Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters

Duraframe300

Arcane
The only thing I install is yup and maybe jsawyer.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Whenever you see NV modding guides that recommend oodles of mods, most of it is unnecessary retextures, or maybe quest mods. The only things I think you really "need" are the bug fixes and JSawyer rebalance mod. People get in the habit of using 100+ mods because you actually need that to make Skyrim good, but you don't need that for NV.

Terenty

Liturgist
Whenever you see NV modding guides that recommend oodles of mods, most of it is unnecessary retextures, or maybe quest mods. The only things I think you really "need" are the bug fixes and JSawyer rebalance mod. People get in the habit of using 100+ mods because you actually need that to make Skyrim good, but you don't need that for NV.

Is there a mod to bring back writers from the original Fallout?

And another one to mute all the "voice acting"?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Is there a mod to bring back writers from the original Fallout?

And another one to mute all the "voice acting"?
You can mute the voices in the settings, though I'm not sure why you'd want to. Most of it is at least fine, with some of it being great. I'm going to go on record and say that New Vegas is better written than Fallout 2.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Y'all are missing out, New Vegas has a lot of worthwhile mods. Other than JSawyer, almost all of my mods here are either bugfixes or restored content:

ypj59Ct.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played NV before playing Fallout 1. Having heard this game is a worthy successor to Fallout i thought to myself after finishing it "why the fuck is Fallout considered to be this masterpiece if this game(NV) is a complete snorefest. The brothers of steel are boring and dont make sense, the Khans are a bunch of pushovers and their leader is not intimidating at all, etc. Just from a fictional and lore perspective this world is fucking stupid."

Then i decided to play Fallout 1 and became a fan instantly. The writing, the fiction, the factions,the characters, the Glow everything was cool and logical. The premise too, unlike fucking NV.

That's because New Vegas isn't a successor to Fallout at all.

It's a successor to Fallout 2. It was made by largely the same people who made Fallout 2 - which already was a different team to the guys who made the original. Cain, Boyarsky, Anderson left Interplay to found Troika after Fallout 1. The people who made Fallout 2 are not the people who made Fallout 1. At Obsidian, there were a lot of people who had worked at Interplay when Fallout 2 was made, and they also worked on New Vegas.

The tone, the writing, the silly elements of the setting, it's all Fallout 2 through and through. Same tone, same kind of worldbuilding. The first two Fallout games are very different in tone, and New Vegas perfectly captures Fallout 2.

Quillon

Arcane

Duraframe300

Arcane
I played NV before playing Fallout 1. Having heard this game is a worthy successor to Fallout i thought to myself after finishing it "why the fuck is Fallout considered to be this masterpiece if this game(NV) is a complete snorefest. The brothers of steel are boring and dont make sense, the Khans are a bunch of pushovers and their leader is not intimidating at all, etc. Just from a fictional and lore perspective this world is fucking stupid."

Then i decided to play Fallout 1 and became a fan instantly. The writing, the fiction, the factions,the characters, the Glow everything was cool and logical. The premise too, unlike fucking NV.

It's a successor to Fallout 2. It was made by largely the same people who made Fallout 2 - which already was a different team to the guys who made the original. Cain, Boyarsky, Anderson left Interplay to found Troika after Fallout 1. The people who made Fallout 2 are not the people who made Fallout 1. At Obsidian, there were a lot of people who had worked at Interplay when Fallout 2 was made, and they also worked on New Vegas.

The tone, the writing, the silly elements of the setting, it's all Fallout 2 through and through. Same tone, same kind of worldbuilding. The first two Fallout games are very different in tone, and New Vegas perfectly captures Fallout 2.

Eh, imo its somewhere in between. It was nowhere near as silly as F2 got at times. And even the silly things got a lot darker than F2 took them. Also much less pop culture refrences.

Codex Year of the Donut

Eh, imo its somewhere in between. It was nowhere near as silly as F2 got at times. And even the silly things got a lot darker than F2 took them. Also much less pop culture refrences.
Come Fly With Me

Duraframe300

Arcane

Come Fly With Me

Yeah, doesn't even come close to talking deathclaws and co.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist

Fallout NV has the benefit of having Wild Wastelands Trait tho. Most pop culture references are locked behind that.

Trashos

Arcane
All NV needs is the JSawyer mod (which would have been vanilla, if NV didn't need to sell to millions of retards), and a couple of bug fixes. When people here complain about graphics and textures, you realize that whatever issue exists is not with the game.

EDIT: The reason why most people play with 200 mods is twofold: a) Several millions of players. WTF did you expect, and b) Why the fuck not. It is not needed though.

Terenty

Liturgist

I couldn't bear playing Fallout 2 past the first village, but if NV'd gone full retard like F2 it at least would've been more memorable.

Codex Year of the Donut
All NV needs is the JSawyer mod (which would have been vanilla, if NV didn't need to sell to millions of retards), and a couple of bug fixes. When people here complain about graphics and textures, you realize that whatever issue exists is not with the game.
The people in FNV don't even look human, they look like slightly higher resolution Oblivion abominations.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
While it's true that NV > FO 3-4, anything post-Tactics doesn't have the spirit of Fallout. On its own NV is decent, but The Gay Worlds won't even be that.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While it's true that NV > FO 3-4, anything post-Tactics doesn't have the spirit of Fallout. On its own NV is decent, but The Gay Worlds won't even be that.

Come on, tactics doesn’t have the spirit of Fallout, it has the mechanics of Fallout.

Quillon

Arcane
While it's true that NV > FO 3-4, anything post-Fallout 1 doesn't have the spirit of Fallout. On its own NV is decent, but The Gay Worlds won't even be that.

fixed

Not even that, anything post Fallout's demo doesn't have.. no, anything post Wasteland 1 doesn't have Fallout spirit. Oooh how prestigious have I become with this statement now I wonder!? Heck, it doesn't even matter when its creator stated that he loved NV, who does he think he is?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Anything I saw of TOW, from the dialogues, the character design to the combat doesn't really inspire me.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Y'all are missing out, New Vegas has a lot of worthwhile mods. Other than JSawyer, almost all of my mods here are either bugfixes or restored content:

ypj59Ct.png

The Strip/Freeside Open make the city of New Vegas so much better it's not even funny.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And FNV is shit, everyone plays with 200+ mods.

Moreover: what do those 200 mods do? I know for sure the first thing I would mod out of Baldur's Gate 2 are the retarded looking portraits. And sure enough, Baldur's Gate 2 has hundreds of portrait mods, all of them just as shitty, which goes to show quantity means nothing in the case of BG2.

I don't have any problem admitting I use many mods in New Vegas. But the truth is the vast majority of them only mod nitpicks I have with the game, and are by no means "must haves".

New Vegas was pretty good overall, though I would hesitate to put it among the all-time greats. First, the combat absolutely had to be modded to be enjoyable. Second, the exploration aspects were severely hindered by the quest compasses/markers. The quest structure itself was very often the modern list of tiny tasks. Go here, go there, do this, be a good errand boy.

Other than that, the game had a great setting, very well done writing, cool characters, lots of C&C, and once modded was fairly enjoyable.

If the Outer Worlds can manage to play like New Vegas without hitpoint bloat and slightly better exploration/quest structure, I would be very pleased.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom