Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PtD source code download link

Konjad

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://github.com/MatWillows/Prelude

Here is the source code developers of PtD agreed to share with us. Some information I've got from them:

It probably won't be easy to get running, its built on directx 6 and an ancient version of c++ and I was a pretty naive coder back in the day.
I was hoping to get a version up that could build. I'm positive this is the actual latest code, but it's close if it's not. There some solution files there that can at least be opened.

MatWillows/Prelude (github.com)

It was last build with a much earlier version of Visual Studio (2006 I think) and it needs a much earlier version of directX, too.

PreludeBase was the source files for the data. World. Events. People. Rest. GUI. Most of them have a text version in script in the base that was then saved out in a binary format for release. Most of the game can be edited from within prelude itself (world, graphics, schedules, items, event placement), but I can't even recall what all the commands are and there a script window within the game that can be used extensively as well. The code is spaghetti and poorly organized! Some black magic there that it ever really worked. heh. Most locations have a fixed base and then dynamic file for things that can change like items, people, etc...

ToTest was the debug build basically.

:mlady:

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
https://github.com/MatWillows/Prelude

Here is the source code developers of PtD agreed to share with us. Some information I've got from them:

It probably won't be easy to get running, its built on directx 6 and an ancient version of c++ and I was a pretty naive coder back in the day.
I was hoping to get a version up that could build. I'm positive this is the actual latest code, but it's close if it's not. There some solution files there that can at least be opened.

MatWillows/Prelude (github.com)

It was last build with a much earlier version of Visual Studio (2006 I think) and it needs a much earlier version of directX, too.

PreludeBase was the source files for the data. World. Events. People. Rest. GUI. Most of them have a text version in script in the base that was then saved out in a binary format for release. Most of the game can be edited from within prelude itself (world, graphics, schedules, items, event placement), but I can't even recall what all the commands are and there a script window within the game that can be used extensively as well. The code is spaghetti and poorly organized! Some black magic there that it ever really worked. heh. Most locations have a fixed base and then dynamic file for things that can change like items, people, etc...

ToTest was the debug build basically.

:mlady:
Konjad great job. Now we only need someone to make something with the source code, unfortunately I'm an idiot when it comes to such things.
You deserve some badass custom tag for this.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I hope now the Codex big brains can bring Prelude to Darkness to its intended glory!

Once again, good job, Konjad

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Awesome. May the world never doubt Polacks ever again.
Until the next time they talk big, at least.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Awesome :)

Gandalf

Arbiter
This is amazing! Thanks man! Thanks to the devs for sharing this!
THANKS in advance to those who will make an effort to mod the game.
Also thanks to the person who will make a news post about this and to all who read my post!
Thanks guys!

Modron

Arcane
3rd time was the charm apparently, kind of surprised they actually still had the source after all these years.

I opened the project (.sln) with Visual Studio 2019.
You will need to change path for directx imports (to files in "Prelude\Prelude\DXSource").
There are also some strange errors (like initializing variables without type declaration) in code maybe due to older cpp standart (I presume, not sure if what I described could ever have been allowed) but they can easily be fixed.
Still, very enlightening.

Last edited:

Konjad

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Opens without any errors in VS2008

XZ61KKM.jpg

Self-Ejected

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
konrad got so angry they didn't post his reviews on the front page that he pulled source code for fuckin prelude to darkness instead lol
Infinitron

tred

Augur
Beautiful! :salute:
I'm not a coder but if any modders end up needing a sound designer/mixer or music composer just pm me and I'll help.

mondblut

Arcane
Eagerly awaiting the drama between competing restoration projects!

hiciacit

Liturgist
Holy shit, this is amazing! I'm looking forward to being able to play this bug free and actually finish it.

Edit: And thanks to the developers for digging this up and sharing the code!

vazha

Arcane
Please accept my sincere apologies for doubting you - you are a giant among the men, as far as I am concerned. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom