Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not subtle enough, St. Toxic :killit:

St. Toxic

Arcane
"Oh, and Project Eternity "will have guns", Cain told me, "but we are not going into their details right now".

Which makes it an excellent candidate for a 3'rd person shooter type rpg, as I've been saying all along. Don't get me wrong, I like the more tactical type of rpg such as TOEE, but it also requires tb combat, which PE doesn't have, and fully customizable parties /alt. big follower pool. If the combat is going to be some shitty BG/IWD/PST spin-off, which everyone agrees was not the big selling point of these games, then great romance options and a well written story might get lost in the murky swamp of boring combat encounters. Better to make combat a more enjoyable and interactive experience, perhaps borrow a page from more combat-focused games like Diablo 3 or various moba games?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
kaizoku
Sadly, I don't mod RPGD anymore. Ask any of the mods that do (their names are in the forum description).

Dantus12

Educated
"Oh, and Project Eternity "will have guns", Cain told me, "but we are not going into their details right now".

Which makes it an excellent candidate for a 3'rd person shooter type rpg, as I've been saying all along. Don't get me wrong, I like the more tactical type of rpg such as TOEE, but it also requires tb combat, which PE doesn't have, and fully customizable parties /alt. big follower pool. If the combat is going to be some shitty BG/IWD/PST spin-off, which everyone agrees was not the big selling point of these games, then great romance options and a well written story might get lost in the murky swamp of boring combat encounters. Better to make combat a more enjoyable and interactive experience, perhaps borrow a page from more combat-focused games like Diablo 3 or various moba games?

Frankly I don't care.
I'm somewhat burned with guns due to Risen 2, and that was a completely different scale and scope. Still waiting on this in a more cautious but optimistic manner. I'm not someone that desperately opposes the advantages of the moderne, it would be nice to make a transition in to beautiful art, technical graphics and options for those that want RT and TB without turning both to shit.
Also the idea of iso or top down camera never made a RPG. It's a lousy form of compromising , either it looks half way decent from the distance and shit up close or even has no up close interactivity at all, or it looks great up close but has no distance. I think that skills and stats make tactics not the debris on some roof.
--------------

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity

Cover shooter mechanics could also be implemented into the isometric perspective, creating greater accessibility, and paving the way for a console port and more Kickstarter moneys.

MCA
I just hope that if they go for pre-rendered 3D for 2D backgrounds again, they export the scenes at varying resolutions for maximum compatibility and comfort and also with future in mind. Or maybe release the source scenes at some point in future.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
They need to make sexier updates and present them with graphics and shit, that's what most of the people likes.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
If this turns to be another Jagged Alliance military papamole shitbird game, i`m out.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Tags: J. E. Sawyer; Project Eternity

Character Creation
At a minimum, players will be able to specify their main character's name, sex, class, race (including subrace), culture, traits, ability scores, portrait, and the fundamental starting options of his or her class (gear, skills, and talents). We have not worked out customization details of character avatars, but we believe those are important and will be updating on these specifics in the future.​
Your Party
The maximum party size is the player's main character (PC) and up to five companions for a total of six characters. This does not preclude the addition of temporary characters in special circumstances. Companions are never forced on the player. Players can explore the entire world and its story on their own if they so choose. We feel companions are excellent sounding boards for the player's (and other companions') actions, but the story is ultimately about the player's personal conflict among the larger social and political complexities of the world.​
The Set-Up
The player witnesses an extraordinary and horrific supernatural event that thrusts them into a unique and difficult circumstance. Burdened with the consequences of this event, the player has to investigate what has happened in order to free themselves from the restless forces that follow and haunt them wherever they go.​

There's more though, so make sure to read the entire Kickstarter update.

The update also included this piece of character concept art:

At last they did, what they needed to do from the beginning. :thumbsup:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Cover shooter mechanics could also be implemented into the isometric perspective, creating greater accessibility, and paving the way for a console port and more Kickstarter moneys.

Sure -- MoW, CoH (having a similar rt combat system to PE) already had something like that, but for Codex Console Credz I'd say iso and mouse-support needs to go. Gear it more towards 360 compability and 1st/3rd person. Just imagine slicing a dwarf in two with an execution move while he's busy reloading his musket. Soul magic also kind of reminds me of Demon's souls, which was a great crpg for its time and well worth emulating. How about, every time you kill an enemy it charges your soul gage which works instead of mana, and the more souls you have the stronger the spell?

What was their selling point, then? Apart frm PST. Graphics whoring?

Among other things. Graphics, story, romanceable npcs, c&c. IWD tried being more of a Diablo clone in a d&d context, and that never really worked out -- mainly because the combat simply wasn't as accessible.

EG

Nullified
[aesthetics] Plain 3D models look like PlayDough figurines. While this simplifies development and reduces cost, it looks like shit. They seem incapable of the necessary resolution to make them look awesome.

Games with 2d background look 10 times better then any 3d can dream, hand drawn art ftw.

Typical Codex graphics whore response. Who cares about tech when it all comes down to art-style and design anyway?

. . . You use that label, "graphic whore," but something tells me one of us doesn't know what it means. We know who that person is.

It's probably me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom