Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't mind 30 fps rendering, but they really gotta increase animation framerates. 10, 12, 15 fps jerkfests are no longer acceptable. Catwoman proves that.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, this could get really ugly for PC ports and Steam OS in particular. Shame because it's small and medium developers that are going to end up having to choose what platform to release their game and pulling the short straw no matter what they decide.

Small and medium developers will usually use a licensed engine like Unity, which will include the ability to build for every platform. Also, their games will likely not be extremely graphically intensive, mandating no platform-specific optimization.

Will be an interesting time for sure though. There's some widespread disdain for DirectX amongst AAA developers, which is one of the reasons AMD introducted Mantle. So, either DirectX (Windows and Xbox One) will be the lead API, causing PS4 and Linux to get inferior ports like they did thus far, or everyone says fuck it, moves to OpenGL on Windows as well, and Xbox One will get shitty ports as DirectX slowly fades into obscurity.

Hard do say what will happen at this point though. Valve clearly have enough clout to push AMD and Nvidia into improving their OpenGL drivers judging from recent events, but the future of their recent endeavors is uncertain to put it mildly. I have faith that Microsoft will make the worst decisions possible, but will that be enough to unseat DirectX?

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Developers could double down and write good code for both DirectX and OpenGL. Even most AAA devs license their engines instead of building one from scratch, so it's really up to what Epic does with UE4.

Gord

Arcane
If PS4 will sell as much better as current surveys seem to indicate and SteamOS reaches some double-digit share, there's a good chance that XBone might be boned.

Black

Arcane
http://wccftech.com/30fps-vs-60fps-30fps-better-story-telling-games/
The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.

By: Usman Pirzada

Hehe, Pizda :-D

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
The 24 fps of the Cinema Industry is roughly equivalent to the 30 fps standard of the Gaming Industry. When you see a video shot at 24 fps / 30 fps there are holes to fill and your brain automatically does this by literally creating stuff out of your imagination : also known as movie magic. The More frames you increase, the less you brain fills in, the less the “magic”.

The more Frames Per Second we increase in our Gaming Standards the less “Magical” they will feel.
I remember when playing Alan Wake (at 30fps) that it felt unbelievably like a movie to me, the sudden attacks of darkness and the way everything was moving about, i wonder if the magic would have been there with 60FPS. If i could clearly see how everything moved – probably not. Likewise in Cinema the Smokes and Mirrors fall away with increased fps – and story telling is all about the illusion. Of course some games would actually benefit from higher frames per second like Racing Games and Fighting Games (Tekken) but Games in which story telling is a main part would do better with the 30FPS Standard.
Liking that piece of shit Alan wake is enough to say that he is full of shit.

Black

Arcane
http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...happens-at-25-framerate-drops-says-guerrilla/

With the PS4 able to push more enemies on screen I asked Boltjes if there was an upper limit? “Yes. It’s about 24,” he replied, adding “but that’s just enemy AI. And there are other types of enemy AI, lots of destructibility, lots of dynamic objects. Those have much higher limits but the amount of AI is around 24″. That leads to the next obvious question of what happens when Enemy number 25 wanders onto the battlefield. The answer from Boltjes is simple: “framerate drops”.

+M

Athelas

Arcane
Previously we were limited. You could have six or seven guys on screen, only two types, and it had to be at a specific range”.

:dead:

Every time I read something about the specs of consoles, it makes me weep for how much games could have developed if they weren't tied to such pieces of shit.

Gord

Arcane
Not that much I'm afraid - popamole multi-platform would still be popamole, only slightly prettier.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
With the PS4 able to push more enemies on screen I asked Boltjes if there was an upper limit? “Yes. It’s about 24,” he replied

twenty fucking four :lol:

any idea of imposing such an arbitrary and inherently artificial made-up limit upon future games development should be met with contempt and utter disgust and the author of such statement shot on sight.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Yeah, Dinasty Warriors can support more, tough graphix take a hit.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Yea but you buy a ps4 for 400$ and forget about upgrading for next 8 years, while when you buy a high end 1500 $ PC today you will have to upgrade it by 2016. Also games will require 30+ gb's of space now. So downloading huge ass games might be a problem on PC.
:retarded:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yea but you buy a ps4 for 400$ and forget about upgrading for next 8 years, while when you buy a high end 1500 $ PC today you will have to upgrade it by 2016. Also games will require 30+ gb's of space now. So downloading huge ass games might be a problem on PC.
:retarded:

How in the world is this getting approved? I thought the point of post approval was to filter out this kind of thing.

Jashiin

Arcane
Previously we were limited. You could have six or seven guys on screen, only two types, and it had to be at a specific range”.

:dead:

Every time I read something about the specs of consoles, it makes me weep for how much games could have developed if they weren't tied to such pieces of shit.

Keep weeping, for another 9 years of underpowered shit toys holding everything back is waiting around the corner, and they've got the dumbed down audience to back it up.

Black

Arcane
Barely Literate
Indeed.

Black

Arcane
Since they have nothing going for them in the present they have to remind their drones about the good old days.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, Microsoft basically managed to fuse the worst aspects of console and PC gaming with the Xbox360, while leaving the best aspects to die forgotten. And funnily enough, Xbox360 lifetime sales are still just a little over half of those of the PS2, so not only have they caused extreme decline, but haven't even captured the marketshare of their predecessors, and managed to lose money while doing it, XboX division still being in the red overall. Typical of Microsoft, really.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, Microsoft basically managed to fuse the worst aspects of console and PC gaming with the Xbox360, while leaving the best aspects to die forgotten. And funnily enough, Xbox360 lifetime sales are still just a little over half of those of the PS2, so not only have they caused extreme decline, but haven't even captured the marketshare of their predecessors, and managed to lose money while doing it, XboX division still being in the red overall. Typical of Microsoft, really.

My very first thread here.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/current-gen-consoles-are-flops.69913/

Hey guys, first thread, be gentle.

The more I read up on the 360 and PS3 the more It seems that even with roughly 60 million units sold respectively between them, both are commercial flops that have cost Sony and Microsoft a fortune.

Both companies have eaten huge losses to try and ship as many units as possible, but sales fizzled out before production costs could come down enough for them to make a small profit and recoup their losses. For them to break even on the production costs it would seem both companies were expecting to sell another 60 million units each after the units became profitable to sell, which hasn't happened.

Publishers haven't helped much either. CoD and other AAA games may seem to sell big, but even with 12 million or so copies of Cod sold, that's only 10% of all console users. Others chasing the CoD market share with clones seems to have hurt game sales overall. 10 strong and distinct AAA titles are going to sell a lot better than 1 strong title and 9 clones, that seems to be proven, but publishers can't seem to take the long view on this.

It seems that the success of the PS2 made both companies think that the 120 million people who brought a PS2 were going to be compelled to get the latest HD machine. Because selling close to 100 million consoles each is the only thing I can think of that could have possibly made Sony and Microsoft money this gen.

Anyway, can anyone enlighten me on the business model Sony and Microsoft were pursuing? I only get nuggets of information elsewhere.

Wow! Paragraphs!

I've since discovered it was much easier to communicate with snarky one liners.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

By: Usman Pirzada

Hehe, Pizda :-D

Anyone who has played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 can attest to how "magical" 60 frames per second feels. As much as I love Sigma 1, Sigma 2 is smooth as silk, and it really adds to the game. Now, this guy might have a point if he were talking about movies/television, where imo 60 fps always kind of felt weird to me. I'm always reminded of soap operas when I see 60 fps movies/TV since soap's usually film with high frame rates for whatever reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom