Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Prisonscape - a prison RPG

Discussion in 'Prisonscape' started by JudasIscariot, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Cosmic Misogynerd Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
    Are you like this IRL?

^ Top  
  2. PekkaK Heaviest Matter Developer

PekkaK
    That's an old screenshot. Those skill names were originally meant to be as placeholders, since there's no point in showing all the ranks of one skill. Here's a more recent one:

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  3. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    No one pointed out that he thought Nuestra Familia was an Italian prison gang? There's literally a sombrero there.

^ Top  
  4. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Nope, not italian, actually spanish for "Our Family".
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  5. palmito Educated

palmito
    Still missing the arguments of those who hate java. And why the game would be worse with java?

^ Top  
  6. vmode Heaviest Matter Developer

vmode
    You pretty much nailed it. Especially Java applets were problematic (and still are, security wise) back in the day. These days Java is a mature platform and it's up to the programmer to make sure the game is optimized properly.

That being said, Java will be bundled with Prisonscape so the end user doesn't have to deal with installing or updating Java.

^ Top  
  7. PekkaK Heaviest Matter Developer

PekkaK
    We've started working on the battle system, here's a short work-in-progress GIF of how it currently looks:

[​IMG]

We have also decided to implement the "card system" that Lhynn suggested in here.

^ Top  
  8. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    I like how visceral it is, but the blood spraying in the wrong direction makes it look a bit odd.

^ Top  
  9. funkadelik Arcane

funkadelik
    The cigarette butts on the ground is a very nice touch!

^ Top  
  10. PekkaK Heaviest Matter Developer

PekkaK
    It has been a while since our last update, mostly because we've been doing stuff "under the hood", mostly coding and scripting. We've done a little overhaul on the graphics, though, and here are some GIFs as a proof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically we just added more contrast to everything to make it really "pop out", and it also gave the game a more grittier look. Of course we are still far away from done and the environment looks really static. More inmates need to be added and they need to do something (talk to each other, play dominos, etc.) and the environment also needs some movement like flies flying around the garbage bins, rats running around TV's showing soap operas.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Looks pretty fucking good, is someone in charge of the music/sounds in the game? Also will you be able to cross someone elses grid? ally grid, enemy grid, etc?

^ Top  
  12. Yes. Arcane Patron

Yes.
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm guessing that 'Cum on his face' isn't in the cards.

I kid. I've always had this weird infatuation with prison settings in video games, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. vmode Heaviest Matter Developer

vmode
    Hey Lhynn, sorry for the late reply.

You can hear some samples here https://soundcloud.com/kc_portman/prisonscape-soundtrack-teaser.

I'll probably start implementing the grid in the beginning of next year, so we'll see how the grid falls into place. For now we've been trying to get the alpha ready, i.e. finishing all the stuff you can do in the County Jail.

Did Pekka contact you about alpha testing yet?

^ Top  
  14. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    He told me a few months ago he would let me know, next week my vacations start and i should have free time!

^ Top  
  15. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    :0/5:

^ Top  
  16. PekkaK Heaviest Matter Developer

PekkaK
    We came up with some new features for the battle in the game. Basically we want most of the fights to have consequences, there's more details in this blog post:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/prisonscape/news/fighting-and-consequences

The game will be quite heavy on dialogue (not as much as Torment but still a lot), do you think this is a good or bad thing? Let's assume that the dialogue is well-written and interesting.

^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Lots of good dialogue ain't never a bad thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Looks p. good. You going to make different scenarios for the interrogation? thatd give it a little variety.
    And how do you escape a fight? will it rely on skill, stats, luck, all of it?

And about alert level, you should have an idea of how alerts the guards are, even if you cant tell exactly what level it is. maybe a verbose explanation detailing their behavior that would apply to different levels.

^ Top  
  19. This game could be an AoD killer. What do you guys think?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Yes. Arcane Patron

Yes.
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good idea about combat. I'm assuming it doesn't get too tedious, and that combat doesn't have to happen too often.

I agree that the more good dialogue, the better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Or it might just gang up on it in the shower and buttrape, time will tell.

^ Top  
  22. PekkaK Heaviest Matter Developer

PekkaK
    Yes there will be different interrogation scenarios depending on various factors, including the player's stats, skills, any random events that are active and maybe even the guards who are interrogating.

Agility, intelligence, fighting skill, the layout of the grid, enemy and any special effects that are in play.

We will probably use a GTA style star system ranging from 1 to 5 "alarm lights".

^ Top  
  23. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Have you considered a less explicit alert level? As in, no GTA style lights or anything, but some comment by some inmate when you ask him how things are, e.g.-
    Player: How're things?
    With possible responses being-
    Convict: Things are quiet.
    Convict: A beat up here or there, same old.
    Convict: Things aren't looking good. The guards're getting jumpy.
    etc.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Yes. Arcane Patron

Yes.
    Are there going to be drug lines in the prison?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. veryalien Educated Patron

veryalien
    Codex 2014
    I'm in like flynn. I actually always thought a Prison game has not been done before and you guys did it :)

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.