Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But here comes PoE 17 motherfucking years later and acomplished absolutely nothing than Baldurs did in the fucking age stone,how can that be?For fuck sake they even regresed when it comes to the combat system and questing in general...
Lack of experience for the amount of development time they had, I guess. When I'm not pissed off, I do realize no one likes making bad games or does it on purpose. I'm sure they wish it could be better and TWM is enough evidence of intellect in my book. They just seem to need to use the first game as a tutorial I'm afraid.

Turns out Josh is just as annoyed as Sensuki regarding transparency.

It has been a continual frustration that we've never been able to extract animation time and display it with all appropriate modifications and recovery times. If we make a sequel, it's something I want to address ASAP.

It's not a matter of "they won't do this," it's a matter of "they can't." :)
That's pretty cool to know, that he acknowledges that combat easily becomes a clusterfuck where you can't tell who is on top of whom. Also:

He probably does.
You seem to be wrong there.

There's no way to see your real attack speed in PoE, and there's no simple way to calculate it either. Part of the problem is that the attack animation has a component whose length is strictly fixed and is not affected by attack speed modifiers. Thus, a modifier that "increases attack speed by 10%" doesn't actually provide a 10% improvement.

There's also a difference between "attack time" and "recovery time" for an attack, and both are affected by different modifiers. One current estimate is that a war bow has 30 attack frames and 60 recovery frames as a baseline, while a pistol has 54 attack frames and 76 recovery frames.

All of this should reasonably be shown in the UI based on how much information it offers about the other combat mechanics, but it isn't.
While trying to grasp PoE's combat calculations I was thinking that either Obsidian messed up their maths very seriously, or if I'm the only one who is having a hard time understanding them, I must be unnaturally dumb and everyone else unnaturally smart at the same time, which isn't very probable.

What a clusterfuck, I did not know that.
Amen, Irenaeus. Good thing you didn't unwatch the thread, eh?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think it's just a case of overdesign. They'd be much better off working on a turn-based game as well, then a lot of these issues would go away.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
playing it can permanently scar one's psyche.

I recall someone on these forums said Pillars broke them and they haven't played a game since. I have to admit, Pillars did the same to me when I finished it 5 months ago. I haven't played a game since.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Best thing I saw about your views o game Sensuki were butthurt you caused on Obs forums, fuck me some o them lads really fucking hated you having an opinion. Hilarious.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Think of it this way, it's seven months later and they're still writing paragraphs about Pillars.

"Forgettable," they said. :lol:

Ever heard the term it's so bad it's good? PoE threads have me laughing my ass off at work.

It's just so fun to rip on it....
Way more fun then actually playing it - you would know if you had even installed it yet.

I found a use for it - it feeds my ignore list steadily.

Innn my saaafe space - Don't let reality in!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Way more fun then actually playing it - you would know if you had even installed it yet.

It's installed, I'm just waiting for the final patch. I imagine that might be dropping around spring or summer of next year.

The first shot of the last PoE squadmate (probably):
12139884_906496822791343_496842897_n.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/82854-update-203-beta-is-live-on-steam/

Hey, everyone. The 2.03 Update Beta (Build 788) is now live on Steam. If you would like to see the premilinary update notes you can find them here.

If you would like instructions on how to join the beta, please go here.

Hey, everyone. We have a new beta up on Steam for you guys. Here are the preliminary update notes.

Steam Controller
  • Pillars of Eternity now has support for the Steam controller. The default template will be set once the update is live.
  • There is a suggested configuration that can be found on the templates that are accessed in Steam's big screen mode.
  • New key bindings have been added to support additional actions needed for the Steam controller control schemes.
Fighter Changes
  • Base Deflection raised up by 5.
  • Knockdown gets a 1.20 damage multiplier (no longer gets bonus Crush damage)
  • Disciplined Barrage raised from +10 to +15 Accuracy
  • Armored Grace has been scaled from -15% to -20% Armor Recovery Penalty
  • Clear Out base Crush damage increased from 10-16 to 15-22. Scales every 3 levels after 7 by 15%.
  • Into the Fray's damage scales every 3 levels after 5 by 15%.
Major Fixes
  • Fixed an issue that was causing certain quests to take experience instead of granting it.
  • Fixed a problem with chanters not being able to set their chants properly after they have retrained.
  • Fixed an issue where retraining was allowing characters to obtain unlimited skill points.
  • Using store filters now only shows the appropriate items instead of graying out other items in the store panel.
  • Fixed multiple issues with the stronghold and how it interacted with DLC content.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the main character to lose his or her background shortly after character creation.
Party/Companion AI
  • Can now enable/disable AI on multiple non-pet characters at the same time.
  • Fixed issues where AI would not automatically attack enemies.
  • Fixed issues where AI would engage enemies that were hidden by fog of war.
  • Fixed an issue where AI casters would cast per-rest abilities despite the option being turned off.
  • Fixed an issue that caused AI controlled party members to attack other party members that were charmed or confused.
  • Reviewed and updated what spells/abilities are cast in AI profiles for multiple classes.
Monsters/Enemies/NPCs
  • Multiple enemy types have been given immunities to certain afflictions.
  • These enemy types have had their bestiary updated to reflect these immunities.
  • Fixed multiple issues regarding NPC reactivity after completing certain quests
  • Fixed multiple bugs regarding Enemies/NPCs detecting stealthed characters and how they react to stealthed characters that they detect.
  • Rebalanced requirements for full bestiary unlocks for certain enemies that were not unlocking on easy difficulty.
  • Added additional bestiary information for multiple enemy types.
Abilities/Talents
  • Minor Grimoire Imprint has had multiple fixes and now works as intended.
  • Fixed an issue with the Ranger's Stalker's Link ability adding too much accuracy in some situations.
  • Fixed an issue that caused certain buffs and abilities to persist after combat ended.
  • St. Ydwen's Redeemer's Revive the Fallen ability now works correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed Chanters to choose an extra talent.
  • Fixed an issue where the debuff "Bonded Grief" would not be removed after reviving animal companions.
Quests
  • Fixed an issue with The Siege of Cragholdt that kept the quest from progressing.
  • Fixed an issue with the Grey Sleeper questline that would cause it fail after completing it.
  • Fixed multiple issues with the "Sacrificial Bloodlines" quest.
  • Fixed an issue that would break game progression after talking to Maerwald.
  • Fixed an issue that didn't allow the player to complete the game after killing Thaos.
Achievement
  • Fixed an issue with the Herald of the Old Flame achievement being awarded prematurely.
  • Fixed an issue that kept players from receiving White March Part 1 achievements.
Items
  • Fixed an issue that caused enchants to be removed when a character retrained.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed Sentinel's Girdle to be equipped in a ring slot.
  • Fixed enchantment issues with Badgradr's Barricade.
  • Fixed an issue where the draining modification on weapons would disappear.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Sabra Marie to be mis-categorized.
Localization
  • Fixed multiple issues with Korean text.

Pope Amole II

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh on White March Part 2 Changes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...d=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post451941435

Josh Sawyer said:
The 2.03 patch just went into beta (like, just now), but there's more stuff coming for the 3.0 patch that will drop concurrently with The White March Pt. II.

* New stronghold content - Stronghold adventures now actually have their proper names and mini-story premise/resolution and unique items. Visitor dilemmas that you can lord over from your throne. A small series of stronghold-specific quests and associated storyline.

* Athletics and Survival are being revised. Athletics can provide a personal heal (like 4E's Second Wind) and Survival allows individual party members to select from various bonuses when you rest in the wilderness. We just started using and tuning these, so we'll see where they wind up. However, one nice side effect will be that the Fatigue mechanic is being revised and it won't have anything to do with Athletics.

* An option for Knockout Injuries (off by default). If you want being KOd to be a bigger deal, you'll get an Injury that lasts until you rest. These include most of the Injuries from the base game that you normally get from scripted interactions (e.g. Twisted Ankle, Bruised Ribs) but also include some new damage-specific ones like Severe Burn, System Shock, and Frostbite.

* Tuning up the late game (Elmshore+) content to not only be a little harder overall, but also trigger a high-level scaling switch for people that are really amped up from The White March.

And some more stuff. Nothing that turns the world upside down, but hopefully things that people find useful. BTW the change to the traditional "Vancian" casters (wizards, priests, druids) should be in Patch 2.03. They all pick individual spells for mastery and those spells have a single bonus Per Encounter use, even if (in the case of wizards) it isn't in the currently equipped grimoire.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Female Aumaua barbarian?

Kana interactions should be amusing.
how many retroactive interactions did they add for the robot?
as I recall the companions in PoE never really quibbled with each other, they just had string inserts between PC-NPC dialogue.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey This is your time to shine.

Yessssssssssss.

Why would you link to the pdf though, that's like the stone age of e-reading.

However, one nice side effect will be that the Fatigue mechanic is being revised and it won't have anything to do with Athletics.

I hope "revised" means "removed entirely." Fatigue is so cargo cult.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom