Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Jinn

Arcane
I thought they had done it so that you could switch back to the old models? Might give it a run and see....

No, just the old environments, portraits, and music. For some fucked up reason, they couldn't just add the battlefield and combat sprites too.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
For that price, I can wait.

I'd consider buying it just to support the franchise expanding onto PC if you could do a full reversion to SNES or Genesis graphics. I fucking hate the way they did the character models, both on the battlefield and in combat scenes. Terrible stuff.

You weren't lying, damn do those graphics look fugly

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Lodoss War game is out now on EA.

Yeah this is gonna be a short game like other games from the developer.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“Mainly volume of game contents. The full release will be around 5-6 hours of gameplay but the early access version will be about an hour of gameplay.
We will listen to user feedback when considering additional weapons, skills and enemies.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The first level and two bosses. The controls will remain the same for the full release version. We will be increasing the amount of elemental spirits you can use in the future too.”

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still don't see how these guys are still just being paid for promo games, someone hand them a couple mil and a make a full fledged 30 hour metroidvania. Maybe even more, their gameplay is so pristine.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, picked up Touhou Luna Nights despite having not played Touhou or knowing much about it before and genuinely had fun before the game suddenly ended, it feels like the developers have talent and could make something truly great or fun, but are doing short games and being fanboys in a way picking franchises they probably like.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just giving a minor PSA about Final Fantasy Type-0 in case anyone is interested in playing it someday:

Currently the cutscenes are broken in Windows 10 since version 18xx, the codec compatability broke so the game cutscenes show only a blank screen until you mass a button to skip them, OR the game will simply crash on you when a cutscene triggers. In my case it was the blank screen.

Some people reported that installing K-Lite Codec pack fixed it for them but it didn't for me, your mileage may vary. If you want to play the PC version the *only* way to play it now is with an older version of Windows 10, one before the 18xx version rollouts, or simply be on another edition of Windows entirely.

I'm currently on a quest to try to play all of the FFs I never played, so this is amusing to me because just last week I was on Windows 10 ver. 17xx and then decided to update in order to be able to use Game Pass (forces you to update or the App won't run); so If I'd bothered to play this earlier in time I wouldn't've had a problem.

...needless to say it is highly doubtful this will ever get fixed officially, so unless the next Windows 10 updates magically fix this the game will remain unplayable on Windows 10 for the rest of time.

EDIT: BTW, you can check your Windows version by typing "winver" (without quotes) in a run command box (win key + R).

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
For that price, I can wait.

I'd consider buying it just to support the franchise expanding onto PC if you could do a full reversion to SNES or Genesis graphics. I fucking hate the way they did the character models, both on the battlefield and in combat scenes. Terrible stuff.

You weren't lying, damn do those graphics look fugly

Yes I loved the original look of (and generally the game) Der Langrisser - this new look however looks amateurish unfortunately. Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth all the way even if it is only going to be 6 hours long....

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You can switch most (some?) of the graphics to the original through a setting in-game, from what I read on the reviews.

Because yeah, they is some ugly as fuck drawings. Poor Satoshi would be rolling in his grave.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
It's the end of Neptunia. I'm so sad.

Compile Heart president teases announcement of “final entry” in “popular numbered series” in March 28-due issue of Dengeki PlayStation
The final entry in the Neptunia series?

Compile Heart has published a video message from company president Norihisa Kochiwa teasing the “final entry” in the company’s “popular numbered series” in the March 28-due issue of Dengeki PlayStation—likely referring to the Neptunia series.

Standing in front of a wall of blurred out Neptunia series posters, Kochiwa says:

This is an announcement regarding “the final entry in our popular numbered series.”

We recently reported this on the Compile Heart Twitter account, but our new title will be announced in the March 28-due issue of Dengeki PlayStation, which will end its regular publication.

I thought, “Why not reach our finales together?” and took the leap to make this the “final entry.”

A page of our history will conclude alongside the March 28-released issue of Dengeki PlayStation. (Dengeki Online, Dengeki PlayStation Live, etc. will continue.)

I hope everyone will buy the issue and please support us until the end of the venture.

I thought just publishing the news in the magazine first was too small, so I’ve taken this opportunity.

Thank you very much.

The video message ends with the letter “F” appearing on-screen, followed by the text, “Please pick up the March 28-due issue of Dengeki PlayStation, which will end its regular publication.”

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sad Nep Nep noises :negative:

I guess its Compile Hearts most popular IP. There is really no "popular numbered series" other than Neptunia for Compile Hearts

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh no my waifu is gonna fucked by a black man!

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/seg...mei-in-japan-bandai-namco-trademarks-myosotis

Sega trademarks Sakura Wars B.L.A.C.K., Sakura Ishin, and Sakura Kakumei in Japan; Bandai Namco trademarks Myosotis
Plus Interior Night resurfaces.

Sal Romano2 seconds ago50
Sakura-Wars-BLACK_05-11-20.jpg

Sega has filed trademarks for “Sakura Wars B.L.A.C.K.,” “B.L.A.C.K.,” “Sakura Ishin” (Restoration), and “Sakura Kakumei” (Revolution) in Japan.

Bandai Namco also filed trademarks for “Myosotis” in English and Japanese, which lines up with a recent trademark in Europe for “Blooming of Forget-Me-Not.” Myosotis is a genus of flowering plants known by the common name “forget-me-nots.”

Finally, Interior Night trademarked its name and logo. Interior Night is a studio founded in October 2017 by former Quantic Dream lead Caroline Marchal. Sega Europe was initially set to publish its first title—a narrative-driven new IP—but parted ways with the developer in January 2019. The studio has been silent since.

Silentstorm

Learned
Man, i still have to play any of those games, but it seems like a good series, i also notice there is an ongoing anime, how is that?

It does seem to be a sequel to a game which worries me as i know nothing about Sakura Wars...also haven't heard many people talking about it, but that doesn't mean much, i am not seeing a lot of anime places talking constantly about Hamefura as it's going on and that show is charming and awesome as hell, so good stuff sometimes just slips by.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
First Queen 1 NEXT, a remake of 1988 real-time tactical RPG:

ss_9558ca3519319e63ba2ee5684556dfa6301c2df2.600x338.jpg
ss_e75f2662f935ca8f934e809672ca6fb8311ad47d.600x338.jpg

This is a remake of a popular game that was released more than 30 years ago and has been updated and improved.
This game is based on the game first released in 1988 on the PC called "First Queen". (Later, it was also released on home console machines)The game screen has been made larger, battles allowing using a 2nd battalion of troops, and the overall game play has been upgraded to improve playability!

The First Queen Born in Ornic.
The Queen was full of ambition to control the world and began marching south.However, countries that faced her were not unified and fell before her army marching towards Ornic.
With the fall of his country, Count Richmont begins a counterattack with Crucible soldiers.

Original Game System
Your subordinates will usually attack and retreat according to orders, but they will do so based on their individual personalities.There are also characters and items that were not in the original, such as nurses who are dedicated to treat the wounded without any regard to danger and also soldiers who are able to fully use special items.
The tribes that make up the nation may become enemies or allies as the game progresses.
Defeating an enemy leader can turn the concerning enemy troops into allies.

Players can take control of a character and move them out of dire situations. In other words, basically, you are their "guardian".
If the characters are in a battle they can win, you can leave them alone. When fighting against a stronger foe, use of items and other abilities might be required.
A weak character will quickly retreat when their "LIFE" decreases.
If they leave the battle and stay away from enemies, they can quickly recover to fight again.
This has resulted in a system where "even strong soldiers will be in danger if surrounded".
It is a system for heroes to fight in groups instead of facing battles alone.

In the same manner as a typical simulation game, many units are spread throughout the country.
Over time, some enemy units will march towards your castle.
You also need a strategy on where to stop powerful units.

The original was released on PC-98, and was remade for SNES (1993) and Windows (2001). This release seems to be based on mobile release, which is based on the 2001 Windows version.

Hopefully that in-app purchase thing is a mistake or for something trivial.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom