Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
TSMC starts 20nm mass production in "early 2014", so no 20nm GPUs until then. The quality of AMD's designs is irrelevant here.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Then why not just say that instead "we can clock higher at 28nm"? TSMC isn't the only fab out there. There is Global Foundries which might as well be part of AMD, Samsung, and I think one other one I can't recall now.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Then why not just say that instead "we can clock higher at 28nm"? TSMC isn't the only fab out there. There is Global Foundries which might as well be part of AMD, Samsung, and I think one other one I can't recall now.

I don't know this industry enough to explain the reasons, but AMD seems intent on manufacturing its GPUs and APUs at TSMC. Northern Islands were all TSMC apparently, as will be the case for Jaguar and Sea Islands; the custom APUs AMD designed for next-gen consoles are also being built by TSMC. Apparently AMD paid some serious severance fees to GlobalFoundries for this pleasure, so there must be something important TSMC is offering them.

Gord

Arcane
Intel is on 22nm* for over one year now but will hardly manufacture for AMD, while TSMC and GloFo won't manage to make 20nm ready for large chips and amounts before mid-end 2014, just going by the rumors and news. What else is there? Samsung, and maybe IBM?
I have no idea about their capacity and available processes though.

* aparently there's some marketing involved here, Intels 22nm structures might be quite a bit larger than other manufacturers 20nm, but on the other hand Intel apparently has advantages in their process.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So the Xbone has much worse performance than the PS4, despite costing $100 more? Why do they think anyone will buy it?
Xbox One does, however, boast superior performance to PS4 in other ways. “Let’s say you are using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU – Xbox One will be likely be faster,” said one developer.
Oh, okay, that explains it. I gotta have my raytracing via parametric surfaces and what the fuck does that even mean

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So the Xbone has much worse performance than the PS4, despite costing $100 more? Why do they think anyone will buy it?

Because of Kinect enabled TeeVee of course!

Oh, okay, that explains it. I gotta have my raytracing via parametric surfaces and what the fuck does that even mean

Little to nothing for the practical game development reality.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-we-don-t-do-mid-sized-games-any-more/0121195

Sony: "We don't do mid-sized games any more"

Development has polarised now,” he says. “Our bigger teams are getting bigger and we are not doing many mid-sized games any more. So we are either working on larger projects, or very small ones – many of the latter. I think that trend will continue because people like the big budget, huge experiences. And I love them too. So maybe we may not be able to make more of these in terms of numbers but there is always a demand for the ‘wow factor’.

In other words, the games I'm most likely interested in won't fall into PS-exclusivity anymore. Thanks for clearing that up, Sony!

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
The glorious PC master race will scoff at the console peasants as our hdds overflow with midsize gaming brilliance. The the peasants will scoff at us in envy over how we can have such great games for so cheap, and with no dewrrito hype keeping them afloat. Perhaps the idiots will realize, finally, that consoles are actually more expensive than decent computers.. but their indoctrination into the "buy now, pay later" lifestyle will most likely keep them in the dark.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
gkeAUXI.png

Bruticis

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm planning to build a new PC in November or December, so it would be nice of them to launch something revolutionary by then. Kthanks.

Psquit

Arcane
Whats the point of having an expensive graphic card if almost all the good pc games are old... tis rare to have a good game with crysis graphics

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Whats the point of having an expensive graphic card if almost all the good pc games are old... tis rare to have a good game with crysis graphics

Some people still are interested playing games that come with the semi-renaissance of old-school stuff (Torment, Eternity, MM-X, Star Citizens etc.) that in some cases, requires powerful hardware. And then there's also the odd AAAAAAAAA game out there worth checking out.

People forking out €500+ for a graphics card at release merely for gaming however are fucking stupid.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still a good number of games that are worth playing, in my opinion. Just because very few of them live up to the heyday doesn't mean they're not worth having a go with.

Codex try-hards insisting nothing since 2002 is worth playing. :codexisfor:

Bruticis

Many people just like the hardware aspect, like myself. I enjoy constantly upgrade and tinkering with my PC. I tend to upgrade every year. Has nothing to do with AAA next gen HD graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom