

Fillerphobes gonna fillerphobe. Tales of the Sword Coast had "filler" too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh? How was your experience with the new Enemy AI?
I've read others claim enemies use all their abilities more, and tanking damage isn't as viable as it was, since enemies will now endure the disengagement attack to go after casters/ranged attackers.

Delterius

Arcane
I've read others claim enemies use all their abilities more, and tanking damage isn't as viable as it was, since enemies will now endure the disengagement attack to go after casters/ranged attackers.
But what abilities and which enemies in particular marked your very own white march?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
But what abilities and which enemies in particular marked your very own white march?

You don't need to have played a game to know that it's mediocre-to-decent. Just look at Sensuki and Planescape:Torment.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For someone who aggressively defends deviation from stupid tradition you're highly apologetic of Obsidian's certain (borderline retarded) decisions.

They made it pretty clear this was going to be a nostalgia game for people who remember liking the Infinity Engines games but hated the actual rules (i.e. goons). Can't fault an apple for not being a orange.

Are you disputing the AI's been improved? :hmmm:

I've yet to see someone play it and claim the enemy AI makes combat worse (except people who are really mad they can't tank and spank almost everything anymore).

Fairfax

Arcane
Tanks are weaker, but they can still aggro almost all enemies. All it takes is for them to approach the enemies first while the rest stays behind, and then they join the fight once the tanks are engaged. This claim that enemies target the whole party is only true if you attack with everyone at once.
As for using more abilities, I've yet to notice that at all, but I'm not in the expansion stuff yet (because of a gamebreaking bug, no less).

Delterius

Arcane
Are you disputing the AI's been improved? :hmmm:
I'm not disputing anything. Its just that you are Very Good at market research of what other people/developers talk about the product, but I've yet to see your own personal take on the game. I don't doubt that there may now actually be an AI in Pillars of Eternity, I just want to hear at you thought of the expansion, Roguey.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The premise of White March's story seems to have been interpolated from the history of the Aeolian Islands (which also happens to be where Obsidian acquired its name as a company).

Basically there was a volcanic eruption in some islands north of Sicily with unusual properties that resulted in the occurrence of obsidian rocks. A fairly robust sequence of Stone Age civilizations organized around mining and making weapons out of the obsidian, as it was the sharpest stone in existence. All of the advanced civilizations of the Mediterranean brought huge amounts of wealth in order to acquire it. Then when bronze was discovered, the islands went into decline.

Urquhart or someone once cited this phenomenon when describing how Obsidian was formed out of the "eruption" of Black Isle Studios.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Basically there was a volcanic eruption in some islands north of Sicily with unusual properties that resulted in the occurrence of obsidian rocks. A fairly robust sequence of Stone Age civilizations organized around mining and making weapons out of the obsidian, as it was the sharpest stone in existence. All of the advanced civilizations of the Mediterranean brought huge amounts of wealth in order to acquire it. Then when bronze was discovered, the islands went into decline.

Urquhart or someone once cited this phenomenon when describing how Obsidian was formed out of the "eruption" of Black Isle Studios.

Who's the bronze in this analogy? I'm thinking Larian.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who's the bronze in this analogy? I'm thinking Larian.

Don't think they are competitors.

inXile and Obsidian want to take a bite out of the larger RPG studios (Bioware, Bethesda, and CDProjeckt) by using their Fig thing and profits from indies to make their "iii" games. Larian looks like it is going to stick to the AA for the time being.

Fairfax

Arcane

inXile and Obsidian want to take a bite out of the larger RPG studios (Bioware, Bethesda, and CDProjeckt) by using their Fig thing and profits from indies to make their "iii" games. Larian looks like it is going to stick to the AA for the time being.
Good for Larian, if you ask me. D:OS is much more successful than any other KS RPG and it was self-published.

Shevek

Arcane

That outer wilds game on fig hasnt exactly taken off.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
... you should at least wait for one game people actually want to back to go on there before bringing the hammer down.

mlss_luigi-hammer.jpg

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think Obsidian is more likely to play it safe for their first Fig project; maybe another card game or a Minecraft clone.

There's little reason to believe that Pillars of Eternity won't command a large number of backers on Fig.

Maybe not as many as KickStarter, but they'll get those investors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom