Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

tdphys

Learned
The IE games have way more reactivity in combat (due to counter mechanics, debuffing/status effect removal - various other things ... some which exist in very limited scope in Pillars of Eternity but due to the nature of the design can still largely be completely ignored) whereas in the IE games you often have to wait to see what actions enemies make before choosing your own. Most decision making in PE is strategical, and most of it is done in encounter setup. Stealth, Positioning and Initial actions.

. The AI is also dumber in Pillars of Eternity.

In what way was IE AI more dynamic then Pillars? Are we talking about the absence of some randomness for AI encounter power usage or target selection? I have a hard time accepting that Hard counters somehow makes a combat more fun in a more reactive tactical way. The debuff/buffing system in pillars is more dynamic and critical then IE and requires reaction, though I'd like it better if it had more focused components and counters rather then a single priest / scroll.

I get the feeling that you haven't played an encounter in Pillars that lasted longer then ... I don't know... ten seconds. A lot of the bounties occured in open areas with varied enemies that required reaction to win the encounter, in my experience, at least.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I dont see how you are figuring what the right and wrong ways to play are in these games. Its fairly arbitrary as far as I can tell.

But its not arbitrary at all. Obviously the only correct way to play, is the one that will make BG seem like superior game.

In other words, deliberately playing BG badly by not using existing mechanics, in an attempt to extract some challenge out of otherwise generic and easy experience = wow amazing tactical depth.

Doing the same thing in Pillars = you're playing it wrong.

But then that's the kind of desperate logic you can expect from a guy who wasted 6 months of his life whining about the game before it even came out.

Stompa

Arcane
Rest spamming is akin to a cheat no matter how you slice it, simply because D&D wasn't made with an assumption that some niggas would stop for 8 hours after every bunch of kobolds. That Bioware didn't severely limit resting is entirely on them. Sure, they've tried with random encounters, but that didn't work all that well.

Now, I have nothing against limited resting, but the way it worked in Pillows was that you could just backtrack to closest town to rest however much you wanted and then return to the dungeon, so camp supplies didn't matter shit. The world would wait for your 10-day travel back and forth. You'd even get better bonuses for doing so! Only thing that discouraged it was loading screens (especially Brighthollow, 4 loadscreens to rest was balls). If they really wanted to curb restspam, they should've gone with their campsites idea on top of camp supplies, and forgone inns copmpletely. They had a great chance to fix what faults computer iterations of D&D had and they just fucked it up.

Lhynn

Arcane
Resting anywhere was never a problem, let alone one as big as resting supplies in poe. Sawyer managed to break what wasnt broken by trying to fix it, a decade after the fact. It boggles the mind and have been a source of more than one laugh.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Rest spamming is akin to a cheat no matter how you slice it, simply because D&D wasn't made with an assumption that some niggas would stop for 8 hours after every bunch of kobolds. That Bioware didn't severely limit resting is entirely on them. Sure, they've tried with random encounters, but that didn't work all that well.

That's some backwards logic if I ever saw one. You're the one who's cheating yourself into making the game harder, by deliberately playing it badly. Rest spam is a normal mechanic existing in a game. Its not my problem if it makes things too easy. Bioware made the game this way, I'm just using what's normally available to me.

This reminds me of some people on Civ: BNW forums attempting to defend complaints about the game being too easy, by saying you're not supposed to use the certain builds. What the fuck kind of thinking is that? If I find a legitimate strategy that makes things easier, you can be sure as fuck I'm gonna use it. That's not cheating, that's playing the game as it is.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So what is the consensus on this game? I've seen a lot of dispute on if this is good, great, or mediocre.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
So what is the general consensus on this game? I've seen a lot of dispute on if this is good, great, or mediocre.
Its a great game thats extremely boring, has no narrative value, with simplistic and repetitive combat, and by extension meaningless character building, which ties to the overdesigned character system that nontheless fails at every single goal it set out to do, good graphics but bad art direction, awful exploration, non existant encounter design and the most annoying fanbase you can think of. Also loading screens.

Cadmus

Arcane
Its a great game thats extremely boring, has no narrative value, with simplistic and repetitive combat, and by extension meaningless character building, which ties to the overdesigned character system that nontheless fails at every single goal it set out to do, good graphics but bad art direction, awful exploration, non existant encounter design and the most annoying fanbase you can think of. Also loading screens.
The art direction is pretty ok. It's not really inspired or doesn't stand out or anything but it's not actively bad imo.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
The art direction is pretty ok. It's not really inspired or doesn't stand out or anything but it's not actively bad imo.

But the writing though... take the dialogs for example : a good way to realize how impersonal they are is to replace the first person by the third.

- Tell me about the golden grove !

153210dialog1.jpg

They are the ovates. They gather here to share their knowledge and celebration. Many travelers come to them for poultices and remedies.

Well that wasn't fair, I asked a very generic question about lore and shit... let's try something personal !

- Who are you ?

224809dialog2.jpg

He's a soldier of the crucible knights. He helps keep everything running at the keep so that commander clyver can focus on more important matters.

Ok that's low, these are second hand npcs, they're meant to be more or less boring. Let's talk to our companions !

- Tell me about your order Pallegina

643194dialog4.jpg

In the republics, they call if the xxx. The five suns are the "ducs bels", the great ducs who rule over the most powerful republics - Milano, Venice, Pisa, Rome, and Firenze. The ducs bels blahblahblah

Fortunately there's actually a character in the game, hidden behind all the wikipedia articles. Let's be fair and ask him something very generic about the lore.

- Tell me about the saint's war

806843dialog3.jpg

Waidwen should have stayed a farmer. [citation needed]

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
He is, there was no sarcasm regarding Durance.
Hence the pun about the wiki's citation needed, he actually has an opinion on stuff and doesn't just shits out articles about the lore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In what way was IE AI more dynamic then Pillars? Are we talking about the absence of some randomness for AI encounter power usage or target selection? I have a hard time accepting that Hard counters somehow makes a combat more fun in a more reactive tactical way. The debuff/buffing system in pillars is more dynamic and critical then IE and requires reaction, though I'd like it better if it had more focused components and counters rather then a single priest / scroll.

I second this. The whole "PoE is a DPS race and 'counter-spelling' has been intentionally removed by evil Sawyerism" is a calumny that too many people here have swallowed up uncritically. Evidence: My actual experience of the game's best encounters.

It is true that "counter-spelling" seems to be a particular specialty of Priests, with their fast casting Prayers and Heals. I really like that the Heals are fast, btw. The concept of Heals as a quick tactical counter-move is something that doesn't exist in the IE, where the Cure X Wounds spells take increasingly long times to cast. Getting a heal off right before a Forge Knight fries your party with lightning spam - good times.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mean that in the 3E sense. "Counterspelling" in the sense of casting a spell to protect against and/or remove the effects of another spell or debilitating ability.

(btw, the idea of combining these two things is another nice PoE innovation - it's still better to get your Prayer in before the affliction hits, but given the realities of real-time combat, making it useful even if you were too late is good design)

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I dont see how you are figuring what the right and wrong ways to play are in these games. Its fairly arbitrary as far as I can tell.

I don't believe I ever used the word right or wrong. (Quote me?). What I did say is that there are people (yourself included) that complain about the IE combat being boring/too easy/etc etc when you admittedly cheesed them.

Fuckwits like IHaveASmallDick here fail to see that there is a large difference in the gameplay outcomes between rest-spamming in the IE games ... and whatever it is that I do when I play Pillars of Eternity (playing normally I guess?)

Rest spamming in the IE games *removes* the strategical gameplay considerations from the game. Health isn't really a problem due to the abundance of healing resources in the game (there are so many potions) but people are probably too lazy to click an icon three times to heal and instead use the rest button ... which also replenishes all of their per-day resources - spells, item uses and whatnot. Things that do have a *big* impact on the difficulty of encounters.

Rest-spamming combined with pre-buffing is the worst because not only are you removing the strategical gameplay considerations, you are also removing tactical reactivity from the game by protecting yourself through the roof against all of the attacks from creatures in the encounter. I have absolutely nothing against pre-buffing, and I think it is a great mechanic when combined with strategical resource management. However rest-spamming takes that away and makes it possible for you to become nigh immune to everything every encounter, which takes the fun out of the game and makes it boil down to select all + left click and virtually no other player input during the encounter.

Perhaps you guys don't find on the spot thinking fun? I'm not sure.

---

Now, what is it that you guys are complaining about, apparently I 'run around in circles' or something in combat. Well, I've got over one hundred videos on my youtube channel of Pillars of Eternity and Icewind Dale. Aside from the Kiting Demonstration videos that I made to try and prove that Engagement was a pointless mechanic, do you actually see me running around in circles in my videos? I doubt it. You only talk about it because it's basically the only ammunition that you have against my argument, and even then it's not even a very good one. Pretty much anyone that plays will make unit movements based on enemy actions. Vampire is coming at Aerie, she's already been level drained and she's the one with the Restoration spells which she'll lose if the vampire hits her - what do you do? You make Aerie run! You intercede with Minsc or something and put her out of the way so she doesn't get level drained. Everyone with half a brain makes decisions and performs actions like that without even really thinking about it - it is instinctual. However, I am also a DotA player and in DotA you have to meticulously manage the aggro of your character so that you don't take too much damage from creeps, and that has taught me to always be actively thinking about unit targeting in games.

Most of the work regarding unit targeting in Pillars of Eternity is done with pre-positioning which is made very easy through the Stealth mechanic and the fact that you have an absolute bullshit line of sight while in stealth, so you can perfectly position your party members before you enter an encounter (which you couldn't do in the Infinity Engine games to a hostile encounter ... at least for the whole party unless they all had Stealth or Invisibility, which is both meticulous and in some cases has resource costs). You can see what units are in the encounter pretty easily even with Stealth level 0 and set up your party so that your desired tanking units are the closest to the encounter. Now ... where exactly is the cheesing here? Is this opting out of strategical or tactical gameplay? No, it's not.

The big difference for me here between the Infinity Engine games and Pillars of Eternity is that strategical positioning is not really required for most encounters in the Infinity Engine games because you generally make tactical movement adjustments in combat to react to what enemies do. Unfortunately because of the Engagement system and the movement recovery slow - this becomes pointless/a worse decision than getting it right during 'strat time'. This is part of what I mean when I say that Infinity Engine combat is tactical and Pillars of Eternity's combat is strategical - because in Pillars of Eternity, the game is won or lost during the encounter setup, getting into position and picking the right opening abilities. The start of Infinity Engine combat barely matters, it is won based on the decisions you make in the encounter, the reactions you make to enemy actions.

The existence of per-encounter abilities also play a part in the stacking of strategical gameplay, and largely contribute to combat becoming a set series of rote actions. Combat openings are usually opening up with a string of per-encounter abilities (sometimes dailies) which have no resource cost whatsoever. Most abilities have more than one use per encounter as well, and thus, you are virtually always opening with a per-encounter action. Each per-encounter ability requires a hotkey click or mouse click, a mouse movement to the location of the target's selection circle and a mouse click on the target. Virtually every class in the game has multiple per-encounter abilities, and most classes in the game have per-encounters that are offensive. Thus, the majority of actions you are performing in combat is selecting characters and firing off per-encounter abilities targeted at enemies. You have an overabundance of them, so there is virtually no thought (or tactical consideration) required, it just becomes a mindless activity of rote per-encounter spam. Anyone who thinks the mere existence of per-encounters and the use of them is 'tactical combat' (I'm looking at you Josh Sawyer) is kidding themselves.

In a different universe where there was a lot more cost-benefit analysis involved, then and only then, it might they be.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't mean that in the 3E sense. "Counterspelling" in the sense of casting a spell to protect against and/or remove the effects of another spell or debilitating ability.

(btw, the idea of combining these two things is another nice PoE innovation - it's still better to get your Prayer in before the affliction hits, but given the realities of real-time combat, making it useful even if you were too late is good design)
More like the reaility of not being allowed to cast spells before the arbitrary state of "combat" is begun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In the base game content, they are still retards and on hard I am just left clicking and chilling while the tank and spank happens. Sorry for not clarifying.

Interesting, because the "wah I can't tank anymore" complaints came during the patch beta, when people only had the base game to play.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I second this. The whole "PoE is a DPS race and 'counter-spelling' has been intentionally removed by evil Sawyerism" is a calumny that too many people here have swallowed up uncritically. Evidence: My actual experience of the game's best encounters.

It is true that "counter-spelling" seems to be a particular specialty of Priests, with their fast casting Prayers and Heals. I really like that the Heals are fast, btw. The concept of Heals as a quick tactical counter-move is something that doesn't exist in the IE, where the Cure X Wounds spells take increasingly long times to cast. Getting a heal off right before a Forge Knight fries your party with lightning spam - good times.
You have been smoking something nasty.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
In any case, Obsidian do listen to feedback, including the "grogtard" feedback. I realize you don't see this if you don't pay close attention like I have to, but during E3 and Gamescom, Josh was constantly dropping hints that he was very aware of the game's vocal haters and what they were saying.

Don't be coy - give me a list.
The last thing I saw from Sawyer - was a "Make your own adventure" where all the best ideas were shot down by Obsidian because it would cost too much.

Lhynn

Arcane
That's very realistic but it's not fun or an enjoyable story to find at all.
I wouldnt call it realistic, just sawyer i guess telling stories that are not worth talking about. A more sensible storyteller would have skipped these pointless and irritating time wasters, or spiced them up to keep the audience interested or engaged.

But this isnt the case, you dont remove effects, you just shorten their effect time, from 2.5 seconds to 1.6 seconds usually, with a 1.3 second cast time, which leaves you reducing the effect to around 2.2 seconds, effectively boring me to tears and making me not even bother the next time, still winning the fight, and if one of mine does fall, who gives a shit, he has auto resurrect and full health regeneration at the end of it.

But this isnt innovative, stuff like freedom of movement or protection from fear could be used in BG no problem and they worked in a better way mechanically, not shortening durations but outright countering the effect. This added more depth to the combat than poe ever had, plus it made it far more dynamic. We have discussed this many times.

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter
But this isnt innovative, stuff like freedom of movement or protection from fear could be used in BG no problem and they worked in a better way mechanically, not shortening durations but outright countering the effect. This added more depth to the combat than poe ever had, plus it made it far more dynamic. We have discussed this many times.

And a few pages back Infinitron was using this emote, :deadhorse: - and then he continued to beat the dead horse himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom