Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #42: Chris Avellone's Arcanum Let's Play Begins

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
That was not the options menu, that was herbology.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
For example, that's not a blimp. It's a zeppelin as it clearly has a rigid structure. Maybe that's a cultural thing. Almost every sporting event in the U.S. features a blimp with advertising on it while we Europeans hardly ever see one.

Virgil calls it a blimp as well, to be fair. Just saying.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Shadenuat

Arcane
Which character choice would be the best to finish the game with as few annoyances due to combat as possible?
Phantasm + Conveyance and Persuasion.
That's if you're not interested in combat at all.
As for spells, check on these:
Black Necromantic: Harm and Conjure Spirit. Note that Harm's effectiveness is overhyped - it's most effective against living beings, and less so against undead, machines, and all other stuff (and it does't work on inanimated objects). Conjure Spirit is a very fun substitute for Persuasion.
Conveyance: Disarm, Unlocking Cantrip. Teleport is not neccesary although you might want it to skip combat.
Earth: Strength of Earth, Stone Toss. First one allows to carry stuff and solve "pick boulder" quests, while Stone Toss is a damaging bread&butter spell like Harm, but works on everything and can be used to break doors.
Fire: Agility of Fire is probably one of the better starting buffs for any character. Fireflash allows to quickly dispatch almost any monster group (exept fire/magma monsters).
Force: Most powerful damaging school, but not very cost effective. Shield is a great protection spell, Lightning Bolt and Disintigrate do what they're supposed to do.
Nature: Charm Beast allows to skip 50% combat in game. Succour Beast summons most powerful summon in game if you have high magical aptitude.
Summoning: A very solid school with it's Guardian Ogre, see RK47's playthrough.
Temporal: The gamebreaking school. Hasten and Tempus Fugit turn any build (melee, backstabing, shooting, companions-heavy) into engine of mass destruction.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thanks! :bro:

Some of those spells seem to be actually pretty fun, seems I dismissed the magic system in Arcanum for no reason

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you want fun, can also go for Mental. It's target-specific (living beings only), but taking yourself Gilbert Bates for a walk in the Boil can be pretty satisfying in a LARPy way.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
k, watched it and GOD WAS THAT IRRITATING.
he didn't level up
he only looted the inventories, not the gears
he actually dragged and dropped the stuff instead of right clicking it
he missed the cave

aside from that, i enjoyed it, i'm curious to see him in shrouded hills.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
on thing is for sure, there are some motherfuckers here that really need a mental health check.
sower fucks and self proclaimed intelligent badass, morons who have their blood pressure rise because how someone plays a fuckin' game
really codex is a collection of pathological cases
chill the fuck out!

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
For example, that's not a blimp. It's a zeppelin as it clearly has a rigid structure. Maybe that's a cultural thing. Almost every sporting event in the U.S. features a blimp with advertising on it while we Europeans hardly ever see one.

Virgil calls it a blimp as well, to be fair. Just saying.

I noticed. Like I said, it's not that big of a deal. His way of talking just rubs me the wrong way.

I just remembered that I had a chat with him after he called me an asshole on the old Interplay forums. I was ripping on Fallout 2 (A game I never liked, much of which is his doing) and how I felt that it butchered the setting of one of my favorite games, namely Fallout (1). I was posting under my real name, and my first name is Frank. He replied saying something nasty and put my name in quotation marks. 'Frank'. I asked why, and other forum members pointed out that he probably thought I named myself after Frank Horrigan, a character from the game. Everyone started calling him out on his ridiculous leap of logic and then he contacted me privately. We had a nice conversation and ended up agreeing to disagree. We had a different view on the importance of continuity and metaphysical aesthetics. He was working on Torment then and I was an annoying high school kid writing for vault13.net.

I guess associating him in any way with Arcanum feels like him butchering another one of my favorite games. I no longer care as much as I did in 1999, but apparently enough to ramble about it here. Funny how that works.

So, yes, I'm definitely butt hurt. My point still stands though: He's being a twat.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
on thing is for sure, there are some motherfuckers here that really need a mental health check.
sower fucks and self proclaimed intelligent badass, morons who have their blood pressure rise because how someone plays a fuckin' game
really codex is a collection of pathological cases
chill the fuck out!

newfags will newfag

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
:lol: He really hurt your feelings back then.

The fact that I even remembered it proves that. I feel silly now.

I recall his answer to my question about why New Reno had to be the inconsistent cluster fuck that it was: "Gangsters are cool."

I guess that about sums it up.

EG

Nullified
I recall his answer to my question about why New Reno had to be the inconsistent cluster fuck that it was: "Gangsters are cool."

Must crush MCA . . . :cry:

Israfael

Arcane
after watching it i only have to say this:

Talkpetcomm.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
And they were p. cool indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom