Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware [Play-by-post] Lamentations in Averoigne

nikolokolus

Arcane
Of course we can also skip ahead to the resolution of whatever amounts of the inquiry and pick up the action from there. Spoiler warning: none of the troupe is implicated if that makes a difference.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Ganelon's eyes widen at the amount of wealth on display. "We must share this with the troop. We may have all lost our livelihood with Horatio's passing and I cannot countenance leaving our companions destitute. With luck we will have time to investigate the notebook. You're all welcome to observe if the opportunity presents itself. But, it is late and it seems we will need our wits about us come the morrow...nobility... is coming. I bid you all a good and safe night!" Ganelon retires to his room, conducts his nightly, and catches what sleep he may.
Keeping the cash is too much of a dick move. The mummers earned it and replacement characters with extra dosh is a good idea. I'll take every opportunity to repair and read the notebook. As noted, any in the party are welcome to share in the investigation.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vandal heads to sleep. This talk of investigation and interrogations and inquisition is far beyond his ken. Certainly well beyond the reach of his patience. Under the influence of a pleasant vintage, he falls into a comfortable sleep.
Yeah give everyone their dues.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Daphne does not partake in the discussion about the deatils of distributing the unexpected wealth. For a while, she continues to ponder silently over the ceramic inscription's copy she made, then gets up and retreats to her chamber.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Of course we can also skip ahead to the resolution of whatever amounts of the inquiry and pick up the action from there. Spoiler warning: none of the troupe is implicated if that makes a difference.

If there's little impact to be made I'd be happy to skip the interrogations.

Madeline

Literate
Maddie looks like she'd like to raise some points regarding the money, but once everyone seems to agree to distribute it evenly, she also agrees. Uncharacteristically for her, she retires to her bed early, being too exhausted by the events of the evening.

I'm also OK with skipping to the next point, if we're not implicated.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If there's little impact to be made I'd be happy to skip the interrogations.
Besides, Vandal might get arrested for talking too much.

L'ennui

Magister
Guillemin finishes his drink and starts yawning more and more frequently. "Unless we plan on skipping town and leaving both the local authorities and the rest of the troupe behind, it would be wiser to share the coins and go along with this hearing. Personally, I don't want more people searching for me with a vengeance."

I'm OK with being presented with a summary of the hearings as well.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The six company members retire one by one to their bunks and sleep fitfully that night . . .

Late the next morning, while they break their fast and nurse their hangovers in the common room of the Cock & Strumpet, Gilles shuffles in and doffs his wide-brimmed hat and holds it in his hands a little nervously before slightly bowing to Jean-Baptiste who is leaning heavily on the bar top, with his fingers pressed into his temples. A pretty young serving girl, Estelle, speaks with a deliberately over-loud voice causing everyone in the room to groan, "Allo Gilles! Come in and and take a seat!" She bellows. She turns and flashes a mirthful wink at your tables before skipping off to the kitchen.

Gilles ambles over and fidgets with his hat in his hands and coughs a little nervously, "Madams and monsieurs. Bonjour. It appears that Sieur Guy is indisposed this morning and won't be available for another four days. As such it falls to me to conduct whatever investigation I can. It should relieve you to know that the honorable Jean-Baptiste has vouched for your whereabouts at the time of the killing; that the room was securely locked and that there had only been mere minutes before you all rousted from your sleep and entered your former master's bed chamber. You are all free of suspicion as far as I am concerned. Additionally, Monsieur DuPont now has possession of the body and has been conducting whatever tests and examinations he can since dawn. There is only a little that we have discovered thus far. Prior Guillaume sanctified the body last night, and if any evil spirit dwelt within the corpse of you master, he assures me it would be purged by his ministrations. Strangely, the body bore no marks or obvious signs of injury. In any event Monsieur DuPont should be done with his examination in a few hours. At that time you may collect the body and bury him wherever and in whatever manner you deem best, though the Prior has informed me that he is offering a plot in the Priory's graveyard should you wish to lay him to rest there. As unsatisfactory as this must seem, that is all we know."

"As for the matter of the 'black vapor', you claimed to see in the suite, Prior Guillaume could find no record of any such thing in the records at the Priory. He has suggested to me that it may be time to notify the Bishop of Vyones and to seek the aid of the Holy Inquisition. I have asked him to delay that request for the time being." He looks at you through his rheumy eyes and pauses, seemiingly uncertain of what to say next, before continuing, "Some of you mentioned last night a willingness to investigate the manner of your master's death. Some of you seem to be men of action who appear to have experience with . . . well, whatever this is; particularly you Crusader" he looks at Ganelon. "I cannot guarantee that Sieur de Moncrief will reward you for finding the culprit of this murder, but Jean-Baptiste, Prior Guillaume and I have spoken and we all agree that we will find some way to compensate you for your trouble, should you find the killer. A man I know, a hunter by the name of Jacques is willing to guide you into the marshes if you wish it. His services are free of charge to you for a week, as I have deputized him and will cover his expenses. After that if you wish to employ him further, that is for you to negotiate with him." And with that, Gilles bows curtly and departs the inn.

The following day, Marcel DuPont concludes his examination and releases the body of Horatio to the company. He finds no evidence of poison, no obvious means of exsanguination, and can offer no definitive hypothesis about what seemed to suck every last drop of moisture from his body, leaving him for all intents and purposes mummified. The following day a small funeral is held in the village cemetery behind the Norbertine Priory and Horatio's body is laid to its final rest. After the service, you six distribute the rest of the wages owed to the other players, performers, guards and drovers and with no other obvious prospects they ask and are granted permission by the village elders to remain in the village for a time while they consider their next steps.

The day after the funeral, a rough looking man, with a weathered face and a fierce black beard, wearing heavily stained boots, dark leathers and a forester's cloak approaches you in the common room of the Cock & Strumpet and introduces himself as Jacques Trouseau. He says that whenever you are ready he can guide you into the marsh and answer any questions you might have about some of the wildlands in the immediate vicinity of Les Hiboux.
At this point you all have some meta stuff to decide:
  • I need you guys to elect someone (or have a volunteer) to be the Leader. This person is responsible for rolling initiative for the group in combat, and is the "face" for reaction rolls with NPCs that you encounter. Also, if there is a group decision to be made, they will relay whatever you all agree to . . . this is mostly about keeping exploration directions crystal clear, so I'm not having to keep track of six slightly different or diverging plans. The leadership position doesn't have to be permanent; it can be handed off or rotated.
  • You need a Mapper/treasurer. This person will keep tabs on group's treasure (there's a handout on Roll20 that you'll have editing access to) and their character is the one making a dungeon map (so you need to have pen & ink, paper, etc. in your character's inventory). I have a handout that will show a snapshot of the explored areas in the dungeon that will grow and change as you guys progress and it is something that you (and any other players) can annotate. Just remember, that if the map is lost or destroyed (or all copies are lost) everything goes back to black.
  • Both of these thankless jobs will earn your character +10% EXP.
  • Also, decide what your marching order is both single file (your outdoor movement typically) or when two-abreast (typically while in the dungeon).
When you guys enter combat I'll create a scratch battlemap that we'll drop into, so everyone should be able to have a clear frame of reference.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
What was Vincent's share of the lucre?

He might invest in some additional equipment before setting out.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Either Ganelon or Madeline ought to be the face, but I'm okay with whoever takes the lead. Not Vandal. As for marching obviously you put the ugliest asshole you got in front so that at least 30% of the things coming your way to worsen your day,(tax collectors, thieves and all the other ne'er do wells) may, run screaming away.

nikolokolus

Arcane
FYI: 60 silver deniers for everyone (but no XP). Someone will need to tell me what you do with the banknotes, and I assume Madeline kept the jeweled stiletto for herself?

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
The day after the funeral, a rough looking man, with a weathered face and a fierce black beard, wearing heavily stained boots, dark leathers and a forester's cloak approaches you in the common room of the Cock & Strumpet and introduces himself as Jacques Trouseau
Vandal observes the man offering his services as a guide.
He looks over him in an effort to descry Jacques' worth as a forester, and whether there were chances he would lead them astray. Were the man's gear the result of trudging though hill and vale, heather and dale, or merely woebegone garment and garbage lifted from the nearest pile of refuse in order to deceive the motley group here? The marsh may not be Vandal's stomping grounds, but the untamed wilderness leaves its mark on all that tread its path after all.

Pretty long winded way of saying Vandal makes an attempting at perceiving the legitimacy of this TrouserJack fella. edit: not legitimacy per se but more like understanding his level of skill.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ganelon has the stuff to be the mapkeeper. He'll take the leader role if the group wants, but charm isn'this greatest strength. In the wilds/dungeon he might serve as leader, but in civilization, I'm sure there is a better option for face of the party.

How much progress do we make with Horatio's notebook in the time that has passed?

To the group, do we want to take 'precautions' with Horatio's body before burial?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Ganelon has the stuff to be the mapkeeper. He'll take the leader role if the group wants, but charm isn'this greatest strength. In the wilds/dungeon he might serve as leader, but in civilization, I'm sure there is a better option for face of the party.

How much progress do we make with Horatio's notebook in the time that has passed?

To the group, do we want to take 'precautions' with Horatio's body before burial?
I think we should burn it entire so no one comes back for it. Just inter the ashes.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would volunteer for treasury and mapping if Ganelon rather wants to be the leader.

Daphne is more of a backline kind of girl. Last, or second-to-last spot would be appropriate.

Also, I have Wolvesbane in the Inventory... but it is nowhere described what it does. Can Poison be made out of it?

Is there a way to buy healing draughts in this town?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent would see his old employer have an honest burial, though if all the cost falls to him he would probably reconsider...

• Vincent rigged up some cheap armour from common items available from local trader to the value of 5sp. (14 AC, +4 enc)
  • Vincent shall fight from second rank with his fauchard if possible.
  • As this is my first game I'm happy to leave the mapping and leadership to others.

Madeline

Literate
Madeline stares at Estelle's cheeks as she scutters off to the kitchen with a sedated yet lustful look before refocusing on the Bailiff. What he says makes sense to her, and she nods rather intensively when the idea of delaying the help of the inquisition briefly becomes a topic. And when the topic of compensation comes up, her eyes light up with a visible spark.

The news of no discernable reason for Horatio's passing are no longer news to her; through the nearly sleepless night, she figured this mystery was beyond anyone's wage out of the people present; it was something bad, that was for sure, and all she needed to know.

At the funeral, she holds a silent vigil, before Horatio's body descends into its grave - that's when she steps up, her bejewelled outfit covered in a black cloak.

"Horatio was... a passionate man. This can be said of anyone, but with our Principal, the words rang truer than with most; as much as we may have been confused with his latest obsession, none of us in the troupe can say we were not witness to the fact that, whatever his quest was, he was dedicated to it fully - and for as long as I remember, that quest was to keep us all clothed, fed, and earning. Whatever brought him here, those of us who followed him so far owe it to the man to follow through, as well. In honor of Horatio, I've decided to offer my leadership to a group of us who've decided to track down Horatio's killer. With Vandal's strength, Vincent's skill, Ganelon's piety, Guillemin's clever fingers and Daphne's..." there is a brief pause, "medicinal... knowledge..., we are sure to chase and enact revenge on whoever, or whatever, has drained the life from out friend and employer. Not only that, but we would be performing a service to Les Hiboux as well, preventing the unknown danger from feeding on its denizens as well. With God's Will," she muses, completely unaware if it's theologically correct, "we'll succeed, lift whatever cursed being has descended upon these lands, and hopefully, make the world a little better by a small act of bravery and courage! If any of you would deem yourselves ready to pull the chestnuts from the fire yourselves, be it in the name of Horatio, or in protecting your home village, you are more than welcome to join us in arms, just find me after the ceremony. With that, I bid thee farewell, Monsieur Horatio, mon ami, mon frère."

She then drops a single tulip, or any other flower she could've snipped off of a garden on the way to the burial site, onto the gravemound.

With her speech out of the way, Maddie hopes to recruit some basic villagemen mercenaries at about half their rate, hoping she'd roused them into accepting less silver than normally expected of infantry in order to defend their village.

Maddie's naturally inclined to take a leadership role, and I'm OK with conveying the party's will through her to the world

In either marching orders, Madeline would insist on being as far back as possible, and boldly encourages Vandal and the second most strong-looking man to take the lead alongside the primitive.

I had a long post in my mind before we decided to skip some time regarding the bank scrips; Maddie will try to find a place or person in the village to store them safely in an envelope, claiming they are letters from the party to their relatives should they perish. If there is such a place, she'll pay some small fee to the holder of the documents to only hand them out to members of the party should they return with the claim that the rest has died; with Daphne and Vincent as priority (Madeline as priority should she survive, of course). If the entire party dies, the holder is to hand the "letters" out to whoever decides to follow the party's footsteps (i.e. our replacement characters if we TPK).

And yes, she keeps the ornate dagger for herself, creating a makeshift sheath for it with a rag or piece of cloth so that it doesn't cut her while concealed in her long boots.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Ganelon should be in the middle of the marching order where he can reach anyone in need of healing.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Vincent "Chevalier d'étain" Cadieux shall reluctantly enter the vanguard then, since we are lacking fighting bodies.

nikolokolus

Arcane
OK. So I think we've got a volunteer for leader (Madeline) and it sounds like either Grimgravy or Snorkack are up for the job of treasurer (the mapping role is really more about tracking which character is performing the task, not being forced to actually record a map) so I'll let you two figure out who wants to do what or I can assign someone randomly if you both really want the responsibility.

Here's the marching order as I understand it. Let me know if you want it adjusted. The five feet in-between each rank is there to make it easier to discern names, it's not a hard and fast distance.
mD0LZyV.png

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps we collaborate on the mapping and so both have copies? As for treasurer, I have no strong preference. I'm open to sharing the role too if it's an option.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Perhaps we collaborate on the mapping and so both have copies? As for treasurer, I have no strong preference. I'm open to sharing the role too if it's an option.
The mapper role is more of about keeping track of which character is holding the map; that can be done by whomever, but if your characters are double-mapping in the dungeon, it will decrease your exploration rate; i.e. reduce the efficiency of light sources, and increase the rate of random encounter checks. But ideally, one person should manage tracking group treasure

Madeline asks around the village and Prior Guillaume agrees to safeguard your "letters" and pass them along to their designated recipients should the need arise. If you need money or other valuables stored, there is a jeweler and money launderer lender by the name of Jakob Meyer who has a vault. He will rent space in the vault and insure the security of your objects for the low, low price of 240 silver pieces or 5% of the value of the goods per year; whichever is higher (prorated, with a minimum term of 1 month).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom