Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Piranha Bytes has shut down, Bjorn Pankratz founds new studio

Chuck Norris

Augur
This rumor ruined my mood. PB on decline is still better than most.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Perhaps Embracer finally understood that a bunch of Polish nonames can make a better Piranha Bytes game (Archolos) than Piranha Bytes itself, so why overpay for the Germans?

I hope soon it will be announced that Archolos team is hired by Embracer to work on actual Gothic 4.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Perhaps Embracer finally understood that a bunch of Polish nonames can make a better Piranha Bytes game (Archolos) than Piranha Bytes itself, so why overpay for the Germans?

I hope soon it will be announced that Archolos team is hired by Embracer to work on actual Gothic 4.
Nope:

It's true Embracer has hit a rough patch recently, with their Saudi deal going wrong and all. They were buying studios for their IPs, to inflate their price and cash in on sweet Saudi Dollar based on their huge portfolio. The deal didn't work out, and now they need to make money, something they didn't really plan on doing.

The studios they bought? Those weren't exactly bad studios, and the IPs are ranging from decent to premium. It's just that not every studio was or is far into development of their projects, and Embracer needs to make money now.

That's why they're shrinking and axing everything that doesn't produce results. Volition is a sad victim here, unfortunately, because they were forced to make a game they knew the fans didn't want. It flopped, as expected, Volition got the axe regardless. Other studios are downsized or candidates to be sold off to make quick money or reduce costs.
(...)

The next milestones for Embracer are next month and in May, when they have to start pre-payments on their big loans, $1.62 billion to be exact. And no, that's not a typo. We're talking about 1.627 thousand millions, that's how immense the loans are. The pre-payments starting between February and May are in total $250 million.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kingdomcome/comments/198dfwm/comment/ki6lsiw/

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gothic is a console game and its shit

- cutscenes
- dumb dialogue
- janky movement/controls
- console UI
- bland factions
- MMO-tier crap loot
- boring combat

Not really. Gothic had a much better story than ELEX and was designed for mouse and keyboard. Playing ELEX is like watching a Marvel movie, it reduces IQ albeit you're good Roxor since you can't lose anymore of it.

Gothic 1 is a great game, better than Gothic 2 and *certainly* better than ELEX. Risen was never good.

Of course among these freeform exploration games with biomes, Morrowind is the best. Because it's creativity, worldbuilding and atmosphere is unmatched to this day.

Arthandas

Prophet
>Piranha Bytes closes down
>Larian manages to become the retard king of RPG development
>Jews are genociding Palestinians while the world watches in silence
It's not so much that this is the worst timeline, it's that we're descending into Hell.
The Gorasul review is clearly one of the omens.

SlamDunk

Arcane
Gothic [...] was designed for mouse and keyboard.
I remember reading from some interview that Gothic actually started out as a console game. Mouse and keyboard support was added in later during development when it switched into a PC game, which shows in how the game controls.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember reading from some interview that Gothic actually started out as a console game. Mouse and keyboard support was added in later during development when it switched to a PC game, which shows in how the game controls.

It's certainly possible. But there is no question that it's far better than ELEX.

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
Gothic ... was designed for mouse and keyboard
It wasn't. The control scheme is designed to work around standard PS1 controller, with some early press releases saying the control are just 14 buttons.

It was explicitly limited by the restraints put on it by consoles, it's just that it outgrew their capabilities that caused it to be a PC game. The best you can say about the control scheme is that it was designed for keyboard(not mouse)

Dodo1610

Arcane
I remember reading from some interview that Gothic actually started out as a console game. Mouse and keyboard support was added in later during development when it switched into a PC game, which shows in how the game controls.
We have the official pitch documents from 1997. Though back then Gothic was still planned as a PC dungeon crawler, console port and online multiplayer were planned but dropped due to technical limitations.

lbyD1AH.png

Maybe better this way. Piranha Bytes haven't produced anything worthwile since Risen (1). They guys from Archolos understood better what Gothic was about.

BruceVC

Magister
As found on reddit, the weekly videos on PBs youtube channel are no longer published and their website shows only their logo. Should we be concerned?
I sincerely hope its not true, I love PB and all there games

We need confirmation from PB and some kind of official statement. Codex drama and conspiracy theories is not enough to believe this terrible news

ferratilis

Magister
Thanks for some of the best experiences in gaming I ever had: Gothic 1 and 2, Risen 1, and Elex 1. RIP.

goregasm

Scholar
A damn shame if it true. I never got into the PB cult but enjoyed most of what they made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom