Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
To be fair, he's Malkavian. Maybe he hears voices telling him to delete cookies often.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe he hears voices telling him to delete cookies often.
This is actually what's causing a lot of people here to have problems. Whether intentional on their part or completely circumstantial, if you're somehow deleting cookies for rpgcodex.net (or not whitelisting this site) then the server can't remember who you are and thus triggers a fresh 2FA authentication.

If you use programs like McAfee Security or Norton 360 or even something like CCleaner, these can all potentially delete that cookie that 2FA is looking for when you log in. Exclude RPG Codex from that cleanup list and it might solve your problem.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
King Crispy Yeah I wasn't going to read through 40 pages to figure out who is responsible. I don't care who. I picked you because you're the OP and the tone you opened this thread up with was definitive. So yeah, easy target.
I calmed down since then now that we have a discussion going. If you're not responsible then I apologize.
In my internet settings the IP assignment is set to Automatic (DHCP).
I can log in just fine once a month but every time I have to do it both from the PC and mobile. Enter credentials, send a code to email, go to email, get the code, write the code here....bleh. I'll try the app thing. Not like I have a million of them installed already. I don't need more.
2FA comes up per-device and if you want to use it normally, i.e. only once a month, you need to have cookies enabled wherever you use it. If you're blocking cookies, the authentication will not be persistent even if you have the "remember me for 30 days" option ticked.

Any IP that we block can't access the site at all, so you couldn't get any "partial functionality". So yea, some of what Crispy's written above is not correct.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Any IP that we block can't access the site at all, so you couldn't get any "partial functionality". So yea, some of what Crispy's written above is not correct.
My mistake then. I thought we were using a 2FA method that allowed for either/or. The IP blocking is purely manual as needed, then?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
My mistake then. I thought we were using a 2FA method that allowed for either/or. The IP blocking is purely manual as needed, then?
Not quite, some of it is automatic on the server level based on a number of different criteria for malicious/undesirable behaviour. On the site level, most of it will be manual, though. With some exceptions.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Try doing it in a browser and authenticating and then return to Tapatalk. Alternatively, use the app option instead.

Strig

Scholar
Jesus, the site just limited my privileges until I changed my e-mail. It didn't log me out, just informed me that my e-mail address no longer receives messages from the Dex (it did up until a few hours ago and receives other mail no problem). The new e-mail is on the same platform and Dex recognises it, again - no problem. I couldn't even post in the Site Feedback section which is... a bit 'tarded to say the least. I hate shite like this with a burning passion.

To be honest, I don't know if it's something to do with 2FA but a new thread seems pointless at this point. I am miffed, though. :argh:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It's nothing to do with 2FA, your mail provider bounced an e-mail from the Codex for some reason. Why they didn't do the same on a new account is anybody's guess, as long as it works now, not worth wasting time on figuring out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom