Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the first time I see someone excited there are romances in this game and likes (?) Xoti.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It scales the enemy levels only by 4 levels, not up to level 20. Which is crucial because you outlevel the content ridiculously fast and everything turns into a mop up job if you don't use the scaling option. You should also use the xp reduction mod on top tbh.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh and other things I like, Obsidian gives you choice of RTwP or TB and then level scaling which I said a resounding NO !!!!

Why would you ever want level scaling, it utterly destroys the point of open world risk vs reward. I always want to know that there are enemies that must annihilate me if I try to attack them on lower levels

I like the skull system for quests and enemies, thats a good enough guide me

Everything except megabosses and the starter island is so piss easy even on PotD in PoEII, you really should turn level scaling on. The game's open world is not designed to handle it being off.

BruceVC

Magister
It scales the enemy levels only by 4 levels, not up to level 20. Which is crucial because you outlevel the content ridiculously fast and everything turns into a mop up job if you don't use the scaling option. You should also use the xp reduction mod on top tbh.
Interesting, so for example if a rat is level 2 then it level scales only to level 6 and not higher? And does it not scale levels down so for example a dragon that is level 16 will always be level 16 or will the dragon become level 12 if Im level 10?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Interesting, so for example if a rat is level 2 then it level scales only to level 6 and not higher? And does it not scale levels down so for example a dragon that is level 16 will always be level 16 or will the dragon become level 12 if Im level 10?

The latter is true if you turn on the option to only have level scaling upwards on, yes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Megabosses will be legitimately hard (maybe even unbeatable depending on your build skills), but that's only a great part about the game. I wish the rest of the game was harder, but the megabosses will legitimately test your skills on PotD, something exceedingly rare in these kinds of RPGs.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Megabosses will be legitimately hard (maybe even unbeatable depending on your build skills), but that's only a great part about the game. I wish the rest of the game was harder, but the megabosses will legitimately test your skills on PotD, something exceedingly rare in these kinds of RPGs.
Well yes, but I don't love them.
They are more of a check of recommended tools, rather then of skill. Not sure its possible to beat them with a sub-optimal party. Maybe some. But then most likely it'd be very tedious.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PoE II feels a lot like an MMO to me. The challenge seems to be more about exploring and picking the right encounters than anything else. I'm still early in the game so maybe that's going to change at some point.

Might as well post here about it as I'm currently playing it too.

BruceVC

Magister

The latter is true if you turn on the option to only have level scaling upwards on, yes.
Thanks for the feedback and Im glad you guys mentioned this because I dont want to outlevel content to soon

Im going to enable level scaling upwards :salute:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Oh and other things I like, Obsidian gives you choice of RTwP or TB and then level scaling which I said a resounding NO !!!!
Upscaling is good, as I've said.

As for the game mode, I recommend RTwP, at least for your first game.
Experience the systems like Josh initially imagined.

Many systems are largely meaningless in TB mode (like Dex, Armor Speed - wear the heaviest one, D'oh, Weapon Modals that impact Action Speed - why would ever not use the +20 Accuracy Arquebus one for example?), TB mode skews the Balance between martials and casters in favor of casters (what is better: a sword swing - or even 2 - or a Fireball? - cause now they both take 1 round to make) plus passive-reactive martial builds (Retalitation and Ripostes) - off-turn damage is good, enemies are often a bit too bullet spongy for my taste.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well yes, but I don't love them.
They are more of a check of recommended tools, rather then of skill. Not sure its possible to beat them with a sub-optimal party. Maybe some. But then most likely it'd be very tedious.

You're not wrong that they do stat check hard. Definitely their downside

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
PoE II feels a lot like an MMO to me. The challenge seems to be more about exploring and picking the right encounters than anything else. I'm still early in the game so maybe that's going to change at some point.

Eh, the challenge should be about right on the main quest "critical path" early game.
Some places might be challenging - but that's a good thing, believe me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't mind the megabosses being a test for party efficiency. The "everyone can do everything" philosophy is what drags down PoE's system.

BruceVC

Magister

Many systems are largely meaningless in TB mode (like Dex, Armor Speed - wear the heaviest one, D'oh, Weapon Modals that impact Action Speed - why would ever not use the +20 Accuracy Arquebus one for example?), TB mode skews the Balance between martials and casters in favor of casters (what is better: a sword swing - or even 2 - or a Fireball? - cause now they both take 1 round to make) plus passive-reactive martial builds (Retalitation and Ripostes) - off-turn damage is good, enemies are often a bit too bullet spongy for my taste.
Yes Im staying with RTwP, I am comfortable with it and I like micromanaging my party

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes Im staying with RTwP, I am comfortable with it and I like micromanaging my party

AI scripts are like an even better version of DA:O's, so use them. I would recommend TB since I think PoE's systems are better made for it, but the game is definitely made with RTwP in mind in many ways.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Eh, the challenge should be about right on the main quest "critical path" early game.
Some places might be challenging - but that's a good thing, believe me.
Oh yeah, that's true. But I still have to grind out a few levels before going back to the main quest. That's the MMO part I'm talking about.

I'm liking PoE II more and more the more I play it. Combat feels really smooth and the tide of battle can change in an instant. Stealth and exploration have also been done extremely well. I don't recall any other CRPG doing such a great job with Stealth.

I can also see much more replayability in PoE II compared to PoE I. For me that's a very good sign. But it feels like the art direction has been toned down a bit. It's like things are softer in a way. I don't want to say 'kid-friendly' art, but it definitely lacks edge.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PoE2's graphics/art style are gorgeous, one of the best looking "isometric" games ever imo.
I 100% agree with this.

My expectations for Pillars II were that it was going to be even darker than Pillars I.
The sense and tone of adventure that's achieved in the sequel is truly something outstanding. It reminds me of what I felt when watching One Piece during my school years and that to me is something special.

I just got a little bit of subverted expectations y'all. I'm sure it happens to the best of us.

BruceVC

Magister
Cool. Though don't sleep on AI scripts, they are pretty robust in Deadfire.
Yes to be honest I let AI handle much of the combat except for hard battles or bosses. But I have 6 people in my party and I manage the 2-3 magic users which include my main character a Cipher, my wizard and my healer but I let AI handle the fighter, barbarian and ranger

But then I will manage the fighters if they not attacking who I want. But the AI is effective

As I mentioned when its hard battles like Thaos or a dragon then I manage all the characters because I adopt a certain strategy so I literally pause after every group action and read the log to see if my strategy is working

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom