Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Quintessential RPG monster(s)

Quintessentual RPG monster

• Total voters

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
DM-Creature-Ruster.gif

The Rust Monster, a bizarre-looking creature endowed by its creator, Gary Gygax, with the ability to destroy metals, for the sole purpose of making life difficult for the players.

That, and the Gelatinous Cube
ngxHUGD.png

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Went with skeletons because of their versatility in terms of encounter variation, difficulty, and design. Skeletons can be archers, magicians, fighters, fight you with their own dismembered limbs, can be skeletons of animals (skeletal rats!) like the Skeletal Dinosaurs from Final Fantasy 4. They can be like the fast, parrying skeletons outside the Catacombs in Dark Souls, or the giant Murakumo-wielding ones, the 4-armed variant of 4-1 in Demon's Souls, King Leoric, the 6-armed Sword Dancer in Tales of games, or attached to a wheel as in Dark Souls, or attached to a wheel and charged with electricity in Path of Exile. Those stationary, fire-breathing things from Castlevania.

They can be made to have certain damage resistances like piercing and slashing, status immunities like sleep and poison, can be made semi-immortal like Red Bones in Castlevania, and the aforementioned skeletons from Dark Souls.

Great variation with encounter design from resurrecting random bones as an ambush, generic low level encounters, King Leoric as a major boss fight with some exposition, Bassilus the crazy bastard's "friends," Oceiros a skeletal dragon from DS3. They can even be misleading, and be your bro, like the Skeleton that gives you the Manor Key in Shining the Holy Ark!

Seeing Giant Rats in an RPG is usually a disappointment, and are a sign of laziness when creating the the opening "clean the cellar!" quest to get the Hero started, save a few examples like Fire Rats from Inindo, or the Sewer Rat boss from Earthbound. Maybe their bite can add some sort of status effect, but skeletal enemies are really only limited by a developer's creativity. Most players probably wouldn't be upset if you made a fantasy RPG without rats at this point, but a well-designed skeleton is always welcome.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eight-legged freaks get my vote. Giant Rats are almost a mainstay of RPGs, but they're intended as entry-level monsters. Giant Spiders is where you go when you want a worthy opponent.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm still butthurt by the lack of Orcs in BG so I voted for them

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wanted to say Giant Rat, but honestly, Giant Spiders are much more common and probably more iconic at this point.
Went with skeletons because of their versatility in terms of encounter variation, difficulty, and design.
So would you play a game where you fight only skeletons?
Honestly, yeah, I would. Absolutely. In fact, I'd say that an RPG with practically only variations of skeletons could make for an excellent adventure.

When we're taking CRPG:s, I can't even remember one that was completely centered around necromancy and the threat of the undead. It's sometimes a major aspect, but rarely is it the grand threat. Fuck yes I'd like to see a zombie apocalypse & undeads-R-us necromancy-centered campaign with everything from skeleton phalanxes to mindless crypt-skellies waking up in their tombs, to intelligent liches, both good and evil.

Make it the fall of an entire nation into necromancy, now threatening the peace of the peaceful lands.

Plot twist:
The skellies are
actually evil.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I wanted to say Giant Rat, but honestly, Giant Spiders are much more common and probably more iconic at this point.
Went with skeletons because of their versatility in terms of encounter variation, difficulty, and design.
So would you play a game where you fight only skeletons?
Honestly, yeah, I would. Absolutely. In fact, I'd say that an RPG with practically only variations of skeletons could make for an excellent adventure.

When we're taking CRPG:s, I can't even remember one that was completely centered around necromancy and the threat of the undead. It's sometimes a major aspect, but rarely is it the grand threat. Fuck yes I'd like to see a zombie apocalypse & undeads-R-us necromancy-centered campaign with everything from skeleton phalanxes to mindless crypt-skellies waking up in their tombs, to intelligent liches, both good and evil.

Make it the fall of an entire nation into necromancy, now threatening the peace of the peaceful lands.

Plot twist:
The skellies are
actually evil.

Would trade my soul for that.

I approve of the plot twist.
But make it possible to join them.
And take over!

Iznaliu

Arbiter

If you're counting part of an RPG, the first section of D:OS1 is mainly undead.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

If you're counting part of an RPG, the first section of D:OS1 is mainly undead.
D:OS is not a real rpg,doesn't have rats!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom