Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #42: Chris Avellone's Arcanum Let's Play Begins

The only other Fallout until then was the original, which was released the year before. The series didn't have much of an identity then. In fact, since every other game in the series follows on FO2's lulzy footsteps, it's funny that people still insist that Fallout isn't really about lulz.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I recall his answer to my question about why New Reno had to be the inconsistent cluster fuck that it was: "Gangsters are cool."
And they were p. cool indeed.

But not for a fallout game :)
Gangster city isn't any weirder than zombie city...like CK said it's p. retarded to go "muh setting" when Fallout 2 happened p. much immediately and is what stabilished the setting.

Also the fact that I played Fallout 2 first may have influenced my opinion :M

EG

Nullified
The only other Fallout until then was the original, which was released the year before. The series didn't have much of an identity then. In fact, since every other game in the series follows on FO2's lulzy footsteps, it's funny that people still insist that Fallout isn't really about lulz.

Why let the children dictate the view we have of the parent?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

This. I don't know, that's quite a weak argument there, CK.
I recently replayed the two fallouts and was shocked that there is such a huge leap in atmosphere and believability jumping from FO1 to FO2. But let's not get into that argument again..

(btw I've played FO2 before FO1 too, that still didn't cloud my judgement :P )

MCA
This made me want to give Arcanum a new try. Which character choice would be the best to finish the game with as few annoyances due to combat as possible? I Once played a gunslinger, that was kind of fun, but I want to try out the magic too. Harm spamming/charismatic leader guy hybrid?

Me too, I want to play the game right now. I've finished with a gunslinger techie of proper manners before. This time, I'll go full derp with a melee character and adopt less than proper manners.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
This made me want to give Arcanum a new try. Which character choice would be the best to finish the game with as few annoyances due to combat as possible? I Once played a gunslinger, that was kind of fun, but I want to try out the magic too. Harm spamming/charismatic leader guy hybrid?
Summoning is really powerful too.

Not so much the view of the parent, but of his whole family. Since you're using a family analogy yourself - let's say you have the Fallout clan, a family of hardy men who came to America seeking a better life.

You have Cristopher Fallout, the patriarch, who is really into the progressive rock he listened to in his youth. Then you have his sons Jeb, Clem, Earl, Bobbi Jo, Mary Lou, Trixie, Crystal, Billy Bob and Carl Fallout, who are all hardcore fans of Insane Clown Posse. Do you think they should be known as the Prog family, or the Juggalo family?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The funny thing is that for all the bashing he takes lately here, Sawyer is the one person at Obsidian who would play the game closer to Codex standards.
I can totally imagine him to spent 10 minutes to master the UI and all his options, and then proceed coldly and with mathematical efficiency to beat the game making only completelly logical decisions.
His commentary on Arcanum design would be...interesting.(and it would cause much butthurt)
Well, not all of us follow the mondblutian school, I for one am looking forward to MCA's commentary on upcoming quests.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not so much the view of the parent, but of his whole family. Since you're using a family analogy yourself - let's say you have the Fallout clan, a family of hardy men who came to America seeking a better life.

You have Cristopher Fallout, the patriarch, who is really into the progressive rock he listened to in his youth. Then you have his sons Jeb, Clem, Earl, Bobbi Jo, Mary Lou, Trixie, Crystal, Billy Bob and Carl Fallout, who are all hardcore fans of Insane Clown Posse. Do you think they should be known as the Prog family, or the Juggalo family?
This family analogy is stupid because BoS and Fallout 3 were made by people with little or no connection to the first game.

It's like saying the AvP movies have as much right to represent the Alien and Predator series as the original movies.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bastard still means they were begot by one of the parents. This is just some assholes coming along later and taking the name.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I recall his answer to my question about why New Reno had to be the inconsistent cluster fuck that it was: "Gangsters are cool."

HE SKOOLED YOU! HE FUKKIN' SKOOLED YOU! OOOOOOOOOOOOOON YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More seriously, new Reno is one of the ebst things about FO series. It has some of the ebst role-playing ever.

On top of that, FO1 has lots of ridiculously l0llzy stuff.

Oh noess.. you foiled my plans by being smart while my smart scientyists and myseflw ere dumb so I'm gonna commit suicide now! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EG

Nullified
And we get into the perpetual fight of "It had great roleplaying" verses "But it didn't fit the setting!"

Sigh.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I like how he claims to have open world ocd, having to do/get everything, then he walks in circles four or five times and completely misses the crashed plane and cave. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom