Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Piranha Bytes has shut down, Bjorn Pankratz founds new studio

DesolationStone

Educated
Die Dämmerung der Videospiele :negative:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They had so many chances given to them, undeservedly so. Their last good game was in 2003 and it was an expansion. 20 years of mediocre to outright terrible game releases, and people are surprised they might be shut down?

2001GothicMicrosoft Windows
2002Gothic IIMicrosoft Windows
2003Gothic II: Night of the RavenMicrosoft Windows
2006Gothic 3Microsoft Windows
2009RisenMicrosoft Windows, Xbox 360
2012Risen 2: Dark WatersMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
2014Risen 3: Titan LordsMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360
2017ELEXMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
2022ELEX IIMicrosoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Mogged so hard by modders it's over for germcellz

over.png

over-2.png
Is elex that bad?

Cause Archolos is shiiiit. Overwhelmingly overrated.

The last time I had hope for PB was when they learnt their lesson from Gothic 3 with Risen. No big open worlds, focus on small regions, quests and atmosphere. Also, the setting was promising and I hoped they did just their Gothic 2 again with building upon their strengths. But Risen 2 was weird and disappointing. Since then, no hope was left and they never reached the height of night of the raven. Elex was okayish, but too big.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Risen is a very pretty shell, made by people who forgot how to make quest seamlessly integrated in the world.

It's gamey, silly and it's not Gothic.

It's better than Archolos though. I have about 45 minutes in Archolos and like 3 hours in Risen.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Risen is a very pretty shell, made by people who forgot how to make quest seemlesly integrated in the world.

It's gamey, silly and it's not Gothic.

It's bettet than Archolos though. I have about 45 minutes in Archolos and like 3 hours in Risen.
Which just further proves that you have shit taste.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's you guys claiming those subpar attempts at recreating the greatest games ever, are good enough.

Decline enablers.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Mogged so hard by modders it's over for germcellz

over.png

over-2.png
Why can't they just go retro like this?
Japanese have found a way to harness retro-ness....
same reason why you don't get good games from same studios that delivered good games before
good and competent developers being replaced by bunch of incompetent dorks doing whatever barely works and makes no sense in smaller scare and grand scheme of things
Fresh blood is spoiled and brings nothing to the table

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
From a business standpoint, not returning to Gothic with the resurged interest after Archolos and a 'remake' of G1 in the works seems pretty stupid. People would D1P that shit en masse no matter how bad it would be.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Todd Howard devastates his competition once again, this time in sci-fi setting.

Starfield's acclaimed success and perfection leads to realization how disappointing ELEXes were to the point PB bankrupts and closes in shame.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
From a business standpoint, not returning to Gothic with the resurged interest after Archolos and a 'remake' of G1 in the works seems pretty stupid. People would D1P that shit en masse no matter how bad it would be.

Dumb and purely patriotic take

ELEX was a failure, no one "dipped" ELEX 2 and no one would "dip" ELEX 3

About Archolos, you have to understand this is a fucking mod, you brainiac. That's like saying TR would cause a resurged interest in Morrowind lmao

Just be thankful for Gothic 1-2 and let this mediocre company die, it's been a long time

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They already tried to do it with Risen. A game which many people liked but let's face it was way more janky than Gothic 2.
I understand that people see G2 as the better and more culty game than R1 (so do I), but "way more janky"? I mean, compare the UI and controls between them.

Kiste

Augur
I never understood why they didn't return to smaller scale games with constant high quality, something of the size of Gothic 1 or between Gothic 1 and 2 would have been perfect. Gothic 3 was already way too large for them, its a shame that they didn't learn their lesson for good back then.

They did? Risen was a much smaller and less ambitious game than Gothic 3.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Nothing they released even came close to being half as good as Gothic 1&2.

Elex should have been the nail that finished PB, a shit show of a game with no redeeming qualities... But no, the fuckers got the chance to make an even worse game, elex 2.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Elex 1 was a shitty game. I don't know how I can take seriously a game that is a mixture of all the popular settings that don't fit together at all. So we have medieval warriors with magic fighting post-apocalyptic bandits and futuristic soldiers with plasma weapons.
Seriously?
I'm not saying that you can't combine extremely different settings.
I really like The Lord of the Ice Garden, where the author combined typical fantasy with a science fiction background in an interesting way.
So if you want, you can do it well, but it's definitely not done this way.

By some damn miracle, Elex 2 is even worse than Elex 1 in almost every way.
The game even looks worse in terms of graphics. It's the first time I've seen something like this.

The last good game was Risen 1 and the game was good until the end of the 2nd act. After that, the game quickly became shitty.
How come they had a good combat system in Risen 1 and created something so retarded in other games?

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm going to die laughing when it turns out that this remake will be better than anything the germans have created in the last 20 years (it's not a high level).

harhar!

Augur

Dumb and purely patriotic take

ELEX was a failure, no one "dipped" ELEX 2 and no one would "dip" ELEX 3

About Archolos, you have to understand this is a fucking mod, you brainiac. That's like saying TR would cause a resurged interest in Morrowind lmao

Just be thankful for Gothic 1-2 and let this mediocre company die, it's been a long time
Interestingly, more people are playing Gothic than ever before on Steam:

https://steamcharts.com/app/39510#All

Compare with ELEX and ELEX II:

https://steamcharts.com/app/411300#All

https://steamcharts.com/app/900040#All

Probably some of the increase is people's disks being destroyed and them repurchasing the games on Steam. I still find it remarkable that a 20+ year old game still has solid and rising interest, while their game from 2 years ago flatlined. It's also remarkable that a mod for a 20+ year old game can generate more interest than a recent release.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No doubt a whole lot of people have picked up Gothic 2 on sale for pennies over the years. Years later, a mod comes out and gets some positive buzz. Mods are free. Suddenly, big numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom