Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2019/05/star-ocean-first-departure-r-announced-for-ps4-switch

Star Ocean: First Departure R announced for PS4, Switch

A high-definition remaster of the PSP remake.
Star-Ocean-1-R_05-25-19_001-600x338.jpg

Square Enix has announced Star Ocean: First Departure R, a high-definition remake of the 2007-released PSP remake of the original Star Ocean with additional new features for PlayStation 4 and Switch. A release date and price were not announced, but it will be released worldwide.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pixels sent from Japan, delivered by Playism.

ss_c835755bd3b31492d6c003a137742b39f5244953.600x338.jpg
ss_36640a8d60d8d8c08e59d75416b433e0c91f9d7b.600x338.jpg

head01.gif

199X, New Koza
It's the end of the 20th century, on a historic timeline different from that which we know.A manmade island off the coast of Okinawa is humming with a dirty, exotic vibe - and it's awesome!
Rust and faded concrete glisten in the morning sun and the late-night neon, showing off the various faces of the island.

head02.gif

Amazing Soundtrack
Let yourself go to the subtropical sun, the sound of the waves, and the scent of dank weed, and let some real deep cuts and unknown classics of 1990s hiphop take you away.It doesn't matter whether you're chilling on a couch on a rooftop, having a drink at the bar, or capping fools in a firefight in some sketchy alleyway - these dope-ass tracks are gonna get you moving!

head03.gif

Four "Kawaii" Soldiers
Hey you! Do you like hardcore adventures where you take on the role of an even harder-core badass tasked with beating the crap out of a bunch of demons?Well, so do I, but sometimes it's fun to try out something a little different, you know?

These four cute Asian girls coukdh't care less about little photo stickers... They'd rather play with some 7.62x39mm rifles and filthy, filthy cash!

head04.gif

Simple-yet-deep Turn-based Gunfighting
Use simple controls to take down evil gang members and killer robots!In New Koza, you can purchase randomly-generated and extremely powerful guns, 24/7.
Load up a shotgun so powerful you'd burn yourself to toast if the gas leaked and some brand-new fireproof sneakers, find a group of psychotic yakuza thugs, and personally deliver a handwritten invitation to BEATDOWN TOWN!

head05.gif

There's a Dog, Too!
Ruff!

ss_4dee2fd8faa43b482ab8160c5312bf8b7b0ca8a8.600x338.jpg
ss_69c399308fbfb4a9f8b9210b7d373a5df29f70a5.600x338.jpg

Take on the role of Mako on her quest to seek out and subsequently deliver her, uh, deliverables in this top-down view 2D action game.

In accordance with a deal made with self-proclaimed "delivery service" and all-around mysterious entity known as Bumon, Mako has taken a job working as a lackey at the Bumon Delivery Corporation in "Mayoi" - the world of the gods.

She was told that if she finishes up her assigned tasks and collects the stamps of approval for her various deliveries, then she'll be able to return to her own world, but...

Get to work finding and collecting the various items requested in Mayoi.
As soon as you've gathered the items, bring them to the workbench. Once you're finished packaging them, deliver them to the client. Rinse, repeat, and keep on going to see just how the story unfolds.

Outrider Mako features a fun little gimmick in which you can jump on top of your enemies and slime them with goo to stop them in their tracks.
Also, the pixel artwork is chock full of Japanese-style goodness.

Get ready to jump into battle, solve some mysteries, and take on a bunch of collection quests as you traverse the world of Mayoi!
Clear your various requests to receive "Heaven's Blessing" from the gods, making your journey extra-awesome!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And from the emerging Japanese indie publisher Dangen, Pokemon-like RPG. Developed by the team developed shump INFINOS games:

ss_edb0769d362a5bb96459377b2e0c8cb5f80fd3e6.600x338.jpg
ss_bfeefcd22504be37fe9106a793b5e0a9318f0f31.600x338.jpg

Disc Creatures is a tribute to classic monster catching RPGs from the golden days of portable gaming. Choose your three starter creatures and set off as a licensed Disc Ranger (a DiscR!) to tame the greatest of creatures and bring peace to the land!

story.gif

Disc Creatures is set in a world where humans live alongside a wildly varied cast of creatures, all with different personalities, abilities, and moral codes. Travel across a quaint, quirky landscape, taming creatures and helping those in need! Mysteries fill the land of Disc Creatures, and some are darker and more formidable than one might expect...

keyfeatures.gif

• A monster collecting RPG inspired by the classics and hand-crafted with a precise attention to detail and respect to elements that built up the entire genre.
  • 200 creatures to collect and command in battle!
  • A huge cast of charming characters
  • Each creature has a unique skill tree containing moves that can be unlocked through growth and items!
  • 20+ hours of gameplay!
  • A heart-warming chiptune soundtrack perfect for a trip down memory lane
  • Lovingly designed all by a single Japanese indie creator, SATTO!

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://gematsu.com/2019/05/star-ocean-first-departure-r-announced-for-ps4-switch

Star Ocean: First Departure R announced for PS4, Switch

A high-definition remaster of the PSP remake.

Square Enix has announced Star Ocean: First Departure R, a high-definition remake of the 2007-released PSP remake of the original Star Ocean with additional new features for PlayStation 4 and Switch. A release date and price were not announced, but it will be released worldwide.

I'm actually kinda excited for this. After Star Ocean 5 seemed to mostly bomb I figured the series was gonna go the way of Breath of Fire and Suikoden - mostly dead with an occasional mobile game or otherwise super cheap entry that nobody wanted.

SO1 probably has the largest amount of different routes and scenes based on the player's choices in the series, so I'm curious to see whether they enhance that aspect of the game or scale it back in favor of voice acting and big cutscenes. I also mostly like the artwork they've shown so far. I still prefer the SNES' art style the most but this looks better than the super generic PSP art style.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/dragon-...phones-dragon-quest-xii-preparations-underway

At the Dragon Quest Walk announcement event, Dragon Quest series executive producer Yuu Miyake also mentioned the still not formally announced Dragon Quest XII. “By the way, about Dragon Quest XII, which I’m sure is on everyone’s mind—[Yuji] Horii and I are currently making preparations on series developments that will connect to XII. I think it’s still too early, but we would like announce it in some form, so please wait a little while longer.”

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is this Anime Gone Home?:

The family was ready to visit the amusement park, but plans are cancelled due to weather.
This is a story about an ordinary family spending time at home during the rain.

"Rainy Season" is a narrative game that allows players to listen to the calming rain and engage in conversations with the family. The game is playable to finish in 40 minutes.
  • Interact with objects
Touch and interact with various items in the house to learn about them.

Layer_2.png

• Talk to the family
During various times, listen and engage in conversations with the family with a branching dialogue system.

Layer_1.png

• Daydreams
Special events will occur when bored.

layer3.png

Looks like this is an offshoot game to another game the developer is making. And it looks fantastic and seems to have more exploration-based gameplay:

Kaivokz

Arcane
If those are genuine leaked screenshots for the new Tales game, I hope they let Sakuraba loose alongside the shift in art style. His talents are massively wasted by making him write the same soundtrack over and over. I haven't listened to the Bersaria soundtrack, but I assume it's: one cool battle track that sounds roughly the same in every Tales game, a generic happy song for skits, and then a bunch of ominous string pieces.

+various pieces from Shining Force III & Baten Kaitos

Deflowerer

Arcane
I think Sakuraba has even mentioned in some interview that he has been told to compose pretty much generic music by the Tales directors.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I think Sakuraba has even mentioned in some interview that he has been told to compose pretty much generic music by the Tales directors.
That's the kind of shit that led to the Great Eastern Decline to begin with. Overpaid morons in vast office complexes wielding the creative equivalent of a cookie-cutter.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Yeah, you're right.

Motoi Sakuraba: With Xillia, I was requested to not make the sound too thick, so I kept that in mind as I composed. There is a specific color to the Tales sound, and I am careful to not lose sight of it. Personally I would have preferred to do something that differs more from previous games, but it's quite difficult.

"it's quite difficult" unfiltered from Japanese politeness probably means "they won't let me compose anything but generic crap." I mean, the Tales games have some good songs here and there, but 90%+ of it is bland compared to his work on Valkyrie Profile or Dark Souls or the earlier less stuff he composed.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Yeah, you're right.

Motoi Sakuraba: With Xillia, I was requested to not make the sound too thick, so I kept that in mind as I composed. There is a specific color to the Tales sound, and I am careful to not lose sight of it. Personally I would have preferred to do something that differs more from previous games, but it's quite difficult.

"it's quite difficult" unfiltered from Japanese politeness probably means "they won't let me compose anything but generic crap." I mean, the Tales games have some good songs here and there, but 90%+ of it is bland compared to his work on Valkyrie Profile or Dark Souls or the earlier less stuff he composed.
I suppose Tales is subject to the same decay as Final Fantasy, now that I think of it. It's the Walt Disney Model- run it so far into the ground people actually begin to hate it. Rinse and repeat as needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom